Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-07-06, 4:58pm

Question Vet Odd Candy Apple

Can someone PLZ tell me why this glass looks so lovely in rod form and on the mandrel and when it comes out of the kiln is is NOT red, it's like opaque orangey salmon with no translucency or shimmer like it is supposed to have?

I made spacers and encased a couple in clear. All came out the same color.

The sparkle tangerine and pineapple sparkle came out normal. Just the red seems to be odd looking.

BTW, pineapple sparkle isn't really all that sparkly but the sparkle tangering is to DIE FOR. Gooorgeous!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-07-06, 6:18pm
Storm Queen

Do one test bead and cook the red until it's clear and then strike the color back into it and pop it in the kiln. See how that one turns out.

Old 2007-07-06, 7:06pm
A True Woofer

I got some Candy Apple Red that looks just like Orange Punch in the rod; so much so that I think it was a mistake.

Old 2007-07-07, 7:19am
Midnight Torcher

I have the same problem with my Candy Apple.

I also have some Orange Punch that seems to go blood red. I wonder if they were somehow mislabeled?
I wouldn't blame them--the rods look so much alike.
(I know I didn't mix them up because I am using the rod with the label from the vendor.)

Old 2007-07-07, 7:38am

dont know about this color but rubies in boro if let sit too long in kiln muddy. they go strike for 10 min only, longer and they get opaque and livery looking. also best if kiln struck and put in kiln clear, flame struck rubies tend to muddy as well. hope someone figures it out, sounds like it should be a beautiful color. are their compatibility issues with any vetrofonds with moretti? i use the clear now only.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-07-07, 9:28am
Present tense

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
I got some Candy Apple Red that looks just like Orange Punch in the rod; so much so that I think it was a mistake.
I thought this too. And the way the end of the rod looked after heating, I was sure the rods were mislabeled. But after annealing the beads, I see the rods really were labeled correctly. The Candy Apple Red is a nice, rich, sweet, semi-translucent red. (Enough adjectives there?? ) The Orange Punch came out definitely opaque with reddish and orange streaks.

Laurel, do you also have some "Orange Punch" that you can melt to see if that's really your Candy Apple Red?

As a side note, I soaked some Candy Apple Red beads at 950F for at least 8 hours before annealing for 1 hour at 960F and they're not livery at all. The beads that were in the flame longer seem to be more opaque though.

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2007-07-07, 12:43pm
A True Woofer

Well, what happened to me was I got my 1/4 lb of each color from Frantz. Then I ordered more when I could from another supplier and I took the "candy apple" and by mistake placed it in the bin with the orange punch. In order to try to determine which rod was which color, I melted each rod of each color into a paddle, and the "candy apple" I got from supplier #2 was identical in every respect to Orange Punch. Supplier #2 was extremely apologetic and kind and sent me more "candy apple" at their own expense which was still identical to the orange punch. So I think that Supplier #2 got the wrong stuff from Frantz.

I have since ordered from Supplier #3, and was sent rods that matched my original Candy Apple.

Old 2007-07-07, 3:44pm

Nope, I only ordered the three Vet odds, Tang Sparkle, and Candy Apple, sunshine yellow (haven't touched that one yet).

The end of the rod looks red. The beads which were annealed at 950 for about 1hr, only, all ended up a corally orange. There is no shimmer, no richness, no redness.

I'm on a mini CC with 10lpm concentrator turned to 8lpm, and I thought I was using a neutral or oxidizing flame.

I reduced one just to check and I'm not including that one in the 'weird color' thing, because it was intentional.

The orange is excellent though, I really love it. It's shimmery, and orange juicy. NOT thrilled with the pineapple 'sparkle' either.

Old 2007-07-08, 12:43pm

Ok, heated the SNOT out of the Candy apple and got a mango color when it cooled.

One bead, I dodn't really do much with just a quick wrap and into the kiln is somewhat red, sort of.

SO, What do I do now?

Old 2007-07-08, 12:59pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst_briolette View Post
Ok, heated the SNOT out of the Candy apple and got a mango color when it cooled.

One bead, I dodn't really do much with just a quick wrap and into the kiln is somewhat red, sort of.

SO, What do I do now?
Sorry, it was worth a shot. It sure sounds like you didn't get Candy Apple Red. However, I don't have this color so I'm not much help. I just know that Lauscha transparent red and some other transparent reds like to be worked until clear and then they are a nice rich transparent, non-cloudy red.

Old 2007-07-08, 1:58pm
I'm a lilac!

I ordered Orange Punch from Frantz and it comes out looking like this:

so I assumed I had received Candy Apple by mistake... I really want Orange Punch though!

Old 2007-07-08, 2:33pm
A True Woofer

:drool:

Kalera, those beads are gorgeous. I think Frantz has the two colors mixed up, as that's where my Supplier #2 gets their glass.

Old 2007-07-08, 3:46pm
glass nerd!

That is a gorgeous color.
Old 2007-07-08, 6:04pm

Yes, you are all correct, we did have a mixup with some of the Candy Apple Red. We are now sorting all of the Candy Apple Red. If you ordered Candy Apple Red and got the wrong item, please give me a call or call our sales department and just explain what you ordered and what you got and the best way for us to fix the problem. We want you happy!

mike frantz

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2007-07-09, 12:43am

Ok, See.. Kalera, baby, you got my Candy Apple.. lol Wanna trade for my Orange Punch? I only bought a 1/4 pound though. Still got Half of the tester rod and the rest of the poundage.

Old 2007-07-09, 12:52am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

That is what I thought, you all got rosehib/orange punch instead of the candy apple

Old 2007-07-09, 1:21am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Holy geez. That Candy Apple color is deeeeeeeeeeeeelicious! It sure would make some purty vessels...

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-07-09, 9:25am

Thanks Laurel for the link.
I also called Frantz and talked with Tim.
He has informed me of their mistake and I am making my changes on my website and EBAY.
It would have been nice to have been informed by them sooner. Donelle will send out the right color with your current order .
Now I have to figure out who else I have sold some to.
Thanks Laurel,
Bill Thornton Toll Free Number in the USA 1-877-477-5669
Old 2007-07-09, 5:05pm
Glass my new Obsession

Holy Crap Kalera that is a gorgeous gorgeous color!!!

Old 2007-07-09, 5:13pm
Glass my new Obsession

Well I finally caved and bought Candy Apple, Banana Cream and Tangerine Sparkle

Old 2007-07-09, 5:55pm
I'm a lilac!

I am OK with my Candy Apple Red as long as my new order (which UPS for some reason thinks they "can't deliver") has the Orange Punch in it!

Old 2007-07-09, 9:43pm
Glass my new Obsession

I will be stalking the mailman!

Old 2007-07-14, 10:35am
Certified Glassaholic!

OK....I made beads with my new "Orange Punch" and got beads that look like Kalera's. So.....does that mean I got Candy Apple Red?

Booo....

-Yee

Old 2007-07-14, 11:02am

I just did the same thing Yee! I was wondering why it didn't look anything like orange punch but after the name fish pink.....*shrug*
So I got candy apple instead of orange punch too. I kinda like it now that I know.

Old 2007-07-14, 11:43am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

the beads Kalera made are candy apple

here are two pics to help you compare side by side

this is orange punch

and this is candy apple.

* sorry, big pics, I know*

Old 2007-07-14, 11:48am
Broken

Yup my orange punch appears to be candy apple too..........sigh............it's hard enough keeping track of all the colors I wish everyone would use the same name and number to make things easier.

Old 2007-07-14, 11:35pm
Superkitty

Sigh... I think I got candy apple instead of orange punch, too. So now I've mixed my orange punch from my first order with candy apple from my second order. Great. Is there any easy to sort them?
Old 2007-07-14, 11:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Sigh... I think I got candy apple instead of orange punch, too. So now I've mixed my orange punch from my first order with candy apple from my second order. Great. Is there any easy to sort them?
I was told that the Candy Apple are more translucent, have a thinner color core in the middle and the orange punch have more rod to rod variation.
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-07-15, 12:05am
I'm a lilac!

I got my Orange Punch... the Candy Apple is very translucent and deep red, and the Orange Punch Has a lot of opacity, so you can tell right away when you heat them!

Old 2007-07-15, 8:37am
Glass my new Obsession

I can't wait to melt this glass!I hate the weekends LOL DH always has me doing a million things when all I wanna do is melt glass!
Tina