Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-07-30, 6:20am
Does my glass look 2 big?

Default Bead Presses - Need Help Chosing One.

Hello,
I don't own a single bead press. These guys are really pricey, aren't they. Anyway, birthday coming soon and I told my DH I wanted a couple of bead presses, I just don't know which ones to get.
Is there a brand in particular that works better or simply if I plan to buy more would be best to have the same brand?
Perhaps the ones that have 3 different sizes say of lentils or pillows in the same press?
Any comments about the ones you love will be greatly appreciated!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-07-30, 6:35am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I think I would start out with the Dual Crunch or Lentil Trio.. My preference is Cattwalk but thats a personal choice thing.. Whether you want to buy the base.. Cattwalk has a deal that if you buy the base you get the press for free. I think thats the deal. www.cattwalk.com You might be able to pick one up in the garage sale. they come up all the time..
Old 2006-07-30, 7:12am

I am a press junkie. But my favorites are the Cattwalk lentil and a Zoozii nugget kalera. Both are easy to use and make three different sizes.
Lori
Old 2006-07-30, 7:14am
In search of her path....

I really like the Cattwalk Button, Anniversary Special (if they still have it up), and the Crunches

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-07-30, 7:27am
Certified Glassaholic!

It really IS a personal preference thing. I started with Cattwalk presses but have since switched over to Zooziis presses.

The main reason I switched is that I personally prefer the accuracy that the Zooziis type presses give. Even with the base for the CattWalk presses there isn't the same precision in alignment that, for me, sometimes meant pressed beads that weren't as sharp as I wanted.

It takes time to learn to use both types. Like I said, I replaced all my Cattwalk with Zooziis and have not regretted it.

As a beginner I would recommend the spree instead of the lentil for the simple fact that you will find it easier to get good ends. I would also recommend the basic shapes to start - anything round or square. The tile or crunch type presses would be good.

Cheers!

-Yee

Old 2006-07-30, 7:39am
A True Woofer

Amy (Zooziis) is my best friend and I have presses from both manufacturers. I happen to prefer Amy's presses because of the pins, but there are some shapes that only Cattwalk has. Same thing - there are some shapes that only Zooziis has. I don't think you have to "align" yourself with one side or the other, because if you do, you might miss out on some nice shapes. Just my opinion. I say go for the shape you like.

Old 2006-07-30, 7:40am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

I think everyone buys a lentil as there first press but you know what ? it is one of the hardest presses to usel I still can't get good ends with it and I got it for christmas!
The press I would recommend instead is the cattwalk button. It has four cavities which is great and munch easier to use. That would give you one round shape.
If you are only going to get one press I would recommend the kalera nugget. One of the easiest presses to use!
Also like what was said above a crunch is really each to use. i have the dual crunch.
A crystal is also good.
But honestly I would get a zoozii kalera nugget first off and if there is money to buy more get the special base/tool offer and get yourself a dual crunch and base from cattwalk. They have free shipping which I love. i personally won't buy from zoozii because the postage to australia is crazy! Cattwalk ships to me for free. I have to wait until there are 3 of us on my local forum to make it worthwhile to buy a zoozii tool! In the end if I do it that way it costs me about $67 us a tool which would be cheaper than paying the postage.
Old 2006-07-30, 10:42am
Does my glass look 2 big?

Great!
I can make an educated guess. I think one of each of the major press manufacturers would be good.
I like the graduated button, seems like I could get good use out of that one. Are the pillows too hard? I like the zoozii pillow trio!
That would give me a round and a square, right?

Old 2006-07-31, 7:20pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by closer2fine
Great!
I can make an educated guess. I think one of each of the major press manufacturers would be good.
I like the graduated button, seems like I could get good use out of that one. Are the pillows too hard? I like the zoozii pillow trio!
That would give me a round and a square, right?
Get the Kalera Nugget instead of the Pillow. It's a nicer shape and easier to use. (It's square, also)

Old 2006-07-31, 9:16pm
A Splash o' Glass

I have the pillow and lentil. I hated the pillow at first, but now am loving it. It takes some PPP, but it's worth it in the long run. Now I'm contemplating whether to go for the diamond or round tile. I think the tile may win, but I haven't placed the order yet. Decisions, decisions......

Old 2006-07-31, 10:07pm

My favorite shapes right now are the Kalera nugget & the straight sided lentil(Zoozii). I too love many of Cattwalk's shapes but have been buying the Zoozii ones because of the accuracy (the pins ensure perfect alignment consistenly), space the presses take up on my bench and the ease of storing them. The pins hold the top in place so I don't have all these tops tipping over and bottoms floating around on my work space. Also many of the Zoozii presses are interchangeable, for example: a tab bottom with a lentil top will give you a nice domed tab, the Kalera and the rectangle together make a nice domed rectangle bead. I think they all are similarly priced so it's just a matter of preference. If I could afford it I'd have every press both companies make!!

Old 2006-08-01, 9:37am
FKA Stacia

I've stuck with the Zooziis because I just don't want to mess with the base and switching out, etc. Anyway, for a beginner, I'd say the easiest one so far for me has been the Kalera Long n/lean. Nice shape against the skin and easy learning curve. I want to try the spree. I found the regular lentil not that easy to master. It took some time. Good luck

Stacia