Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-10-13, 10:11am

Default More Striking Q's..

1. I can get Great colors when I dont encase my amber purples...however if I do the exact same thing but then encase them in clear my dark poppy colors dont show up at all.

is there something else I need to do when encasing them? wrong clear glass to encase them in?

2. Kiln striking. I know sometimes it takes a few times to get those colors to show. What if they arnt after 3-4 times in the kiln, they are not showing. Like a purple amber implosion pendant that was light yellow(1st kiln) now a dark yellow/Orange(3rd) still no purples.
Do I just keep going until I get what I want out of it?
or is there a point it's just a lost cause for that color, stop wasting electricity.
Old 2011-10-13, 10:26am
Formerly Bakerman44

you may have trapped the haze under the clear. be super carful when encasing so that you dont bring the haze to the surface when encasing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-10-13, 10:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamedrose View Post
1. I can get Great colors when I dont encase my amber purples...however if I do the exact same thing but then encase them in clear my dark poppy colors dont show up at all.

is there something else I need to do when encasing them? wrong clear glass to encase them in?

2. Kiln striking. I know sometimes it takes a few times to get those colors to show. What if they arnt after 3-4 times in the kiln, they are not showing. Like a purple amber implosion pendant that was light yellow(1st kiln) now a dark yellow/Orange(3rd) still no purples.
Do I just keep going until I get what I want out of it?
or is there a point it's just a lost cause for that color, stop wasting electricity.
As to encasing silver colors, some definitely do look different to me after encasing as well. There is often a reaction that occurs between the clear and striking color. I sometimes use this to my advantage, though, if I am looking for lots of color variations. Also, I see differences in the final result depending on what brand clear I use to encase. Experimentation is key here.

I often kiln strike as many as 5-6 times. When I strike in the kiln I just leave the pieces in the kiln until I like the result. Again this is dependent on the glass and the kiln conditions so I think you are gonna have to experiment until you find a cycle you like for a particular color. I prefer to use colors that I can strike right in the torch. What is your kiln striking schedule?
Old 2011-10-14, 5:35am
Pyromaniac

Encasing or imploded amber purples have always been hit or miss for me. A lot of it has to do with the clear... and a lot has to do with how you work it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamedrose View Post
2. Kiln striking. Do I just keep going until I get what I want out of it?

It's never a lost cause if you just keep your pieces in the kiln while you work other stuff =) Your pieces will continue to develop color over time in the kiln. The color may not be what you'd anticipated, but that's the magic of boro

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-10-14, 9:04am
Formerly Bakerman44

to add to what's already been said...you might be using too thick of a rod to encase with...what size do you use and how do you encase? do you lay a 7mm rod on top and just shape it around the piece or do you press your rod in to the piece as you encase making your layer much thinner? I like being inconsistent with thicknesses, personally. It gives more windows for different colors to pop out and I only kiln strike once...of course I enjoy some of the amber in AP and DAP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-10-15, 11:16am
Glassy Broad :-)

I have been known to re-heat the piece after it's been in the kiln a few times.
Don't know if this is "Kosher" or not, but I've always been an instant gratification kinda gal
I have a few pieces that have been in the kiln for 4 or 5 days, and they are getting closer to what I want. Thinking today after an hour or two soaking, I might bring them out and put them in the flame again. As I said...instant gratification LOL!!! (Only not so instant eh?)

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2011-10-15, 11:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitadee View Post
I have been known to re-heat the piece after it's been in the kiln a few times.
Don't know if this is "Kosher" or not, but I've always been an instant gratification kinda gal
I have a few pieces that have been in the kiln for 4 or 5 days, and they are getting closer to what I want. Thinking today after an hour or two soaking, I might bring them out and put them in the flame again. As I said...instant gratification LOL!!! (Only not so instant eh?)
I dont think theres anything wrong with re heating and torch striking at all. I am also kinda an instant gratification person. In your experience is there any advantage to kiln striking a couple of times before working the strike in the torch versus just torch striking once?