Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-10-28, 4:12am
Gone Fishing!

5 stars from me! Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebay Id: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Etsy ID: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Old 2006-10-30, 11:08pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Thanks, Holly!

Old 2006-11-02, 10:08pm
Ezzy

Amber,

Thanks so much for sharing this method. I love the way the silver comes out on the beads and I doubt I will ever make SIS "the old way" again. Here's what I came up with, I love them!

Old 2006-11-02, 10:19pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Ezzy! YAY! They look FABULOUS! I really like the green ones and the full set. Have you thought of etching some? Looks like you got some neat reactions in that first, with the dots having some spiny effects and reduction...I think they'd look fab etched. Of course, they look great just as they are!

Thanks for sharing your results and I'm happy it worked for you!

Old 2006-11-02, 10:24pm
Ezzy

I've never etched anything with silver, does it react in any way?
Old 2006-11-03, 1:48am
a pox upon an idiot :..

Ezzy, what is the color combo on the beads at the bottom left, next to the dime? They are lovely! I agree, etch some of them, you'll love the look.

Edie
Old 2006-11-03, 6:36pm
& your rubino rod too!

Wow these are great, I'm going home to try some!
Old 2006-11-04, 10:21am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

the silver will be fine etched.I would definitely etch some of them. They're very pretty and will be even more so etched!
Old 2006-11-04, 7:09pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Ezzy,

Yes, silver survives the etching process just fine. It's gold you have to watch out for - that gets dulled!

Dana, share your results!

Old 2006-11-04, 11:04pm
Ezzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrr
Ezzy, what is the color combo on the beads at the bottom left, next to the dime? They are lovely! I agree, etch some of them, you'll love the look.

Edie
Black base, light ivory stringer (the silver of course), and mosaic green. And, thank you!
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2006-11-09, 12:52pm
Fire Good!

Love it! Anyone have any hints as to additional Moretti colors that spread well other than EDP?!?!

Cheers ~

Robert
Old 2006-11-09, 2:04pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Robert, I haven't tried it but I think Opal Yellow might work!

Old 2006-11-09, 3:05pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

Hey Am,

I tried opal yellow over a base of copper green with the SIS and it didn't work too well for me, but that may have been user error. I ended up twisting the dots and putting EDP over the twists and they're one of the small sets that sold for me at the bead show though . . . (crap - I didn't get pics of them either)

The Lauscha steel blue, hawaiian purple and cocoa spread for me though. I was wondering what other colors "spread" over ivory as well . . . I can tell you that coral (at least the ones that I own), vetrofond khaki, and petroleum green didn't spread.

If anyone else has any colors that have/haven't worked for them please post them to save others some time.

I need to try these again, but I need to get Christmas beads done for the exchange before I'm allowed to play again . . .
Old 2006-11-09, 6:10pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

MJ, well shoot! I need to test more glass...not that I don't have enough to work with... LOL Basically, I think any glass that has a nice viscosity to it, that's really soupy when melted, should spread very well over the SIS.

Old 2006-11-18, 11:12am
Hopeless glass addict!

Default Having horrible trouble wraping stringer!

Could anybody help me with this? How much silver should I use? I'm having a heck-of-a-time getting the silver to stay put. I've tried the method of wetting the stringer...I've desperately tried using rod instead of stringer. If I heat the stringer trying to get the silver to stick, I have melting issues. Once I got the silver to stick...somewhat...then the stringer got brittle and cracked before I finished it. I have no trouble pulling SIS...but this is HARD for me. I must be doing something very wrong!

Could somebody break this all down into fine details for me, and maybe show me the end result I'm looking for? I'm just tearing my hair out over this! I want to try this so badly, but can't get past the stringer thing.

~Mendy

Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!

Old 2006-11-18, 11:43am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Mendy,

Here's what I do.

1) Take a sheet of silver leaf and split it in half.

2) Place one half of the silver sheet on a marver or other flat surface.

3) Take a premade stringer and heat the tip to a glow. I also flash a few inches of the stringer in the flame to heat up the surface a bit more.

4) Place the heated tip on the very edge of the 1/2 sheet and start rolling. Make sure the stringer is flat against the marver as you roll. The silver should start to adhese to about 3 inches of the stringer.

5) Now flash the stringer in the flame then remarver. You will see the silver shrink somewhat. This will make the silver really stick to the stringer.

I do not recommend using pulled SIS for these beads as it doesn't contain enough Ivory or silver to spread the dots.

I'll see if I can take a pictue on Monday of what it should look like.

Old 2006-11-18, 2:36pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I love your dragon scale beads. Here's my attempt. I still need lots of practice but man these are fun to make.

And thank you so much for the SIS technique. I'll never do it the old way again!
Old 2006-11-18, 6:23pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lldesigns View Post
I love your dragon scale beads. Here's my attempt. I still need lots of practice but man these are fun to make.

And thank you so much for the SIS technique. I'll never do it the old way again!

Ooh - is this with the ASK Mediterranean Olive?? I was wondering if any of the ASK colors would work for this.
Old 2006-11-20, 1:27am
Hopeless glass addict!

Thanks soooooooo much, Amber! I definitely was going about it the wrong way! I can't wait to try this tomorrow!

~Mendy

Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!

Old 2006-11-20, 6:51am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Laurie, they look great! Now you gotta etch 'em! LOL ~wink~
Mendy - Glad I could help you out!

Old 2006-11-20, 9:03am
Crazy Snake Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritobsessed View Post
Ooh - is this with the ASK Mediterranean Olive?? I was wondering if any of the ASK colors would work for this.
It's the Lauscha olive. I wanted to stick with the tried and true recipes that Amber posted. I figured I'd have the best luck that way. I may give the ASK olive a try though. It's such a yummy color. I'm just not sure it will spread enough to work.

Amber - I don't have any etching liquid, sorry!
Old 2006-11-20, 9:27am
Princess Odd . . . lot

FYI - Med Olive doesn't spread very well. I tried it yesterday, but that was before I found out the secret to making these work - the vetro ochre yellow as the base. It worked the first time with almost no effort for me on this base. I just got some of the glass, so the others I had tried were on the copper green or ivory and didn't work as well (at least for me). I'll post a pic after it's etched . . .
Old 2006-11-21, 12:23am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Laurie - Shame on you! Get some.
MJ - believe me, it works on Ivory and Copper Green, too! heehee Baby Poo Green is just incredibly soupy... I wonder if we could do this with Satake??? hmmmmmmm....

Old 2006-11-24, 5:44am
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

why doesn't it work with a stringer pulled from a silver wrapped blob in the end of a rod?..

I
NY
Old 2006-11-25, 12:09am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

meitali - it's just not enough ivory to get the spread needed. By using a pre-fabricated stringer and rolling it in silver leaf, you get just enough of the ivory and just enough silver that the frame created around the scale is solid - not too much silver, not too little ivory.

Old 2006-11-25, 12:26am

Hey Amber, I've tried these and they came out pretty well, thanks for sharing the tut. It is AWESOME!
I wondered, What about making your base bead, rolling it in silver, marvering, then dotting on the spreading color (like EDP). Would they turn out scaled?

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:

Last edited by danelady; 2006-11-25 at 3:44am.
Old 2006-11-25, 12:31am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Lynnie, I tried that when I was initially playing around with this idea three years ago...it looks cool but it doesn't spread the top dot of EDP or other colors because the silver itself will not spread on the base glass...thus you need the ivory to be the vehicle for the silver move around and not burn off...

Old 2006-11-25, 3:43am

THANK YOU Amber!
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Lynnie, I tried that when I was initially playing around with this idea three years ago...it looks cool but it doesn't spread the top dot of EDP or other colors because the silver itself will not spread on the base glass...thus you need the ivory to be the vehicle for the silver move around and not burn off...

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-11-28, 7:46pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Thanks for the tut Amber! I finally made something with it!! It's my version of a "hog nosed snake". I attempted snake skin on a pig. I hope you don't mind, I credited you in my auction for the tutorial!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2006-11-28, 7:49pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

OMG Gelly - she is so SWEET! I love her to pieces!!! Great silver frame around the scales! And thanks for the mention!

Tags
generous, inspiration