Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2021-09-30, 10:58am

Default Etching clear

Does clear take longer to etch than other colors? Tried to etch a bead done with Effetre Super Clear for 6 min. and nothing. Do I need to etch longer to get the frosted look? Using Etchall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2021-09-30, 9:06pm
dances with ideas...

Possibly, and different clears also etch differently. I don’t know specifically about 006. Is your etchall still working well on other colors?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2021-10-01, 7:48am

Yes.....This is a new bottle of etchall. I'm going to try and etch for 15 min. and see what happens. Thanks for the input!

Old 2021-10-01, 8:57am
dances with ideas...

Good luck!

Old 2021-10-01, 10:28pm
Phill

Any possibility that your finger print oils are "protecting" the surface of the bead from the acid?

You might try wiping it with alcohol before putting the acid on it.
Old 2021-10-04, 5:17am

Make sure it is well shaken and/or stirred. I use a chopstick to make sure the gloop at the bottom gets mixed in well.

Old 2021-10-04, 6:35am

Any chance at all you have a rod of Zephyr hiding out in your super clear?
Old 2021-10-04, 9:56am
Slogan Challenged...

I was gonna ask the same, Super clear should etch just fine. It's those other clear varmints that confuse things

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2021-10-04, 2:38pm

I thought about Zephyr getting mixed into the super clear. Going to try some CIM clear just to be sure. Thanks to everyone for their input. First time it's ever happened.

Old 2021-10-04, 6:28pm

After 6 minutes you should see something with superclear, a new bottle will be very well etched and an older bottle will still be etched but not as nicely. Finger prints "oils" will not affect anything. good luck !

Magma Beads .

Old 2021-10-11, 7:32am

Thanks everybody for the responses. Still having issues but will figure it out.

Old 2021-10-19, 10:24pm

Hello again, I've just opened a brand new bottle of Etchall, etched a bead for 10 minutes with moretti super clear which should give a beautiful clean etched look, and it doesn't, it's pitted and ugly, something is very wrong with the product it seems. I've been using it for years and it's been great. I'll contact the supplier and see what they say.

Magma Beads .

Old 2021-10-20, 5:00pm

Thanks for posting Magma. I'm having those issues as well. Let me know what the supplier has to say.