LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2012-01-11, 11:50am
MacGalver

Thanks for the further info on that site, Mary Beth ~ I should have known you would check it out thoroughly before reccommending it!

Jo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-12, 12:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
Just like you would change any other file name. Right click on the file and choose, "Rename". Then change it from "Locked tutorial" to "Locked Tutorial _ PW Pa$$word" or whatever the password is.
You can't do this on a Mac
Old 2012-01-12, 2:59pm
Flame Dancer

I would not have gotten four tutorials I have had I known they have a password. I cannot remember passwords, so I have gotten locked out of the ones I bought after paying for them. I do not give the information away to anyone. I think it is a great disservice to people to lock the tutorial with a password.
Old 2012-01-12, 5:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Isaacs View Post
You can't do this on a Mac
There are several ways to do this on a Mac. You should be able to double click on the file name, wait for a while (don't be impatient), and then the file name will be highlighted blue. Click with the cursor or use the arrow keys to get an insertion/deletion point, and you should be able to change the name to anything you want.

Another way is to use the "Save as ..." File menu item. This will not rename the file, but will make a copy with the name and location of your choice.

In my opinion, when on a Mac, you should be opening PDFs in Apple's Preview program rather than Acrobat Reader, in most cases. Using Preview, I have found when you use the "Duplicate" or "Export" file commands, the password protection is removed for the copies, and also you can specify a new file name and location with those commands as well. I just tested these, and they are good for changing the name, but not removing the password protection. I believe that to remove the password protection, you have to use one of the copy or duplication methods with the protected file already open.

Duplicate is a file operation that does not require the document to be open. Highlight the file name, and then you can get the "Duplicate" command three ways: from the File menu, by using a mouse "right-click" button, or pressing "Control" and the trackpad or mouse button at the same time. Copy is also a file operation that does not require the document to be open. Highlight the file name, and you can get to the Copy command from the Edit menu.

I just tested this: If you copy the file when it is closed, the copy will have password protection. If you copy the file after you have unlocked it, the copy will not have password protection.

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2012-01-12 at 6:19pm.
Old 2012-01-31, 8:42am
Debra Clutter

Please do not put passwords on tutorials! If you do, please note that it will come with one! I just got one and I am not happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2012-01-31, 10:09am

I had one with a password, can't remember what it was but just tossed it, too irritating to try to keep track of the password. I didn't want to fuss about with it. Sigh.

No, I just looked it up, it was a rose murrini tutorial. I have it printed out. I hate having paper near the torch. I'd rather use my ipad out there. But sometimes it's just not possible.

EDITED TO ADD: I have the tutorial. One of the guys here has PDF Creator. He took it into that program and saved it for me without a password. Now I can use it on my iPad. But it shouldn't be that hard.

Last edited by cc2; 2012-02-01 at 7:13am.
Old 2012-01-31, 1:49pm
Queen Tut ;)

Hopefully folks are noting when the tutorials are password protected, before the purchase goes through?

Old 2012-02-01, 4:02am
offically down under

I hate the passwords too. I would also appreciate if tutorals came with the writer's name and the name of the tut in the title. Sarah's Think Pink makes more sense then just Think Pink.

Last edited by tammydownunder; 2012-02-01 at 4:51am.