Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-12-11, 1:47pm
just quincy

Lana be my guest!!! Holly, River Horse is doing exactly the same thing!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Little Dragon 21/Betta, tanked O2/NG
Old 2008-12-11, 1:48pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post

Oh and Dawn, I saw your trough idea a few weeks ago and looked all over the internet trying to find a big metal trough, such a great idea.
They are not easy to find, and are being made in plastic now.
I had a hard time finding them on line. I found mine at my local Tractor & Feed store. Have fun putting your system together ....... I really like the plexi glass too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-11, 1:50pm
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

Is the plexiglass molded, or are the seams cut and glued?

Old 2008-12-11, 1:51pm
just quincy

cut and glued

Old 2008-12-11, 1:56pm

hmmmm..... Now you've really got me thinking. I bet I can take some plywood circles, cut them in half, and then attach corrugated aluminum to them so the hood would make a half pipe about 4 foot long. And then attach an exhaust fan to the top, with felixible duct work for an outlet, and when I want to work I could just run the duct work outside the window.... See, now y'all have my very cheap, but creative juices flowing....

Old 2008-12-11, 2:01pm
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyandco View Post
Lana be my guest!!! Holly, River Horse is doing exactly the same thing!!
Pming you ---- but you may want to post the details here too since people seem interested in doing the same thing.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-12-11, 3:38pm
Formerly FishBulb

That's interesting info about using a horse trough. This might save me quite a lot of money on a tinbanger (the trade word for "sheet metal worker" )

My biggest issue at this point is, where do I even set up something like this in my teeny, packed house? But that's for a different thread.

I liked all the ideas you folks had on here. I will be keeping these in mind, including checking Craigslist for a fan. $ 20.00?? Wow! I won't get that lucky, but that's less than the $ 400 or so that I thought I'd have to pay.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2008-12-11, 3:50pm

Would this work??? Look at the price! Its not 600 CFM but close...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/hsh/938121127.html

Old 2008-12-11, 3:58pm
Gay rights R human rights

with that low a cfm you do have to make some changes to a standard hood. It would be essential to have it mounted to a box, in other words, it has a back and sides. it concentrates the vacuum action and lets you get away with less cfm. make sure your ducting is rigid and as straight as it can be. the shorter the run the better.
its still a bit low in the cfms but much preferrable to a box fan. still wear the respirator with silver glass or foil tho.....

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-12-11, 4:02pm
Gay rights R human rights

ok your craigslist is waaaaaay better than mine....this is what $50 will get you here.....

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/hsh/954145732.html
pulls about 150 cfm

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-12-11, 4:04pm

Actually, I was intending on building a "box" of sorts for anything that I put up in the future. Something that would have a SS back to it.

Old 2008-12-11, 4:23pm
jessica barksdale

i think it looks good christopher as long as you make the adjustments suggested (that you were looking to do anyway) & at that price, you can save for a better system down the road, that is, if you feel you need one.

snatch that up!

jes
i make stuff & also things.

|
Old 2008-12-11, 4:35pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MardiGrasGlass View Post
I will look into a respirator. This is actually a good idea, if they aren't that expensive.

Would something like this be effective?
http://www.professionalequipment.com...k-respirators/
yup, mine is similar. As long as it is rated P100 it should work. As i said, if it doesn't you'll figure it out pretty quickly. Just remember to change the filters regularly.

Are you a guy? If yes, then keep in mind this won't work if you have a lot of facial hair. the respirator works by making an airtight seal over your mouth and nose... It took a couple sessions for me to get used to breathing through it but once i did i was fine.

Anyhoo, let me know if it works!

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2008-12-11, 6:11pm

Red face

Lana, here are some pictures of the system Quincy put in for us.

This system is smaller than Quincy's but it works wonderfully. Same type of hood, which she put together at her house and then just hung it off of the rafters and the same with the ducts for the fan as you can see in the pictures.

Mega-Minor, Mid Range on M15 OXYCON,PP

Old 2008-12-11, 6:47pm
Pyromaniac

Very cool. I think I might even bring the sides down farther. Where did you get your exhaust fan?

Old 2008-12-11, 6:59pm

Quincy provided the fan and she got it through a friend. The fans are I believe are out of mobile homes that are being rebuilt or something like that. Quincy could tell you better than I. I am sure she would not mind a PM from you about it.

Mega-Minor, Mid Range on M15 OXYCON,PP

Old 2008-12-11, 7:15pm
just quincy

The hood with 600 cfm is only that on HIGH speed. Those ratings on range-hood vents are misleading. They are very loud usually. I got my fans from an HVAC guy who had to replace them (for more powerful ones) in manufactured homes. They are rated at 2000 CFMs and I put Steve's on a rheostat--he didn't need that much umph...and with the draw, he didn't need sides

Old 2008-12-11, 8:28pm

You don't really need a SS back. I used cement board which is much cheaper and won't conduct the little heat that builds up even with the Cheetah running full blast. This thread shows my setup. The fan is in the middle back of the bench.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64554

I figure you could build a single torch model for $100 or so.

Cheers,

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2008-12-12, 7:28am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post
You don't really need a SS back. I used cement board which is much cheaper and won't conduct the little heat that builds up even with the Cheetah running full blast. This thread shows my setup. The fan is in the middle back of the bench.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64554

I figure you could build a single torch model for $100 or so.

Cheers,
This is a really nice setup too, I wish I could beam you or Quincy over to Memphis!

This thread is coming along at just the right time, I think my fan is on the fritz. Time to upgrade . . .

Old 2008-12-13, 8:52pm

OK, I am jumping in here and going to ask a question. I have a hood over my torch, one of the ones you would normally put over your stove, and it vents into the attic and then outside...but it doesn't really seem to be sucking out the fumes. I also have a patio door behind me so I have a source for fresh air (I keep it cracked even in winter). My problem is the neither my DH or I am very mechanical, and I have had both my plumber and my HVAC person here. Neither knows what to do. I think I probably need a more heavy duty fan pulling out the air, but I have nobody to turn to around here to help me get it or instal it. Does anybody have any suggestions about who I could call. Reading this thread has gotten me to really thinking about this again because I have been coughing a lot lately and feeling generally "off" and it hadn't occurred to me until just now that this could be the reason.

Thanks for any suggestions you all might have.
Deborah

Old 2008-12-13, 9:07pm
jessica barksdale

do you know how many CFM the fan pulls? usually the ones that come within the stove aren't super high.. if you aren't very mechanically inclined & have the money to spend you might want to check out some of the complete vent systems you can buy. glass craft has a complete system for $345 plus ship: http://glasscraftinc.com/product/pro...m?part_id=7159

otherwise i'd think about replacing the fan with a model with a higher CFM - i would think 800cfm would be a good number - this may not fix your problem but its the first thing that comes to mind.

jes
i make stuff & also things.

|
Old 2008-12-13, 9:30pm

going down to look right now.

Old 2008-12-13, 10:55pm
Flamewoman

Personally, I do not think that glasscraft system is worth it for $345 plus shipping. I got a 900cfm blower from grainger that was $185 , and had my local HVAC shop build a hood for me that cost $125. Can't remember what we spent on ducting, but Deborah, you already have a hood and ducting. I hope when you say that it is vented up to your attic you mean that you have solid ducting all the way to the outside. If it is vented into the attic, you are possibly contaminating your whole house, as the NOX could easily get back into the house that way. Anybody with a business license can order from www.grainger.com or have some business, electrician etc & have them order it for you. I have the squirrel cage type blower, and it definately works.
If you are using the fan that came with the rangetop hood, they are usually low cfm's and then what ever ducting you use with them lowers it even more. People who use the flex ducting ( like glasscraft's) also lose cfms to the resistance caused by the flex ducting. Smooth ducting is the prefered choice, 8 or 10 inch.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-12-14, 6:52am

so many fans. how do i know which one to get. i have straight line ducting. 8 " I believe. will photo later. going to double check attic.

Old 2008-12-14, 8:11am
Flamewoman

This is the formula that I used, to determine my cfm requirements.

Basic rule is 125 cfm of air flow per square foot of hood opening

Simply figures something like this for a 18 x 30inch hood

18x30 = 540 sq in

540 / 144 = 3.75 sq feet

3.75 x 125 = 468 CFM

When I did this for my hood, I added just a little bit more, ( it came to a little over 800cfm ) to compensate for my ducting. Your ducting can reduce your cfm's, depending on how many turns, size, etc.
Once you determine your cfm requirements, then you need to think about how it will be installed, so you can determine which blower you need. We looked for a while, but very happy with what we bought. If you would like to see what I have, go to the second page of the "Studio" threads, and it is called "My Studio is FINALLY done!" by Mary K . My pictures show in detail how we ventilated my studio.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-12-14, 5:14pm

Hi all,
Thank you so much for your concern. This is such a caring wonderful place. I talked to the people at Wale and at the ISGB group there. Also showed them photos of what I have. The general opinion is that I should keep my hood and vent (it is straight line and not flexible) and install a grainger fan with a high CFM (about 1000) in the attic. This will keep the noise low and will still be powerful enough to pull out the noxious air. I have an HVAC person coming this week. I will also make sure that the air vents outside, not just into the attic. Will report back when it is all done.
Again, thank you for your help.
Deborah

Old 2008-12-15, 4:48pm

Just saw this fan. Price is great. What do you all think??http://www.marylandhydroponics.com/acshpoblexfa.html

Old 2008-12-15, 5:19pm
birdergirl ~o~

I have the 800 cfm of this fan, it sucks really good (!)
I wish I had mounted it outside the shop instead of in it is very noisy.
Make sure you know what size would suit your shop.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-12-15, 5:24pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by debezog View Post
Just saw this fan. Price is great. What do you all think??http://www.marylandhydroponics.com/acshpoblexfa.html
This is where I purchased my fan from. I do have to say that a fellow lampworker purchased a fan from them and it did not work. She returned it and had the same problem again. I have not had a problem with my 800 cfm fan at all. Maybe it was a bad batch?? I would not have a problem ordering from them again.

Dawn

Old 2008-12-15, 6:43pm

Speaking of fans and ventilation...

Today I tried torching with my new setup. I opened the window and put a 20" box fan on the window sill facing outward and turned it on high. Before I even lit the torch, I did the incense trick. I lit a stick and held it over the torch head at the angle the flame would come out. The smoke from the incense went straight towards the fan and out the window. So for curiosities sake, I moved the incense back behind the torch, same thing, out the window. And then I moved it from the right of the torch to the left and either direction I went the smoke still went out the window.

I know its still not sufficient, and I will work on a vent hood in the future, but for now it seems to be working.