Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-28, 2:15pm

Default Bead Release and a Scorpion

Is anyone with this torch having issues besides me? My bead release now turns to cement and I have to hit the beads with a hammer to break them off, too often. All I can figure out is I'm working a lot hotter. I make boro beads and yes the mandrels do get in the flame, no way around that as the beads are small with several layers to melt in. Just wondering if I'm the only one.... lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-09-28, 4:02pm
offically down under

Hahaha, I have been having the exact opposite problem with my bead release flaking off. So, I got some fusion which turned to cement on the mandrel and I couldn't get them off. Frustration set in so I did the most sensible thing: I mixed them together. Now, I have a decent mix of bead release that behaves as it should.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-09-28, 4:11pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Now, I have a decent mix of bead release that behaves as it should.
Hey Tami,

What do you mix with your Fusion? I'm having a terrible problem with flaking too.
Old 2010-09-28, 4:45pm

Same question, no answer yet! I'm using Sludge Dip-N-Go and I'm not too happy with it. It's either flaking off, or it becomes cement... Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

GTT-Scorpion, Carlisle Lucio Burner / 2x8l 17.5psi concentrators
Old 2010-09-28, 4:53pm

It's getting more interesting then. Right when this started happening I bought some Fusion and mixed some with my Sludge Plus. Mine's not behaving for sure. I have some Red Dog additive here I've never opened. May be I'll just throw some of that into the mix, too. But I'll wait to see if more pipe in here....

Anyone know how to dissolve cement?

Last edited by Rose; 2010-09-28 at 4:55pm.
Old 2010-09-29, 4:38am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Rose, I am not sure I know the exact answer, but I find that if I do not heat my bead release up to redhot before applying the glass that this happens to me when working soft glass. I NEVER have a boro bead stick because you heat those suckers so hot the release probably incinerates.

Old 2010-09-29, 4:43am

Actually you raise a good point Deb. I don't think I'm heating it to red hot before applying the glass because it does incinerate before I'm done with the bead. I think I'll go back to heating it hotter before applying the glass and see if it helps. Thanks!

Old 2010-09-30, 7:34pm

Just straight Fusion for the last 10 years and never a problem. Are you thinning it? I like mine really thin. Here in Colorado I can use tap water to thin...

Old 2010-10-02, 6:30am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Rose, did heating it hotter make a difference?

I use super sludge plus. (the grey one?) and I only ever have a problem with soft glass, and only when I forget to heat up my release to really hot.

Old 2010-10-03, 5:46pm
artiegirl

Well I just started using fusion and 99 percent of my beads flake off the mandrel I have not finished a bead,
so then i added what was left of the dip in go and it actually got worst I bought this from frantz the half of special and i am really disappointed. I dont have anything else either so now im really mad, the fusion is soo watery I tried to get some of the water out but it is still very watery I am very frustrated
Old 2010-10-03, 8:24pm

I use the fusion like heavy cream consistency. I can flame dry or dry and heat to a red glow and make a bead. Okay, I have a question, artiegirl ~ are these new mandrels? If so, have you used a green kitchen scrubby and hot soapy water to clean any residual grease/debris off the. That's exactly what it sounds like to me.

Old 2010-10-03, 8:58pm
artiegirl

my mandrels have been used for a while a few months I just started using the fusion
Friday, and not one bead stayed. I had some mandrels left over from the dip n go ready to be torched and had no problems with those. I called me teacher about it she is going to have a look at the fusion for me. I wish it would have been new mandrels. I called me teacher about it she is going to have a look at it for me.
Old 2010-10-04, 4:16am

Hope that you can solve the mystery and sorry that you are having problems.

Old 2010-10-04, 5:24am

I use fusion and fosterfire mix. My fusion would stick like glue and the beads were hard to get off the mandrel.
My fosterfire flaked and the bead release would break.... so I mixed them and it works great. In the summer I have more fusion in the mix. In the winter, I have more fosterfire..... If it is more humid, I need more fusion in the mix.

I use it on the thick side...

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-10-04, 2:09pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post
I use fusion and fosterfire mix. My fusion would stick like glue and the beads were hard to get off the mandrel.
My fosterfire flaked and the bead release would break.... so I mixed them and it works great. In the summer I have more fusion in the mix. In the winter, I have more fosterfire..... If it is more humid, I need more fusion in the mix.

I use it on the thick side...
This is what I do but I try to keep it on the thinner side.