Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-01-22, 12:52am
Naysayer

ok I tried closer to the torch and it did work, they are not nearly as copper as Hayley's or the pendant sadly imo, but more like the beads on the page. More gold than copper...still pretty but I really want that orange copper
http://www.doublehelixglassworks.com/Iaso.aspx

I'll take pics after they are done with their bath, but that seems to be the key, quick passes close to the torch.
Old 2015-01-22, 5:57pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

I finally got mine today (thanks Jed & Julie!), looking forward to playing with it!

I have to say that I have never had a customer say that my pics were better than the beads, it's always the other way around. I find the reduction glasses difficult to photograph in a light tent, the pics always look flat & dull compared to what they look like in your hand. The only think that I have found that helps to get them more "life-like" is to photograph them in a white bowl filled with water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-01-24, 2:04am
Naysayer

here's a quick and dirty pic, it looks more orange-copper than IRL, it's more silver-gold in person, but much better than before.
The one on the right is the one from the previous photo.
Attached Images

Old 2015-01-24, 8:10pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

It's a lot different to the other DH reducing glasses, that's for sure. I played a bit the other day, this is a quick phone pic of what I ended up with, now I just have to work out how I got this! The edges are a little muddy, but the bits in the middle are not bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-01-24, 11:38pm
Naysayer

love the colors on the lentil! So how are you working it, any different than what was posted so far?
Old 2015-01-26, 5:50am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

When I work it out I will let you know!

Old 2015-01-26, 4:18pm
Naysayer

right? I had to pack beads last night but i really wanted to hit the torch and play some more with this. Pretty soon I'll need to order more rofl.
Old 2015-01-26, 10:46pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

OK, I can tell you now, that if my bead comes out the way it went in that I got some pretty cool effects on it, but I couldn't get just copper doing what Jed did in his video! I tried doing what was in the video & I started getting multi coloured stripes on the bead, so then I turned the propane up just a little & bathed it about half way up in the flame & I got some amazing colours, gold, reds, green etc. I do hope it comes out of the kiln looking as good as it went in, fingers crossed, I will let you know tomorrow.

Old 2015-01-26, 11:20pm
Slogan Challenged...

oh, the suspense.....

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-01-27, 7:09am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Kristen, the suspense is just too much. Sadly it didn't come out as nice as it went in, you can see some of the colours but the background is a bit muddy looking. I will take a pic tomorrow & post it.

Old 2015-01-27, 4:52pm
Naysayer

lol same. I think I'm going to throw in the towel. If I get anything it's that gold color, I can get that with helios without dicking around. If I think it's cool it comes out like bad Iris....whatever that is haha, like colors with over reduced bits. My kiln has been turned down, I've tried every possible way I can think of. Iaso is just not my friend
Old 2015-01-27, 4:55pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
lol same. I think I'm going to throw in the towel. If I get anything it's that gold color, I can get that with helios without dicking around. If I think it's cool it comes out like bad Iris....whatever that is haha, like colors with over reduced bits. My kiln has been turned down, I've tried every possible way I can think of. Iaso is just not my friend
What's your torch set up? What's your oxy/fuel set at? It all makes a difference in working with some silver glass.

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-01-27, 5:03pm
Lampworkaholic!

I got a beautiful reduction just giving it a good bath in a reduction flame, the way I do with the super lusters.

Good so far.

Then I encased, the way I always do. I used Reichenbach crystal. I melted it in very gently but I think I lost all the reduction. It's still in the kiln cooling.

The I tried a goddess bead, reduced (not encased). It looked good going in.

Pictures at 10. Or whenever.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2015-01-27, 5:49pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
What's your torch set up? What's your oxy/fuel set at? It all makes a difference in working with some silver glass.
I have a cricket on 2 10lpms. Every other reduction glass works great for me. Other than yourself and the pics on the DH site, I've seen one other pic where they've gotten close to it....and she wouldn't tell anybody how she worked it, she said it took a long time to figure out and may write a tut
Old 2015-01-27, 6:40pm
Loving learning

Now I wish I had bought some so I could experiment, but it's going to have to wait for my next order.
Old 2015-01-27, 8:06pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
I have a cricket on 2 10lpms. Every other reduction glass works great for me. Other than yourself and the pics on the DH site, I've seen one other pic where they've gotten close to it....and she wouldn't tell anybody how she worked it, she said it took a long time to figure out and may write a tut
Iaso is not like other reduction glass - you will notice that it doesn't fume the base beads.

What are your 2 oxycons set at? You will need to turn the machine on with the hoses unattached and let them warm up for 10 minutes in order to get an accurate reading. What about your propane? What psi is it at? The reason the setting matters is that if you propane/oxy split is too propane rich OR too oxy rich, you may have trouble getting the bronze colors.

The trick in bringing out the bronze Iaso is reduce multiple times using a light reduction flame. Mine isn't as small as jed's but it's small. You are putting the bead in the yellow candles so it the reduction flame is not small, you over reduce in a heart beat.

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-01-28, 3:35am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Hayley, when I tried that I got reduction stripes down the bead! It was the weirdest thing I have ever seen!

So this is that bead, but after I got stripes (that then got erased when I passed it through the flame & another stripe appeared) I just put it about half way up in a slight reduction flame for a few seconds & this is what I got. It actually looks like metallic marble, if anyone has been up the Empire State Building & seen the floor tiles up there it reminds me of those. I wish I could get a video of what I did & how it ended up like this, maybe on the weekend when Eddie's home ...

ETA - the bead is metallic, although it doesn't really show up in the pics.

Old 2015-01-28, 3:47am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

OK, maybe this pic will show it better ...

Old 2015-01-28, 8:41am

very cool

Old 2015-01-28, 9:57am
Shelarious

Oooh, nice!

I made a couple with Iaso, and with repeated quick twirls in a soft reduction gave me a nice coppery color. I got some metallic reds too (not the over-reduction burned red). I think patience and gentleness is key with this glass.

Old 2015-01-28, 10:16am
Wyoming Silvers

Elizabeth beads, how did they come out encased?

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2015-01-28, 2:44pm

Mrs D, that is awsome. You must share how you did that!!
Old 2015-01-28, 5:41pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Thanks everyone, you are right, it is kinda cool.

Pat, I am going to do a post on my blog about it, I'll post the link when Im done .

Old 2015-01-28, 6:51pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybead View Post
Elizabeth beads, how did they come out encased?
Interesting. Not at all what I expected.

These are quickie iPhone photos. In reality they are much more vibrant. I'll get some better photos soon.

The encased bead looked black going into the kiln, but came out with the most surprising shades of blue-greens.
Attached Images

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2015-01-28 at 7:05pm.
Old 2015-01-28, 7:22pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Mrs D, that is awsome. You must share how you did that!!
Pat, here is my blog post about it.

Old 2015-01-28, 8:17pm

Thanks, you're so sweet. I'll have to try that. I love the kite shape too.
Old 2015-01-28, 10:53pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

You're welcome, I will try again tomorrow & see if I can duplicate it & will let you know how I go with it. I love that kite shape too, I've only made 2 of them so but I can't wait to make a pendant with the shape.

Old 2015-01-29, 3:14pm

Should make a great pendant. Can't wait to try this weekend when my dad leaves.
Old 2015-01-29, 6:04pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Well I have just put another one in the kiln, it looks even better than the last one & I managed to video it, hopefully you'll be able to see it.

Old 2015-01-29, 6:18pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Following. I've been wanting to try this glass, but will wait a bit longer!

[/b][/i][/font]