Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-15, 5:04am
I like fire....

Default How to make Glass Hersey Kisses....

well, its not what I set out to do. Trying 104 for the first time. I wanted to avoid cracking. Now I did worse..... I put them in the vermiculite too hot and deformed my beads into funky (Hersey) kisses shape. Plus they all got vermiculite imbedded in them.

But hey, its a learning experience. Thought I would share what i did.....

BTW - the bad shaped ones are really stuck on the mandrels....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-15, 5:29am
judejudejude

Isn't is fun even if they don't come off. I use them in my plant pots or make a little bouquet in a vase with the ones that didn't come off then you can always see the progress you have made and hopefully not add to many to the vase. keep that fire melting. thanks for sharing
Old 2012-08-15, 5:34am
Unmedicated since '62

ah, memories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-15, 6:22am
Loving learning

There is a fine line there, lose the glow but then into the crock/fiber/whatever or ...
But you're right, it's all a learning experience and each time we melt something, hopefully we learn a bit more about the glass.
What did you think about the difference in 90 and 104 as far as melting & shaping? I haven't tried 90 yet, and am curious about the way it behaves.

Oh, and did you leave them in water for a long time? I normally take mine off dry, but had one yesterday I had to soak most of the day to finally get it off, and once I had one I left in the water for a couple of days. Then there is the one that has been in water for a month and is still stuck!
Old 2012-08-15, 6:26am
Uh-oh means it's too late

I still remember all of my Santa beads (TONS of fiber blanket stuck to them lol) they were all potted plant bound but hey they were part of my journey

Eileen- 90 to me was great it is stiffer but the color palette is so gorgeous and all those odds!!! You do have to anneal a lot higher like 990-1010 for larger work otherwise things just crack. it is great for sculptural work and I even used it to make trees from Pipyr's Boro tutorial

Old 2012-08-15, 6:28am

If you'd like to, you could experiment one more step with them and see if etching will take the vermiculite out of them.

Great Job. I love a person who takes every bead as a learning experience. That attitude alone will make you a successful flameworker.

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2012-08-15, 6:29am
Loving learning

Thanks Michelle, I'll have to consider getting some to try it out.
Old 2012-08-15, 7:51am
I like fire....

I really like the 104 better than the 90. I do agree the 90 colors are great and I dont have enough experince with either yet. as for the stuff beads...
I only own 6 mandrels. so they are coming off - one way or another.....
I did soak them over night and still - nothing.
I have read about using a rivet gun to pop them off
I happen to have a real nice rivet gun... may try that soon if water does not work.
My wife is wondering what I plan to do with all my bad beads...
maybe fill a jar??

Thanks every one.
Old 2012-08-15, 8:24am
Uh Oh....

I don't know about a rivet gun but putting them back in the flame will crack the glass off. You won't be able to save the beads but it will remove the glass from the mandrels. Just be careful as the glass could go flying.....

Old 2012-08-15, 8:37am
Loving learning

Rivet gun plus bead that has welded to the mandrel =

That was my experience anyway. I personally would heat it (very very slowly & carefully so it doesn't shoot pieces everywhere including back at my face, etc. if no kiln to preheat) and then get it really hot & put it in a water jar. But I'm sure there are other methods.

If you don't want to get more from a supplier yet, & you have a welding supply place nearby, you can buy tig welders rod and cut it to make your own mandrels in case you hadn't read that yet. 316L or 308L (316 pricier but they say lasts longer) is what was recommended to me. I did buy some plain 308 when that is all they had, and it is working also, haven't got them marked to know which ones are working out better as far as not bending,

Well I had to go out to my shed to remember what the letter was after the numbers, and I see MewKittie beat me to the shocking it off way, LOL.
Great Minds Think Alike?
Old 2012-08-15, 9:13am
Curmudgeon Engineering

nwmud,

I would like to tell you about the local ISGB chapter called Fire and Rain that is meeting this Saturday, the 18th, at a members studio close to your area. Check out the website, Fire-and-Rain.org for info and directions. Hope to see you there.
Old 2012-08-15, 9:45am

I used to wrap stuck beads in newspaper, put it in between cardboard, empty cereal box, whatever, and smash with a hammer. Now that I have about 10 pounds of Tig rod I just toss them.

Old 2012-08-15, 10:45am
Burnt Wood Beads

Toss the wonky beads in the garden....look pretty!

Old 2012-08-15, 4:33pm
Naysayer

aww yeah, i saved one of mine, i like the memories
Old 2012-08-15, 5:45pm
Melody of Glass

I'm amassing my fuglies and testers in a giant oversized martini glass on my workbench. Eventually, I plan to put them in a clear glass vase and plant bamboo.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-08-16, 7:54pm

Aquarium fish love new scenery.....just sayin'

Andrea
Old 2012-08-16, 8:16pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Mine have always gone in my brother's pond......he passed this year and new people making it their home....think I'll ask if I can still add to the koi building materials!

Old 2012-08-16, 8:57pm
Wow. Just Wow.

Central Welding. Everett, WA.
Old 2012-08-17, 7:32pm
Unmedicated since '62

Umm...stuck beads (dead ones where you want the mandrel back), just stick the cold bead back into the flame (while ducking and wincing)...ta daa!

Oh, somebody suggested that already

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-18, 12:00am
I like fire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenMad View Post
Central Welding. Everett, WA.
they are a little over $20 a pound for 316L welding rods.
Old 2012-08-18, 11:55am
Queen of the milo field

Just be sure you get the stainless steel welding rods, or you'll end up w/a whole bunch of flower pot decorations.

dj
Old 2012-08-18, 4:56pm
I like fire....

316L is stainless steel tig welding rod.