LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-03-20, 7:16am
birdergirl ~o~

Question Magnetic clasps: Do you or Don't you?

I was looking at a website with very high scale jewelry and they pointed out their use of magnetic clasps.
Even with $450+ bracelets.
I've only have had one bracelet with one and it wouldn't stay closed.
•Do you use them ?
•Which ones are the "good" ones.
( Sterling only)
•Where do you buy them?
TIA!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-03-20, 7:20am

You may want to put this in the jewelry section. I think more people that make jewelry would see it. I only put magnetic clasps on as a special request.

Amy

Old 2009-03-20, 7:23am

I don't cuz they don't stay stuck for me either. I put too much into my "stuff" to have it lost.

Hey Sally- I found another lampworker in Brooklin! I haven't sent her an email yet but she has a studio in town. Do you know her? One of my classmates in the business class I'm taking gave me her card.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-03-20, 7:27am
birdergirl ~o~

Thanks Amy,
I debated about where to put it here or in Jewelry and I thought this area gets more traffic and might be better, Can't delete this and repost there and I don't want to add clutter.
Yes Sue, I do know Sihaya!
Shes been in Brooklin a few years and before that in Deer Isle.
Brooklin is small everyone knows everyone!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Old 2009-03-20, 7:39am
moth to the flame

I use them almost exclusively.

My older customers like how easy they are to put on and off, the younger ones like the streamline look at the back of the neck since they tend to wear their hair up or have short hair.

IMHO they aren't as accepted in the artistic/appearance circles but for me, I am going for functionality in my pieces so while I don't get so many kudos from certain eyes, my customers love them and they sell over and over.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-03-20, 7:53am

I love them and I, too, use them more than any other clasp. My necklaces are HEAVY. I also add a thin safety chain with a tiny lobster clasp on necklaces that are NOT for me for two reasons: in case the necklace gets snagged, there is backup and the additional inches give you room to just pull it over your head if you want (it is easily removed if unwanted or annoying on the back of the neck).

I generally use Mag-Locks and if you look hard enough, you can find them in a variety of sterling styles. You really need to make sure the magnets are strong enough if you are buying a 'no name' type.
Old 2009-03-20, 8:44am
Cat Mom to Three

I've used the sterling Mag-Lok ones before on bracelets, and added a safety chain like KEW mentioned. With the safety chains, I've had no problems with people losing bracelets. One thing about them, people with pacemakers aren't supposed to wear them.

Laurie
Old 2009-03-20, 8:57am
No Problem!

I have a bead crochet necklace that I made with one and it's awesome, the magnets are so strong that it puts itself on. This is the only one i've used so I'm sure there are good ones and bad ones.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-03-20, 9:27am
Lampworkaholic!

I love them and my customers love them. I bought mine from Beadstuff:

http://www.beadstuff.com/store/econ_magnetic.html

They are silver tone but not sterling. The magnets are nice and strong.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-03-20, 10:10am
Likes to melt stuff...

I use them on some of my pieces -- but everything I make that I put a magnetic clasp on comes with a written disclaimer about the fact that there is a magnetic clasp so that people who should not wear magnetic clasps have fair warning. There are certain medical devices (such as pacemakers, as mentioned above) which make wearing magnetic clasps dangerous.
Old 2009-03-20, 12:08pm

Hate them.
Only use them if they're requested & then only under duress.
Freakin' things stick to EVERYTHING (and I do mean EVERYTHING)
I've lost 2 lovely bracelets of my own that way . even WITH safety chains.
I tell people there is NO warrantee, they WILL lose the jewelry, it WILL get stuck to something & dissappear & I WILL NOT REPLACE IT! (because yes, the very first person who ever bought one, was pissed when they lost the piece...despite the safety clasp....it of course got stuck to something somewhere )

The only piece i still have of my own gets stuck to faucets, cash registers, shopping carts, my car door, you name it, it's stuck there!
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-03-20, 2:32pm
Beadmaking.nl

I sell my own bracelets called Margrieten®-armband. It has a very strong magnet clasp. The bracelet is silver and it is a changeble system, like Pandora etc.
It is very strong, I wear my bracelet everyday and I have never lost it.

Old 2009-03-20, 4:20pm
birdergirl ~o~

Thanks for all the helpful info!

Old 2009-03-20, 6:01pm
hobby gone wild . . .

I use them on kids jewellery and reaction is usually "what a good idea". Used to use them for adult jewellery, but if I put the same two necklaces on my stall (one with toggle and bail clasp and one with magnetic clasp), customer will pick toggle and bail.

Lisa
Old 2009-03-20, 6:55pm

Only on necklaces

They're a pain on a bracelet, too hard to find one that is strong enough and then they stick to eveything! And there is still a risk of losing the bracelet.
Old 2009-03-21, 4:47am

OK for necklaces in the summer, but in the winter my MIL kept dropping necklaces when she took off her coat and scarf. On bracelets, I use only with a safety chain, the ones I've had stick to car doors, supermarket trolleys, everything. Oh, and don't use them on watches, your watch will stop!

Old 2009-03-21, 5:19am

I have used lots of them. I have people that request them and ask me to change out other clasps to put them on. I hate them. While you are trying to put a crimp bead on they have a mind of their own and try to get to the pliers. I can not recall who I purchased them from. I bought a ton of them at one time. Good luck!
Beth
Old 2009-03-21, 7:00am
The Venerable Bead

I hate them but all my older customers love them(including my mother) i only use sterling and the strongest I can find (I have bought from jewelrysupply.com and artbeads.com) and only when requested but i have a warning written up about pacemakers that I put in with the bracelet.
shopping carts are a prime suspect in where these things go missing. i even had one taken off my display booth at a craft show because it stuck to the underside of someone's purse. thank god i noticed it hanging from the bottom of her pocketbook while she was shopping at the next booth.
hate them!

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2009-03-21, 12:21pm

I hate 'em, don't use 'em, don't buy jewelry that uses 'em, and don't bring 'em into my house. If you work on any computer equipment that contains magnetic media, magnets (including those on jewelry clasps and purse clasps) can corrupt data. Several years ago (pre-USB drive) I had a number of teachers who came to me with corrupted and irrecoverable gradebooks on floppy disks. They had - to a one - put the diskettes in handbags with magnetic clasps, or in handbags where they also tossed their magnetic-close jewelery. Most of the equipment we are using now is better-shielded against casual magnetic loss, but I still just have a thing about these...

Glass Witch: n; a sandwich to which heat and pressure have been applied
Old 2009-04-27, 11:42pm

I also have many unwanted pieces, most are pearls and metals. I send the pearls as gifts to friends or relatives or just melting the metal and shape into a new style! I only pay the cost of craft works and get a totally new pieces! I suggest you do so. Gold Buyer.
Old 2009-04-27, 11:51pm

I don't get this.... sterling silver is supposed to be 92.5% pure silver right? Silver cannot be magnetized and will not attract magnets (try on your bead making fine silver or sterling). As a test for real silver, you bring a magnet to it...

HOW do they call something 'sterling silver' and it possibly be magnetic? I tried to do a search to verify my info, and all I could find were 'magnetic sterling silver' stuff... omg.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-04-28, 9:39am

The magnet in 'set' into the silver.
Old 2009-04-28, 10:39am

Ohhh... so there's a tiny magnet glued into it?? That makes sense, thanks.

My Non-Glass Sites: