LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-10-30, 11:35am
Torch junkie

Default Anyone interested in Dragon wings?

I know there are lots of different ways to make wings for your critters, but was wondering if anyone would be interested in knowing how I make the wings for my dragon pendants. The wings are made separately from the body of the dragon, placed in the kiln or on a hot plate to keep them warm and then after the dragon is made I attach them to the body like this-

I use boro glass, but the process could also be applied to soft glass, it's just a matter of technique and practice. I know you would probably also want to see how I make the rest of the dragon too, but for now the wing tutorial would help get you started making wings for your own critters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It's not the torch you have that makes you better. It's what you learn to do with the torch you have, that makes you better."
Old 2008-10-30, 11:50am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Yes!
Yes!
Yes!
Yes!
Yes!
Yes!
Yes!
Yes!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-10-30, 12:58pm

Ditto what she said!
Old 2008-10-30, 1:04pm

Triple ditto!!!!!!
Old 2008-10-30, 1:10pm
da General

Oh, YES, PLEASE!!!!

I actually want one of your dragons!!!! When are you listing some on da Bay? I have been stalking your store!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-10-30, 1:13pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Yes!
Yes!
Yes!
Yes!
Yes!
Yes!
Yes!
Yes!
Ditto! Me, too!! Me, too!!

Old 2008-10-30, 1:21pm
Always smiling, again.

AND HOW!!!

Old 2008-10-30, 2:06pm

Did you say something, Karen

I agree with everyone, yes!

Old 2008-10-30, 2:11pm
birdergirl ~o~

Yes , Especially if you include soft glass process!!!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-10-30, 2:35pm
Torch junkie

Ok This is exactly what I wanted to find out and y'all have convinced me to offer this tutorial. It is now currently for sale in my etsy shop for $10.00.

Cadia, the technique it the same for soft glass or boro, it's just a matter of applying the steps learned to the soft glass and then keeping the wings warm on a hot plate or in the kiln. So that you can carefully heat them back up and attach them to your dragon or critter.

"It's not the torch you have that makes you better. It's what you learn to do with the torch you have, that makes you better."
Old 2008-10-30, 3:05pm
Gay rights R human rights

Got mine!

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-10-30, 3:25pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

got mine!

Old 2008-10-30, 3:29pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Geeze Rog, it's been 30 seconds - what's taking so long?

Old 2008-10-30, 3:35pm
Torch junkie

LOL Karen, it should be on it's way!

I'm also looking for some feedback on this, so let me know how it works out for you and if you like my writing style. If so, I will definitely offer more of these tutorials in the future.

Old 2008-10-30, 3:46pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Read through it - looks pretty good.

About "soft glass" users, they may find this a bit hard unless
they are used to working off mandrel with punties.

I'd also love to hear about any good color combos you like for wings
if you are willing to share.

(and I'd LOVE to see a complete dragon tutorial in the future! hint hint!)

Old 2008-10-30, 3:48pm
da General

Got mine . . . can't wait to try it. I am getting into off-mandrel work so it's perfect timing!

Yes, I'd LOVE to see a complete dragon tute too! PLEASE!?!?!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-10-30, 3:54pm
Torch junkie

Yes, I'm going to assemble this into a complete dragon tutorial in the future, this was just a starting point. I will also have to work on a dragon tutorial for the soft glass peoples working on the mandrel. Al though I haven't made a soft glass dragon for a long time. I also for got to mention there is a dragon currently up for sale in my store on the bay.

I do have a few favorite colors for these wings, but I will have to go look at my glass stash and get the names of the colors for you.

Old 2008-10-30, 4:48pm

OK just paid for one. I will use it. Awesome.

Rose Leslie
Old 2008-10-30, 5:18pm
Torch junkie

Thank you to those of you who have purchased this so far. Here are a few of my favorite colors to use for the dragon wings. These are all boro colors, so anyone who might try this with soft glass, you will have to try out some of your own color combos.

I generally add a darker contrasting color to the outside edges of the wings and use these colors for the main center part of the wing.
GA Purple luster with Mystery Adventurine frit.
GA Cherry wood with Silver Strike 5 frit.
NS Amber Purple with Clear frit.
NS Tan silver Creek with Dark Multi frit.
GA Caramel Luster with Aurora frit.
Now just go play and have fun with this and I want to see the winged critters y'all create.

Old 2008-10-30, 5:26pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassroger View Post
Yes, I'm going to assemble this into a complete dragon tutorial in the future, this was just a starting point.

Oh Yeah Baby!!!

Just ordered mine. Can't wait to give it a go!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-10-31, 5:38am

Looking forward to trying this Roger.
Thank you for doing this!

Old 2008-10-31, 9:38am
Torch junkie

Ok I sent out a few more orders this morning and I hope everyone enjoys making the dragon wings. Let me know how it works out and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Thanks again for your support!

Old 2008-10-31, 10:03am
birdergirl ~o~

Looks like you have sold out!!
Please post more in your etsy!!!!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Old 2008-10-31, 10:09am
Torch junkie

Ok, Etsy is stocked up again.

Old 2008-10-31, 12:00pm

Got my tutorial Roger, thank you so much!

I LOVE IT! Can't wait to try it.
Well done, great photos! Excellent tutorial!

Old 2008-10-31, 12:11pm
birdergirl ~o~

Thanks Rog!, looks fun!!

Old 2008-11-01, 11:21am
Torch junkie

I have sent out all of the orders for this so far. If anyone who has purchased this tutorial hasn't received it yet? please contact me and I'll get you squared away.

Thanks!

Old 2008-11-02, 3:08am
See my quote!!

Got mine!! Thank you so much. I cannot wait to give it a go.

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-11-02, 9:52pm

Didn't even get a chance to see the bay dragon! already gone I guess!
but I got the tutorial!! well bough it and looking my email now!
thanks for making this available! Your dragons are amazing!!

malem
Old 2008-11-02, 10:35pm
Torch junkie

Thank you for your purchase Malem, I just sent it! Watch your e-mail box.

I'll be making a few more dragons and listing them on Etsy over the next few days as well as starting to work on the full dragon tutorial. So keep an eye out.