Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-04, 7:38pm

Default William Holland School of Lapidary Arts

Looking for comments of anyone who has attended classes here? Has anyone taken classes from any of their lampwork instructors? Any info would be helpful. The cost of their classes for one week are an awesome price and I am curious about their instructors.
Old 2011-12-05, 7:35am
Peerless Thread Killer

I have never heard of this school, so I googled it. This is only my opinion, but it looks to be very much a lapidary school, with lampwork added as an afterthought. It's very inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. I've never heard of the lampwork teachers, but that doesn't mean they can't teach or aren't any good. Personally, I would look elsewhere for lampworking classes. I tried to find reviews and went 5 pages into google. No reviews. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Old 2011-12-05, 5:09pm

This is my yearly must do. I have taken several classes at William Holland. Yes, it started as a lapidary school but has expanded to other areas of jewelry making over the years. I have not taken classes anywhere else so I cannot compare the instructors to others. Some of the instructors also teach at John C. Campbell Folk School where tuition is far costlier. I have thoroughly enjoyed my experiences. If you would like to pm I would be glad to give you more information. Registration for 2012 classes started today-some classes fill very quickly.
Old 2011-12-05, 5:10pm

Jewelry-cold connection people- Kim St. Jean teaches cold-connections at WH- you can have a week of classes for less than one at Bead and Button.

There are also classes in enameling, glass fusing, silver, wire, silver clay, polymer clay-the list goes on.

Last edited by glvz; 2011-12-05 at 5:14pm.
Old 2011-12-05, 6:54pm

I've taken classes elsewhere with people who teach there and they rave about the place, its on my list of classes to take...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#W122
Old 2011-12-06, 9:12am

There are some really great instructors listed for various classes. And the school has a great reputation.

For lampwork classes, I'm not familiar with any listed instructors. However, I've taken classes from "known names" and would avoid some of those instructors. So it's what you learn, not necessarily how well known the instructors are - some people can teach, some people cannot teach regardless of their skills.

Good luck.

Yvonne
Old 2011-12-07, 6:09am

I have a close friend that takes the lampwork classes there for years. She is an average lampworker and does nice beads. She loves going and taking classes there.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2011-12-07, 9:50pm

It is my understanding they do not pay the teachers (income is only from selling supplies), hence the inexpensive class fees. If this is true, I just think it is wrong...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-12-08, 1:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookies85 View Post
It is my understanding they do not pay the teachers (income is only from selling supplies), hence the inexpensive class fees. If this is true, I just think it is wrong...
Hey Lisa!!! you had a good trip home?

You are correct. I was told if you teach 2 classes you get one for free..... that is it.... That is why they do not have big name people teaching.

They also have a teacher application that is pages long if you want to teach there. They have an approval process that requires hours of work to put together if you do want to teach there. You submit it and they review it. You can make some money selling glass and supplies. But you also get a class list and you can bring it all yourself too.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]

Last edited by Dasi; 2011-12-11 at 5:54pm.
Old 2011-12-09, 11:27am

Actually, if that is the arrangement that the teachers accept, how can it be wrong? The teachers/instructors don't have to accept those conditions. Thankfully the teachers are wanting to share their knowledge with people eager to learn; some students might not be able to take classes otherwise.

If instructors only were in it for the money only, it would be sad. This arrangement seems to reflect their enthusiasm for what they do. Probably it does add to their ability to teach elsewhere. So it's still all good.

Yvonne
Old 2011-12-09, 7:17pm

Yvonne, I think you said it very well. The teachers at William Holland have a passion for what they do and want to share it with others.