Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-04-13, 7:32pm
PyronamixK

Here's the deal on connecting oxygen concentrators - it doesn't matter what the LPMs are, but you want to try to match the psi output as closely as possible.

The higher psi unit will pressurize the oxygen line to its pressure and the second concentrator has to push to get its oxygen into the line, too. This is why you will see one concentrator pushing say 4.5 LPM and the other pushing 2 or 3, for example. The higher psi unit will always be able to get more of its oxygen into the line than the lower psi unit. This in and of itself does not harm the concentrators. It's a good idea to have check valves in your Y connector if your concentrators are putting out dissimilar psi outputs. If the difference in psi is too great (usually more than 2 psi), the lower psi unit will not be able to push its oxygen into the line at all.
Old 2008-04-14, 5:57pm

Renee,
I have a Lynx I run on one EX-15 from Extreme Oxygen. It puts out 8 LPM @ 15 psi and blasts the heat. Your propane should be around 5 psi. The top blue knob should be cracked a little, as it keeps your ports clear of carbon and kicks in heat like a pre-mix torch. Get used to using it for detail work. It's like a little laser.On your oxy cons in the garage, check the back panel ( should be a snap open & shut cover ) and be sure the filters are pushed in. Most are shipped unattached from just jostling around.It could be the cause of your problems.Also I use a holding tank between the concentrator and the torch which gives a good reserve of oxygen for use.Mine is a 10 gal air tank used to hold air for tire filling etc. and cost $35.I'm attaching a tutorial I used to set it up. The only labor involved is removing a valve stem from the tank valve.Using the air tank will make a HUGE difference in your torch. Two M15s should rock that torch on their own.

Kevin

http://www.treycornette.com/holdingtanktutorial.html