Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2008-10-04, 11:30am
Mary Lockwood

Default Free Tutorial- How to make glass post stands for photos or display

This one was requested by several people, so I put it on my site in PDF format this morning.

Here is the link to my tutorials page...just scroll down to the bottom...it is the last one.

http://www.marylockwood.com/tutorials.html

Have fun!
~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-04, 11:31am
I'm a lilac!

AWesome! That rocks, Mary!

Old 2008-10-04, 11:38am
Mary Lockwood

Thanks, Kalera. These seem like they would be so simple to make, and they are once you know the trick.

What I was hearing from people was that they couldn't get a nice thin post, when they were pulling the post from such a wide base. The dome in the center is the trick. It it really easy once you've got that part.

I almost felt silly posting the tutorial, but no fewer than 6 people asked me for it so I thought...what the heck, if it helps people I'm all for it and it did take me a little while to figure out how to get a nice wide base and a thin post.

Sometimes it is the small things that can make a big difference.

Hope you are enjoying your weekend.
~~Mary

Old 2008-10-04, 11:41am
I'd rather be torching.

thanks for sharing Mary.

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.
~Twyla Tharp
I know where I am. I've been lost here before.
Old 2008-10-04, 12:06pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Thanks for sharing it looks so simple when you do it, now to go try it myself.

Old 2008-10-04, 1:38pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Wow, big DUH! Moment there!
Seems so simple - yet I never figured that one out.
That totally rocks - thanks Mary - you da best!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-10-04, 2:52pm
I speak Murrini!

I used to think, "Wow, I THINK I love Mary"....Now I KNOW I do!!!

Thanks so much for posting this!!! I've got so many beadies that will look just wonderful on these stands; they are so perfect - and don't distract from the bead but totally enhance them!

With much love (truly!),
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-10-04, 3:04pm

Mary rocks. Thanks again for another one!

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-10-04, 11:17pm
Mad about Glass

Thanks Mary. You have some amazing free tutorials. You are very generous.

Jenn

[url]

Old 2008-10-04, 11:46pm

What a great idea. I am going to try them today. Maybe making them in boro is easier.

|
Old 2008-10-05, 4:13am
Evil Glass Enabler

Thanks, Mary. I really love the look of these stands. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2008-10-05, 5:04am

Mary this looks great! Thanks for your hard work!
Beth
Old 2008-10-05, 5:38am
Senior Moment

Thank you Mary. You rock!!!

Old 2008-10-05, 11:10am
Mary Lockwood

Miriam, I've made them in boro and soft glass and the process was the same for me. Boro isn't as shocky, as you know...but the steps were the same.

You're welcome guys! Makes me happy to do it.

~~Mary

Old 2008-10-05, 11:56am
Back to 👊 1

Get timing and thank you! I have to make my Mom a B-day prez. and I doubt I can get into jewelry form in time to send but I can get a nice bead and stand done! You have saved the day!
Old 2008-10-05, 12:00pm
WeBeadTogether

Thank you for sharing this with us Mary! I also thought of making this out of boro.

Paula

Old 2008-10-05, 12:24pm
Give to receive...simple.

Hi Mary!

Thank you so much for your generous heart!
I hope you get back from life as good as you give out!

Old 2008-10-05, 10:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Miriam, I've made them in boro and soft glass and the process was the same for me. Boro isn't as shocky, as you know...but the steps were the same.
~~Mary
Again thanks Mary, I think I will try them in boro then, so I don't have to introduce the glass so gentle in the flame.

|
Old 2008-10-06, 5:52am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam View Post
Again thanks Mary, I think I will try them in boro then, so I don't have to introduce the glass so gentle in the flame.
Yep, sounds like a plan!!

You can see in the second image that even though I preheated the rod on a hotplate, it still cracked. My camera batteries were going dead and I knew I only had so much time to get this done. I should have let it preheat longer, but I was rushing. LOL

Try one made of turbo cobalt...that was my favorite boro one.

~~Mary

Old 2008-10-06, 9:41am

Very neat Mary! Thanks for your generosity in sharing!!
Lori
Old 2008-10-06, 10:20am
Broken

Mary how cool is this! I paid 9.00 a piece for the ones I have now, I'll be making a few every time I torch now Thanks!!!!

Old 2008-10-07, 5:52am
Mary Lockwood

$9 a piece? Maybe I need to list some of these on etsy. LOL

I actually like to make them. I usually make them to use up the last inch or so of one of the large diameter rods, after I've pulled as much cane as I can get from them. I timed myself making the one in the tutorial...took 3 minutes.

~~Mary

Old 2008-10-07, 8:15am
Button Queen

Thanks Mary! Just what I need. I was thinking of doing this, but wasn't quite sure how to approach it.
Old 2008-10-07, 12:02pm

brilliant!

Old 2008-10-07, 8:38pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Gosh, Mary! That is just what I needed! Now...if you could just work your magic so I have some color combo inspiration, I would appreciate it!

Old 2008-10-08, 6:31am
Mary Lockwood

Thanks Barbara and Lainee! Have fun...make lots.

Lynn...did you get the jellyfish tutorial? It has a section in it on color theory...it's how I pick my colors. I don't really have a natural, good eye for color. I do it all by the book. LOL You should type color theory or color wheel into google and it gives you the formulas for picking good colors.

There are lots of color mixing/ palette choosing website too. I also like to go to paint sites, like Behr...they give good combos. I've even named beads after paint names.

Pantone, of course is an excellent resource too.

Good luck!
~~Mary

Old 2008-10-08, 8:27am
Ezzy

Thank you so much, Mary. I've always loved the little tutorials on your website and this one is probably my most favorite yet.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2008-10-08, 8:32am

Mary, thank you so much for your kindness in posting this free tutorial. Your generosity and friendliness are heartwarming. I'm looking forward to trying the bead stand. Could you tell what kind of hot plate you used? I have a very small one for keeping a coffee cup warm, and I use it for drying Precious Metal Clay. Would this be sufficient, do you think? Thanks so much for your input.

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2008-10-08, 9:12am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Lynn...did you get the jellyfish tutorial? It has a section in it on color theory...it's how I pick my colors. I don't really have a natural, good eye for color. I do it all by the book. LOL You should type color theory or color wheel into google and it gives you the formulas for picking good colors.

There are lots of color mixing/ palette choosing website too. I also like to go to paint sites, like Behr...they give good combos. I've even named beads after paint names.

Pantone, of course is an excellent resource too.

Good luck!
~~Mary
I have it now! Great color info....maybe it will help me get out of this "nothing but dark" slump I seem to be in! Guess these are the sorts of tools needed when, like me, there is no eye for color.....guess I better keep my day job - as a ED RN, the only colors I worry about are red & blue!

Old 2008-10-08, 9:19am
Mary Lockwood

Hi Nancy!

I have a thermolyne laboratory hot plate, it is for heating stuff up in glass beakers and things like that. It gets to 750 degrees f. Lots of people are having plenty of success with electric hotplates that look like range eyes on a stove. You could also just put the tip of the rod into your hot kiln to preheat, that works great and is even hotter if you garage your beads at annealing temp. My kiln sits there at 960 while I'm working so it is good for preheating rods.

Personally, I don't think the cup warmer hot plate would be enough to preheat a fat rod of clear...there just isn't enough ambient heat to keep the rod hot all the way around through its whole thickness. I'd go with the kiln. You see in the tutorial that even my rod still cracked because I rushed it. I started using it before it was actually preheated enough and I only used 9mm rod for the tutorial. I usually use 12mm so that is even more of a heat requirement.

Good luck!
~~Mary