Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-02, 6:43am

Exclamation taking glass notes

So many of the glasses and frits etc have different reactions and characteristics. In my head, I dream of organizing them on an index card system. Something I can flip to whenever I will work with that particular item.

Of course, I want to automate this. Has anyone used an index card template for the computer

OR

can you share how you organize your information?

Thanks,
Jen
Old 2013-02-02, 7:16am
Debra Clutter

When I first started I used Microsoft One Note to organize my notes with the pictures. You can see the pdf I created from it on my website under lampwork. I now write things down in a notebook as I am torching. If it is something I am working on that I want to remember I will put it in Microsoft publisher and create a pdf file to use on my IPad.

I thought about using the index cards. I love paper (apparently) so I have lots of notebooks, but I can't read my writing most of the time!

Good luck finding the way that works for you. One note was the easiest for me when I had a windows computer. I now have a mac so it is either notebook or publisher now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2013-02-02, 9:05am
Now part of the Dark Side

If you want to automate/computerize it you may want to consider either MS Access or Open Office Base, and create a database.
Old 2013-02-02, 10:05am

Wouldn't Excel work too??

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2013-02-02, 10:36am
Now part of the Dark Side

Excel is not as searchable as a database.
Old 2013-02-02, 10:39am
I like to melt things

You can create a blog on WordPress or Blogger and then just not open it up to the public. You can organize it however you like, tag posts with particular key words and colour names and then set up indexes so that you can find stuff later.

I take notes in a notebook when I'm torching (or right after, if I did something I want to remember but was too silly to have the notebook handy at the torch) and if I want to make sure I remember it later I'll add it to my 'secret blog'. I do this mostly for colour combinations, cane recipes, murrini recipes, colour blending recipes, etc.

I post about most of my colour testing/reaction discoveries on my public blog so that we can all benefit from them.

-
-
Old 2013-02-02, 11:40am
Dix Harrison

Jen:

I have the same thinking as you do. I created an index card template in Word. When I have new information from a free tutorial or a process/recipe I want to save, I only have to fill in the blanks on the computer. I can insert photos on the template, save, and print. The template saves LOADS of notetaking time.

The cards come pre-punched with two top holes and I run them right through the printer. I bought two little index card books with top rings and dividers. One book is for boro. The other book is for soft glass.

I LOVE LOVE the index card size and versatility. When I want to work on a technique or "recipe" I just pop out the card and take it to the bench. Doesn't take up any room at all in my workspace. I will try to take a scanner photo of my template so you can maybe see how it works.
Old 2013-02-02, 12:32pm
Dix Harrison

Here's a photo of my blank index card template.
I set it up using "text form fields" for the blanks.
That way, when you type in information, the space expands as much as you need to contain the information.
The card prints both front and back, so this is only a view of side 1.

Here is an example of an index card that has been filled in.
I gleaned the Raku free tutorial information that Dawn offered (she's a peach!) on LE and added it to an index card along with 2 sample photos.
You can see that I also can add handwritten notes "on the fly" as I am working.
This image is only side 1, the Procedural Steps continue on side 2 (not shown).
On side 2 (not shown) I have also added personal hand-written notes and tips.

I hope this gives you some ideas.
It is the system that works for me to manage vast amounts of glass information in an organized and accessible way.
Old 2013-02-02, 4:56pm

That looks like a awesome system!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2013-02-02, 7:44pm

Thank you everyone. Hey Paula.

Kansassky - you are brilliant. I had just gotten to the ring part, and hadn't even thought of adding pictures. Thank you so much for sharing this. Very much along the lines of what I was thinking. all in the info on LE, some on Wet Canvas, PTF and the Frit book, along with the many blogs that test colors etc, and I was struggling with notebooks, and little slips of paper. This is so great - Thank you thank you.

Jen
Old 2013-02-03, 4:28am
Unmedicated since '62

If you use Stashmaster, there's a notes section, you can also define glass by batches, and you can add pictures of experiments etc

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-02-03, 8:53am
Debra Clutter

I like the system you have Kansassky! I like having paper in my hands verses my IPad a lot of the time. Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing.

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2013-02-03, 9:59am
Addicted to Frit!!!

Hey Dix, I love your system! I'm terrible at writing things down. Thanks for sharing. Haven't talked to you in a while...hope you're doing great!!

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on

Last edited by rkoza; 2013-02-03 at 10:01am.
Old 2013-02-03, 10:12am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Bento program is good - you can add pictures and text etc, so you can set up a template and then just add the information you need and create new records. I use it on my iPad and just take pics with the iPad.

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2013-02-05, 2:47pm

Thanks again everyone. I am more paper oriented I guess. Don't always feel like hauling laptop out to studio. Now begins the chore of consolidating all these notebooks and slips of paper, lol.

Jen

Tags
glass notes, information organizing, reference