AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-11-15, 12:01pm

Default Stringer Drawing Tutorial?

I'm looking for a tutorial on stringer drawing, and having trouble finding one. Something that would teach me how to do things like these, and more:
http://www.mesaartscenter.com/sysimg...na%20396_3.JPG

Stringer application in general is a challenge for me, in terms of controlling the heat, the thickness of the stringer, etc. That's why my implosions do not look good

Can anyone help? They do not have to be free necessarily.

Thank you!
Old 2013-11-15, 1:21pm

This will help you http://www.jcherrell.com/practice.htm#home%20in%20zone

Essentially there's a zone of heat that lies outside the visible flame that is hot enough to melt the stringer - these are the shoulders of the flame.

Take one of your stringers, hold it between your thumb and index finger with the tip pointing toward the table and at about the height of the center of your flame. Start with the stringer out away from the flame about and inch and slowly move it toward the flame. Depending on the size of the flame and the thickness of the stringer you'll see the tip begin to glow as you get close to the flame. The distance you work away from the flame has to do with how thick a stringer you're working with - stiffness of the color also changes where you work.

Any easy way to practice is to take a rod and make a small gather and flatten it with your mashers. This paddle can be used to draw on. Play around with painting stringer patterns on the paddles then you can twist them up for canes to use in other beads.
Old 2013-11-15, 1:24pm

Thank you!!!
I will try this tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonst View Post
This will help you http://www.jcherrell.com/practice.htm#home%20in%20zone

Essentially there's a zone of heat that lies outside the visible flame that is hot enough to melt the stringer - these are the shoulders of the flame.

Take one of your stringers, hold it between your thumb and index finger with the tip pointing toward the table and at about the height of the center of your flame. Start with the stringer out away from the flame about and inch and slowly move it toward the flame. Depending on the size of the flame and the thickness of the stringer you'll see the tip begin to glow as you get close to the flame. The distance you work away from the flame has to do with how thick a stringer you're working with - stiffness of the color also changes where you work.

Any easy way to practice is to take a rod and make a small gather and flatten it with your mashers. This paddle can be used to draw on. Play around with painting stringer patterns on the paddles then you can twist them up for canes to use in other beads.
Old 2013-11-15, 1:29pm

It's possible that some of those beads contain murrini, just a guess.

But yes, ^^this is good advice.

Good luck!
Helene
Old 2013-11-15, 1:38pm

I was think the same thing too, but it looks like most of it can be done with dot's and raking. The mouths look like they've been picked/pulled and some of the arms could be raked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofsheba52 View Post
It's possible that some of those beads contain murrini, just a guess.

But yes, ^^this is good advice.

Good luck!
Helene
Old 2013-11-15, 7:36pm
What was I thinking?

Corina Tettinger produced a DVD about stringer that is available at Frantz and other outlets.

Kandice Seeber has a good stringer tutorial that is available here:

http://www.coloraddiction.com/stringer.html

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-11-17, 10:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedradesigns View Post
Corina Tettinger produced a DVD about stringer that is available at Frantz and other outlets.

Kandice Seeber has a good stringer tutorial that is available here:

http://www.coloraddiction.com/stringer.html

Good luck!
I posted about stinger back in July and these two were so very helpful for me. The DVD is well worth the money and having the visual part to watch as many times as I needed really help me A LOT. You really can't go wrong investing in either one or both.
Old 2013-11-17, 11:00am
I fart diamonds

Just thought I'd post my 2 cents about stringer tutorials. I haven't seen Kandice's but I did have Corina's and it didn't help me one bit. I can't do it her way. I don't even pull stringer her way! The only thing that I've found that worked for me was practice. There are a ton of free videos on youtube to watch to see how someone else does something and then adapt to your own needs.

(I'm not saying don't invest in tutorials. I'm saying don't spend a ton of money on stringer tutorials and then expect to magically "get it". Stringer control takes a LOT of practice.)

Old 2013-11-17, 11:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
(I'm not saying don't invest in tutorials. I'm saying don't spend a ton of money on stringer tutorials and then expect to magically "get it". Stringer control takes a LOT of practice.)
Forever and ever amen!
Old 2013-11-17, 12:01pm

Yup!

Old 2013-11-18, 1:17am

Just a quick note - thank you for recommending my tutorial.

Also, I have a somewhat different method than Corina, if that helps. And if people buy my tutorial and it turns out that it's not useful to them at all - they can contact me for a refund. I definitely want to be helpful.

Old 2013-11-19, 7:27pm
Gay rights R human rights

This is something I want to work on as well. Specifically scroll work. So I have started doodling on paper. everytime I have some spare time, a pen and paper. I want the action of drawing scrolls to become second nature. now to try it in glass!

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2013-11-21, 9:08am

for simple practice try making stringer with the same color as the base bead. That way you can work with heat control, then melt it into the bead, and try again!

- A work in progress

Old 2013-11-21, 9:41am
Slogan Challenged...

I found a good thing to do with stringer is to pull different sizes, from hair thin to 1-2 mm. Learn what size works for you the easiest in terms of control, and then work your way down if you want finer lines. If you don't melt the stringer in, it can be a little thicker and still look good on a smaller bead too.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-12-17, 7:28pm

Another useful idea is to start out practicing with clear-encased stringers. Use a stiff clear, like CIM or Effetre so they melt even more slowly. If you apply these stringers to a clear-encased bead, the extra clear pretty much disappears. It's the only way I can manage hair-thin stringers. But then, I like to work super hot, using both the inner and outer flames on my Scorpion. Drives me nuts to have to slow down and work with a small, cool flame.
Birdy
Old 2014-03-07, 9:05am
Artistically Absorbed

Practice spirals on a coin or tab shaped base, it is easier because you have a flat table vs a 3d face until you master the sweet spot. Unfortunately, all torches vary a little on the sweet spot, but once you find yours it will become second nature.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-11-04, 5:55pm

Heads up..Coloraddiction's. Stringer tutorial is now at her etsy shop here:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/kseeber?se...tion_leftnav_1