Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2019-04-10, 7:22am

Default Just a question I’m sure that has been asked at least 2000 times

Ok , I don’t have a torch , or anything yet.
Is it possible to get by making beads , pendants, marbles with a mapp gas-propane torch , a few mandrels , cooling blanket , glass and a couple marvers and mashers ?
If so , what torch head should I get ?
And would mapp gas or propane be better ?
I’m planning on using 104 glass , and up grading to a oxy/propane torch for Boro later.
Also , the best prices on 104 and tools/supplies , just from what I’ve seen on searching google , seems to be Devardi , and they literally have everything.
But I don’t know. All I do right now is buy scrap bullseye 90 and dicro off a couple eBay sellers and make pendants in my fuse works “craft kiln” , which works , but it’s pretty much a glorified microwave kiln , just bigger , but still not a real kiln.
Anyway , just wanna start twisting some beads without dropping $500 , because I’m cheap......
Thanks !!! ����

Last edited by RINGO; 2019-04-10 at 8:19am.
Old 2019-04-10, 8:12am

First things- eye protection and ventilation. If you know you'll be going to boro, you'll need other glasses too. It's not a cheap thing to do. BUT you can start with a Hothead torch* and a fiber blanket as long as you don't make anything big or for sale. It doesn't anneal anything and only cools glass slower than air. I'm not familiar with a fuse works craft kiln but if you can anneal properly, you can batch anneal. Batch annealing won't fix thermal cracks, incompatibility or anything else but if a bead is sound to begin with (and the kiln can indeed anneal properly) you can use it. Lots of people batch anneal soft glass beads.

*not to devolve into a Devardi melee (which happens just about every time they are mentioned...some people like them, some people really don't) but I haven't heard good things about their torch, Fireworks torch either. They do have serviceable tools, I've owned a few. My opinion on their glass is negative but that's only MY opinion and I won't argue it.

Having said that, you can start cheap-ish to see if you really want to do glass and upgrade as you go along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2019-04-10, 8:35am

Thanks ! I don’t know if my little kiln will aneal or not. There’s no timer or thermostat on it. Plug it in , it gets hot. If it gets too hot to fast my glass breaks. So I plug , unplug ....... till it’s up to working temp , fuse the glass , and unplug. Takes about 3-4 hrs to cool down.
I just saw on Divardis site that they have freaking everything and they are really close. I just thought it would be convenient to get everything from one source other than getting stuff shipped from 3-4-5 different suppliers , I dunno....
So yeah , I guess I could get by then with a torch head for a while....
I’ve seen the fireworks glass and torch at hobby lobby , but again , I dunno.....
Ok then , hot head and some cooling blankets.....plus safety glasses and fans of course , that’s a given
Thanks again
Old 2019-04-10, 11:20am

If you've got a Hobby Lobby craft store nearby, they sell a beginner's lampworking kit and some rods-in-a-tube assortments. It's pretty limited, but a decent start for cheap.
Old 2019-04-10, 12:19pm

Thanks , would you use propane or mapp gas ?
Old 2019-04-10, 3:09pm
Dazed and Confused

I've used both, but if you're just starting out a Hothead with mapp is a very good beginning torch.
I ended up using one for about 2 years before upgrading to a GTT Cricket. Its hard to do things like reducing or striking, but if you're just staring out then its perfect for learning how to get your beads shaped right - and its cool enough that you won't melt in or burn away dots etc.which is possible on a hotter torch.

As for getting anything from Hobby Lobby - I refuse to give them a penny of my money due to their refusal to include contraception insurance to their (largely female) staff on 'religious objections'. I'm weird and picky about who I'll purchase from, but excluding lots of minimum wage women from getting proper health insurance is a deal breaker for me.

YMMV, of course.
Old 2019-04-10, 5:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINGO View Post
Thanks ! I don’t know if my little kiln will aneal or not. There’s no timer or thermostat on it. Plug it in , it gets hot. If it gets too hot to fast my glass breaks. So I plug , unplug ....... till it’s up to working temp , fuse the glass , and unplug. Takes about 3-4 hrs to cool down.
I just saw on Divardis site that they have freaking everything and they are really close. I just thought it would be convenient to get everything from one source other than getting stuff shipped from 3-4-5 different suppliers , I dunno....
So yeah , I guess I could get by then with a torch head for a while....
I’ve seen the fireworks glass and torch at hobby lobby , but again , I dunno.....
Ok then , hot head and some cooling blankets.....plus safety glasses and fans of course , that’s a given
Thanks again
Good for you for being safety minded! You may be able to find a Hothead here in the Garage Sale by putting up a wanted ad, or there are a few facebook groups to do the same.

It doesn't sound like your kiln would be good for beads. Temps need to be lower to garage the glass and if you don't know that that temp is...it's a guessing game at that point.

By all means, if Devardi is near you, buy some inexpensive glass and tools and go for it! Have fun! BUt ps- that 'annealer' is really not. See if there are glass groups or other glass peeps by you. Some people are glad to batch anneal, sometimes for a small fee, sometimes for free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2019-04-11, 6:33am

Thanks TMG , looks like a hot head and some blankets. I have a few bulk propane tanks for my metal work , and one of those disposable propane bottle “refillers “. With the 104 glass I want to do metals , like silver foil and copper extra , so I guess I’ll start looking for equipment.....
Thanks again