No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-12-01, 6:27pm
Wonder-wench

Default Earring Display Cards from Business Cards

Time Saver: I use business cards for displaying earrings and had been poking the holes in each card individually with a needle. This was time consuming and the holes ended up in slightly different positions for each card.

I'm sure this is not novel, but I just hit on the idea of using my Dremel with a tiny drill tip to drill through a large stack of cards all at once. I used binder clips to hold all the cards together, marked the holes and bingo, bango all cards done at once. Happy Dance and wanted to share in case there are others out there who could use this tip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-01, 6:53pm

Thanks!!! Great idea. And I have the moo mini cards that are a great size for this idea! Awesome

PEACE ON EARTH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-01, 7:00pm
Glass-aholic

Neat idea. They make a 1/8" hole punch that is perfect for earring holes, I use it all the time. I also use it to make tags for other jewelry. It's at most craft stores. There is also a punch made just for earrings more like a scrap booking punch style.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-12-03, 5:50am

you can buy an earring card punch at michaels it makes both holes at once.

Old 2013-12-03, 7:32am

Those are all great ideas, expecially since I also use my business care and have been using a safety pin! LOL
Old 2013-12-03, 2:20pm

Elizabeth,
Thanks for the idea. I have previously used the hole punch technique, but it gets old fast squeezing that thing with a max of three cards at a time. Power tools rule!
Cheryl
Old 2013-12-03, 9:00pm

Where do you find mini cards?

Barbara
Old 2013-12-03, 10:14pm
Wonder-wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriB View Post
Elizabeth,
Thanks for the idea. I have previously used the hole punch technique, but it gets old fast squeezing that thing with a max of three cards at a time. Power tools rule!
Cheryl
Yes, power tools do rule, woot woot!

Plus, no extra stuff to buy, especially since I'm on a self imposed hobby purchase haitus.

Old 2013-12-03, 10:29pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing the idea, that's awesome.

Old 2013-12-04, 6:04am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphousDesigns View Post
Time Saver: I use business cards for displaying earrings and had been poking the holes in each card individually with a needle.
How do you then display the cards? I've always used the black ones that have the shelf in the back built on so they hang on an earring display. Love to see how you do it. Thanks
Old 2013-12-04, 9:31am
Wonder-wench

i made a disply "case" out of a picture frame, added wooden dowels, then put the earrings thru the cards and hang them on the dowels from the ear wires coming thru the back of the cards. tonight i'll post a pic

Old 2013-12-07, 11:25am
Always Improving

We have been using the business cards for earring holders for about a year. Go to Michaels or search online for an earring card punch. Just put the card I. Press the handle and you a very professional looking business card earring card.

Mike...
Old 2013-12-07, 11:58am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphousDesigns View Post
i made a disply "case" out of a picture frame, added wooden dowels, then put the earrings thru the cards and hang them on the dowels from the ear wires coming thru the back of the cards. tonight i'll post a pic
Photo of the display anyone please.
Old 2013-12-07, 12:40pm
Wonder-wench

next time I would use slightly smaller diameter dowels, as they are just a tiny bit big and very slightly stretch the ear wires when pushing them on.

Old 2013-12-07, 12:55pm
state-eternal change

Default from moo.com

Moo dot com is a delightful online business card/paraphernalia company. I love their cards, and I use the mini-cards for my earrings too. They are great for artistic people, as you can upload as many pictures as you would like cards, for the backs. They offer promotions every once in a while, but if you find someone who has ordered them before, they can refer you and you can get 10% off. PM me your email and I'll send you a link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
Where do you find mini cards?

Old 2013-12-08, 12:04am

I have a rustic looking display using two sets of old shutters that I found at a flea market. I turn them down side up so that the slats point up not down, and secure them on the back so they cannot move. I have used my business card before for earrings, but the last time I was running low on them, so I used a very thick paper and wrote my business name on them with a sparkly copper color sharpie, poked the holes in them for earrings and stick the earring cards in the slats. My only problem is keeping them standing in the wind.
Old 2013-12-08, 1:19pm
Phill

Hinge the shutters with eye hooks or actual hinges and open them at right angles and they should resist the wind better.
Old 2013-12-08, 1:52pm

Phill, I am so helpless when it comes to any fixing things, I don't know what a eye hook is. But it sounds good! LOL
Old 2013-12-08, 5:53pm
Phill

Remember the hook and eye latches from the old wooden screen doors?

Here; http://www.lowes.com/pd_58425-37672-...ductId=3058261

They even have some now with a double catch; http://www.lowes.ca/hooks/the-hillma..._g1373200.html

These are easy to install without having to be too fidgety about lining things up like you might with real hinges.

Three of them at the edges of the shutters will tie them tighter well enough that the wind should not knock them over on you.
Old 2013-12-09, 7:00am

Phill, can you duplicate yourself and move to Texas?
Old 2013-12-16, 11:46pm
I speak Murrini!

(This thread made me smile... )

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2013-12-17, 1:56pm

I like using business cards too, but did run into problems when I made longer earrings. I didn't like when they hung off the edge of the card.

Now I use large oversized postcards from Vistaprint. I created a neutral background and can cut 4 cards that are 2" wide and 5.5" tall from each postcard. (My mailroom at work can cut them really fast for me.) So with 100 postcards, I can get 400 earring cards. And if I don't need them that tall, I cut them off. I've used leftover pieces to put bobby pins or hair barrettes on.

As for punching holes, I can do several at a time. I put cork board underneath and punch the holes with a simple thumb tack. The hole works for me… I don't like them too big or too tight.

I don't even try to make my holes in line. I purposefully punch them one higher than the other, by at least a 1/2 inch. I think the earrings just look artsy hanging that way, and well, you really can't mess them up.

Here's the only example i could find handy on this computer...

I can also fold these cards in half like a tent, and have them sit up on the table. And if I want to hang them, I have bought the self-adhesive backs that you just peel and stick on. I cut those in half too, to get twice as many, and they still work great.
Here they are: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's just my 2 cents worth on earring cards. I love seeing what everyone does for displays... some really great ideas all around!

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations

Tags
earrings, jewelry displays, tips