No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-01, 3:29pm
Lover of all things color

Default Aether - I'm in love

It looks like Double Helix has a good supply of Aether now. I was one of the idiots one the east coast that stayed up until 3am so I could be sure and get some, only to find out that they have plenty...LOL

I got to try it for the first time today. First of all, right out of the brown paper wrapping it's different. It feels different. Slick, clean and pure. Just beautiful clear glass. It melts like a dream and the only bubbles at all were the ones I trapped in the glass while encasing.

I love this stuff and sure hope that they plan on keeping the stock up for us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-01-01, 3:58pm
one day at a time

When those beads come out of the kiln, would love to see them!
Old 2010-01-01, 4:20pm

Hey Jan,

It a relief to know they have plenty in stock now, but I don't think you were an idiot at all for staying up.....

....just imagine the alternative if they didn't have much stock and had sold out............ HORROR!!!!!!

I bought a few lb's of the seconds this time (which are still better than other glass firsts in my opinion) and will be going back for more firsts when I can save some cash too.

You are dead right about the usability of this glass, smooth and runny and just oh so lovely crisp and clear!

Nat

Old 2010-01-01, 4:37pm
My lab pups - Mojo & Babe

I agree. I've only been lampworking for about 8 months and kept hearing about how much nicer Aether was that other clear glass. I couldn't imagine that there was a big difference in one clear than another - but was I wrong. Aether really is yummy to use and to look at.

|
|

Old 2010-01-01, 4:46pm

You bet Lisi, I got a couple of the test batches too and loved both of them. One of them, that started with "OK" is already gone, boy that is a beautiful creamy color that shifts to pinks and golds and almost reduces in a neutral flame. The other was KA-257 a striking color that was so easy to strike. That's a lot for me, I'm not good with the strikers.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-01-01, 5:01pm
Lampworkaholic!

I got the seconds and I can't tell them apart from the firsts. Amazing, addictive stuff. You can't boil it or scorch it or scum it up.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-01-01, 8:19pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

Is this not the best clear glass you have ever used?? I tried it for the first time this weekend and I love it! You hold it up to another rod of clear glass and man, what a difference! No scumming or boiling, just wonderfully clear glass! I hope they never stop making it.

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2010-01-01, 8:57pm
Will work for glass...

Yay! I ordered a pound of it yesterday. Can't wait to use it!
Old 2010-01-02, 10:03am

I wonder what the process is that makes it so much more expensive than other clears.. even boro..??

Old 2010-01-02, 12:56pm

I just ordered some. I've only been torching for a few years, and I've never been able to find it. Can't wait!
Old 2010-01-02, 1:14pm

You won't be sorry hoopinkat.

Kay, I have no idea what makes it so much different but it is. It sure feels nice in the hand.

I'm getting ready to clean my beads now and then I'll post some photos. But, I am having some kind of trouble. It started about the same time I changed tanks and I'm not sure if the hose is dirty or the propane is bad but I'm getting a slight yellowing. This glass is so clear that I can see the inner layer of encasing, it has a slight haze on it.

I've never hung my hoses to drain and don't even want to face that option. I wonder how often that has to be done. Guess I'll start another thread and see what everyone says. Or do a search first.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-01-04, 10:59am
Likes to melt stuff...

Ordered mine yesterday...can't wait to try it!

While we're on the topic of DH, any reports on any of the test lots from people who've already gotten theirs? Photos? Thoughts? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 2010-01-04, 11:01am
Against the Grain

I finally tried my Aether yesterday. This is the best clear I have ever used! I didn't even have to be careful or adjust the way I work and it came out of the kiln perfect. I'm happy happy happy and so relieved that I can finally get back to doing some encasing.

Old 2010-01-04, 11:18am

I love the one that starts with OK but when I went back to get more it was already gone. It seems to be a lot like Ekho. The other one I got was KA 357 and it's pretty cool, I believe it's a striking glass. It didn't say so I tried both. Unfortunately I admired it too long and it crack after coming off the mandrel. I hate it when that happens. I really try to make sure that I give all my beads a nice soak before going into the kiln but I guess this one was just out a bit too long.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-01-04, 11:28am
Senior Moment

Where did you order it?

Old 2010-01-04, 12:19pm

On the Double Helix website. The test batches are in the "Test Kitchen" section and they still have Aether in the "Glass Rods" section of the store.
http://www.doublehelixglassworks.com/testbatches.aspx

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-01-05, 5:37am
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
On the Double Helix website. The test batches are in the "Test Kitchen" section and they still have Aether in the "Glass Rods" section of the store.
http://www.doublehelixglassworks.com/testbatches.aspx
Thank you so much. I placed my order!

Old 2010-01-05, 7:25am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

*Sigh*.......Aether......(Reverent Pause)......You were not the only one staying up until 3am - I was right there with you! I blew most of my glass budget for the year on 16lbs of it!! I'm tired of issues with other clears and want to make sure that I never have them again - and this is the clear to make my dream come true! It might just be me, but besides its workability in the flame, I also think it sparkles more on the finished bead. Not to mention that it sneers at MAPP/propane scum. It is definitely the Queen of Clears!! I also love the test batches that I got - particularly the TE 320 - and the AULT. I never much cared for the Aurae regular - but I LOVE this! I will be able to post a set over the weekend once I finish it! Jed and Julie sure made a great Christmas for me!!! Cheers! Joan

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-01-05, 9:06am
Rose colored glasses…√

16 pounds!?!?!?!??!!? Holeeee Freakin' Cow!!!!! Isn't that a lifetime supply?

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-01-05, 9:09am
thecoralcat

!LOL! Would that it be so, Chrissi! But - it goes quickly as it melts like butter and beckons you to make yet another encased bead....... (Sorry - this glass just makes me want to go all Shakespearean and stuff....)

NEW TUTORIAL!
Old 2010-01-05, 9:32am
Born Facing Left

It is the clear glass of my dreams. And now, it's the clear glass of my realities, too.

Old 2010-01-05, 9:39am
da General

Double Helix has more Aether Seconds available!!!! The Seconds are better than most Firsts from other brands . . . the Firsts are just heavenly!

I am just thrilled that it's available for everyone to try now!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-01-05, 10:16am
I speak Murrini!

Woo Hoo! I just got me a couple lbs.; hope this is a consistent, regularly stocked clear that loves me (for a change!)

I'm gonna be trying it on the Hot Head...anyone else use Aether with a HH? I've been using Lauscha Soft Clear 104 (which is magnificent, don't 'cha know!) but I've bought all I can find in the smaller diameter 4mm-6mm rods; seems most of what's left available is larger (8mm and up) and I'm not good with fatter rods! Plus, although I've not personally had cracking issues, I know some silver glasses HATE Lauscha - and I want a clear, clear, that won't give me (or my murrini customers) problems.

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-01-05, 10:41am
Fire Monkey

I use Aether with a HH De. It's great!

Old 2010-01-05, 11:04am
thecoralcat

Me Too! No cracking, scumming or bubbles! ....Now, if I can just someday make beads half as good as Holly's..........

NEW TUTORIAL!
Old 2010-01-09, 1:59pm
Likes to melt stuff...

Got my shipment...and I love Aether so much I want to marry it!
Old 2010-01-09, 4:48pm

De, I've been using Aether with a HH, too, and have had no problem. I really like the way it encases.

Old 2010-01-09, 4:56pm
product of the universe

aether is an awesome name for a clear glass. Makes me think of light traveling through the vacuum of space.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-01-09, 9:34pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdreschaneman View Post
Got my shipment...and I love Aether so much I want to marry it!
Take a number.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-01-09, 9:46pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdreschaneman View Post
Ordered mine yesterday...can't wait to try it!

While we're on the topic of DH, any reports on any of the test lots from people who've already gotten theirs? Photos? Thoughts? Bueller? Bueller?
Deirdre - yes, there's a thread about the new test lots.
Look here: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=150146

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->