Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-05-02, 7:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
It would be a custom job, Robert. So, it would take longer than "two weeks."

Sweet, Yeah I figured it would be custom and take more then 2 weeks. Do you know how they would do that? Like would they modify an existing GTT torch or would they make a one port one barrel torch body and stand?

Do have any pictures of a cheater torch?
Old 2006-05-02, 8:21pm
PyronamixK

They have made both hand torch versions and bench burner versions. I do not have any pictures.

The body of the torch is 1/4" outside diameter. The flame range goes from the size of a bee stinger (the little sharp tip on the end) to the size of a pencil (1/4"). There is no other torch that can get as small as that one does. You have got to see it to believe it.

You can sneak in between flower stamens on paperweight setups. You can reattach legs on ants. It is like a little laser. You can hit a stamen to the left or right of the stamen that you are working on and it won't make it collapse and drop over instantly. You will just see a little orange glow. But, if you leave it there long enough, then it will fall over. Al Janelle used his to go into the eye sockets of his animal head beads and work the detail.

The neat thing about it is that it is so stable, it won't shut off if a breeze hits it. And it doesn't blow itself out, either, like a premix does (e.g., the Smith Little Torch).

It will work finicky glass (Gaffer, Kugler, leaded glass, etc.) without reduction. It will melt a 1/4" rod of boro. It's good for working set-ups and super-fine detail. There are people out there who have them, but I am not at liberty to reveal their identities or the type of work that they are doing with them.

I won't discuss the pressures it can run on. I'll just say that it works and leave it at that.

Oh, O.K., I can't hold out. That torch can run on very low pressures, of course. But, I know someone who runs his on 40 psi oxygen and 15 psi propane (because it is in-line with his other torches). And, he can get any flame he wants out of it... by using the needle valves.

Well, I'm off to go take some pictures of a bench burner on a bet.
Old 2006-05-02, 11:40pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
This is so friggin hilarious. I've been laughing all day. I really have. When I had my Mirage, I was told by several people... not sure who, my memory fails me... but I was told to turn down my pressure at the tank reg, because I was having a problem working the soft glass with such a fast driving flame.
This puzzles me. I don't know why you would have such a hard time. Maybe the best thing would have been to have someone who routinely runs a soft flame on a GTT to show you how they do it without changing the regulator pressures.

When you turned down your regulator settings, how low did you have to set them to get a soft flame?

Quote:
No matter how good you say your valves are, they can't produce a large soft flame unless you turn down line pressure. For any of you that beleive Kimberly, get on a bigger torch on tanked oxy and just try it. You may get a small soft flame like the one she showed, but when you turn the valves open further to get a larger flame, it's rushing at a high rate... this can only be corrected by adjusting line pressure. Period. No magical valve can do that job. GTT makes a heck of a torch, but it just can't do what she claims...
Here are some pictures of a large soft flame from the centerfire of my Phantom (the same as a Lynx). Some of them are taken with a flash and some are not. I was trying to get the best picture of the flame. Sometimes, the flash would make parts of the flame invisible.

The flame is roughly 1" across and 12" long. The torch is angled, so it looks shorter. It is a large soft flame made by using only the red and green valves - basically mimicking a Bobcat. This is a "standard" flame, not a triple mix flame. The regulators were set at 50 psi oxygen and 20 psi propane.

Quote:
Anybody that can show me a torch that can some how produce a flame in the middle to upper range of that torch in size, in both soft and driving depending only on valve settings, can have a full days worth of my work. Which, if I'm arguing a point with Kimberly that day, won't be much.
I have already shown the photographs of the large soft flame. Now, here are some pictures of a driving flame.

The first two pictures are a hard driving flame made with the red, blue, and green valves (triple mix). The third picture is ahard driving flame made with just the red and green valves (standard -again, mimicking the Bobcat). The flame measures in at a length of about 22" for both the triple mix version and the standard version. The torch is angled, as I mentioned earlier, so it looks shorter. The width was different, though as the inner oxygen sharpens the flame. The width for the triple mix version was about 1/2" and the width of the standard version was just a little bit wider. I made the adjustments from the soft flame to the hard driving flame using only the needle valves. The regulators were still set at 50 psi oxygen and 20 psi propane.

Here are some special flames using all three valves on the centerfire of my Phantom.

The laser flame is about 1/4" wide and about as long as the hard driving flame. It was made using the red and blue valves only. The pinpoint flame was very hard to photograph. The thinnest part would not show up no matter what kind of lighting I used. It starts off about 1/4" across then quickly tapers to literally the width of a needle. Again, the regulator pressure is set at 50 psi oxygen and 20 psi propane.

So, there you have it. I have shown that you can get a soft flame and a hard driving flame without changing the regulator settings. I also showed a teeny tiny needle flame that using Brent's logic, should have been blown out by all that high pressure gas ripping through the torch at high pressure. In a previous post, I showed a small soft flame made on a Lynx hand torch - which is the same thing as the centerfire of my Phantom. I used very high pressures just to demonstrate my point that the needle valves control the flame, regardless of regulator settings. The regulator pressures limit the high end of what you can get out of the torch and affect the responsiveness of the needle valves. The photographs that I have posted should speak for themselves and put an end to this nonsense. My point has been proven.

Oh, I almost forgot... There was no "whoosh" sound at any time I was running the torch. There was definitely some hissing while I was running the hard driving flame, but no whooshing.
Old 2006-05-03, 4:41am
boro color bender

Well, I have to go out of town... so, I have to stop this for real. Too bad, because I could have taken some of my own pictures.

Kim, you are always on here talking about running with the blue knob closed... is this just for demo purposes or can you run that way for working long periods? I was always told to have the blue knob at least cracked.

I was also told only to run the blue and red combo for short periods... is this something you can run longer term? I always heard it could damage the torch.

These are pretty well known rumors. I have heard them all over the place. It may serve GTT well to have this info on their website... also, you may want to add that line pressure really doesn't matter. Set your GTT to 50 and 100 and rock and roll. This would have saved the discussion at AGI about what line pressures are right for a Delta. Just ask them to put on the GTT site, that it doesn't flippin matter and all adjustments can be made at the torch. It would really save some time for people. Be the first torch company that does this. Some sort of info or specs listed would be awesome on the GTT site. Some tips and tricks on getting the whole range of flames possible that are safe to run would be really really helpful to a lot of people. Nobody can argue that the GTT isn't an amazingly versatile torch. It really really is. I loved my Mirage and I use my Cheetah occasionally now. Update the GTT site with this info, if it's solid like you say it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2006-05-03 at 4:43am.
Old 2006-05-03, 4:56am
Nah, not really...;)

Not to butt in or anything, but I do want to say:
'Thank you' for taking the time to post all those pictures and the explanations. Nice job.

Last edited by HardwoodTrailGlass; 2006-05-03 at 4:59am.
Old 2006-05-03, 5:03am
boro color bender

Yeah, thanks for taking the time Kimberly. Really.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-05-03, 6:23am

Haven't wanted to butt into this love fest, but, Robert, I can only say what I do and have done for a good many years. I work primarily soft glass, but do frequently work boro, solid sculpture as well as perfume bottles. Whenever I have gotten a new torch, I have always set my pressures to the max setting recommended. My reasoning behind this is that I will have the upper end of what the torch can do if I need it, but I can dial it down to whatever I am working on. I have never changed my pressure settings for my own work, although I do change the settings when I have 8 to 10 torches running off one tank. This doesn't mean I am right or wrong, just the way I have worked for over 15 years.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2006-05-03, 7:44am
boro color bender

Come on now Pam... we all know you like to argue as much as Kim and I do... you act like you don't... but you do. I get under your skin all the time. I prolly give you the full body quivers when I tell people how much I like my Chili Pepper. It's all good. People will set their torch however they want to. Crank that pressure up GTT people it doesn't matter.

Old 2006-05-03, 8:24am

Brent,

You are right - Pam loves intelligent debates which is why engaging her is not always an intelligent decision. However, the statement "that people will set their torches at whatever they want" is not the point. A specific technical question was asked for a reason and should be answered techinically.

I think Willie has the background and knowledge to provide accurate information when it is asked and the fact that Kimberly is the messenger doesn't lessen that information. Anyone who has met Willie or talked to him for any length of time will tell you that he is extremely intelligent and very knowledgeable about all aspects of the glass business. Kimberly has actually been an excellent liaison between the forums and GTT.

Barb
Old 2006-05-03, 8:32am
PyronamixK

My last post proved my point, so I really don't have anything new to add right now. However, since you are asking some questions...

Quote:
Well, I have to go out of town... so, I have to stop this for real. Too bad, because I could have taken some of my own pictures.
What would your pictures show? Why wouldn't they show something similar? I ran the soft large flame and the hard driving flame on the red and green valves only. The blue valve is the difference between the Bobcat and the Lynx, the difference between standard mix and triple mix. So, the flames I dialed in without the blue valve could just as easily be dialed in a a Bobcat, a standard torch.

Quote:
Kim, you are always on here talking about running with the blue knob closed... is this just for demo purposes or can you run that way for working long periods? I was always told to have the blue knob at least cracked.
When you are running at the upper ends, you can run red and green only without cracking open the blue valve.

When you are running a medium flame for a short time, like five minutes, you can run without the blue valve.

When you are running low or middle range, you should crack open the blue valve. This will not affect the flame much, just make it a little bit narrower.

Quote:
I was also told only to run the blue and red combo for short periods... is this something you can run longer term? I always heard it could damage the torch.
On the Lynx (and centerfires for Phantom and larger), you can run a flame made on the red and blue valves indefinitely.

Quote:
These are pretty well known rumors. I have heard them all over the place. It may serve GTT well to have this info on their website... also, you may want to add that line pressure really doesn't matter. Set your GTT to 50 and 100 and rock and roll. This would have saved the discussion at AGI about what line pressures are right for a Delta. Just ask them to put on the GTT site, that it doesn't flippin matter and all adjustments can be made at the torch. It would really save some time for people. Be the first torch company that does this.
You could run 100 and 100 if you wanted to. The needle valves control what gets to the torch. The reason that pressure recommendations are given is that those are the pressures where the manufacturer believes the torch performs at its best. Remember, the pressure settings determine the upper end of what you can get out of your torch and how responsive the valves are. Pressue settings also affect the regulators, as well (like stated by Arrow Springs). So, pressure settings do matter.

Quote:
Some sort of info or specs listed would be awesome on the GTT site. Some tips and tricks on getting the whole range of flames possible that are safe to run would be really really helpful to a lot of people. Nobody can argue that the GTT isn't an amazingly versatile torch. It really really is. I loved my Mirage and I use my Cheetah occasionally now. Update the GTT site with this info, if it's solid like you say it is.
Well, watch the video that comes with the bigger torches and read the instructions that came with each torch. That would have saved you a lot of time. GTT was the first to ever send highly detailed instructions with their torches. GTT was the first to ever send a video along, as well. So, just because something is not posted on a website doesn't mean that it isn't available or hasn't been given out.
Old 2006-05-03, 8:34am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodTrailGlass
Not to butt in or anything, but I do want to say:
'Thank you' for taking the time to post all those pictures and the explanations. Nice job.
You're welcome and thank you!
Old 2006-05-03, 8:40am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam
Haven't wanted to butt into this love fest, but, Robert, I can only say what I do and have done for a good many years. I work primarily soft glass, but do frequently work boro, solid sculpture as well as perfume bottles. Whenever I have gotten a new torch, I have always set my pressures to the max setting recommended. My reasoning behind this is that I will have the upper end of what the torch can do if I need it, but I can dial it down to whatever I am working on. I have never changed my pressure settings for my own work, although I do change the settings when I have 8 to 10 torches running off one tank. This doesn't mean I am right or wrong, just the way I have worked for over 15 years.
Pam, I think your reasoning is very sound. I also believe that your experience in this field is very valuable.
Old 2006-05-03, 8:46am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb
Brent,

You are right - Pam loves intelligent debates which is why engaging her is not always an intelligent decision. However, the statement "that people will set their torches at whatever they want" is not the point. A specific technical question was asked for a reason and should be answered techinically.

I think Willie has the background and knowledge to provide accurate information when it is asked and the fact that Kimberly is the messenger doesn't lessen that information. Anyone who has met Willie or talked to him for any length of time will tell you that he is extremely intelligent and very knowledgeable about all aspects of the glass business. Kimberly has actually been an excellent liaison between the forums and GTT.

Barb
Thank you, Barb!

Willy is extremely intelligent. He is also very patient. This makes him an excellent teacher. I have learned so much over the last couple of years by just asking him questions and listening to his answers.
Old 2006-05-03, 3:53pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb
Brent,

Barb

I agree Miss Barb. Well, except for the last part. I'll engage the Binkster every chance I get and most of the time that means engaging Pam. I love giving Kimberly a hard time. I told her I would and will continue every chance I get.

Old 2006-05-03, 4:40pm

You know, Brent, you have just confirmed in writing what I have thought for a long time. You will argue with Kimberly any time over anything she says. It doesn't matter whether she is right, you will take the opposite point of view.

Take this thread, for instance:

Robert asked, "So my question is if I have my Barracuda torch setup to one of the following settings below, what would the difference or advantage between the settings be?"

I answered Robert, "The only difference in 3/10 vs. 5/15 would be the ultimate output of the torch, were you to use it full open. Since most of us do not normally operate our torches full open, I doubt you would see much difference.

Kimberly answered, "Pam is right because it is the needle valves that control the flow. A higher pressure will make your valve control more touchy. And a difference of just a couple of pounds would be hardly noticeable."

Then there were pages of you arguing with Kimberly and she was kind enough to take time from her busy life as a mother with a young child to take pictures to illustrate what she stated.

Robert comes back and says, "Higher psi makes the torch valves more touchy.
and Higher psi make the makes a hard driving flame at the same volume instead of a soft flame."

And you said, "You've got it man... that pretty much sums it up in a very basic nutshell."

Which is where we started. While most of us learned a lot in this thread, thanks to Kimberly, you were rude, insulting and condescending when it was totally unnecessary, and then you state you will act this way every chance you get. If your intent is to get her to leave LE, then I would say you are doing a pretty good job of it, except for one thing - Kimberly is made of stronger stuff. And yes, I will intercede on Kimberly's behalf because I find her to be an extremely intelligent person who adds a lot to this forum and knows a lot about the technical aspects of our art form and I respect and appreciate her input.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2006-05-03, 6:12pm
boro color bender

Well Pam, I made a statement a while back voicing my opinion. She was rude, unprofesional and told untruths about me... but, she's your buddy, so she can do no wrong. I didn't argue this point because I just wanted to go against her... I feel her statement isn't entirely true and still do. You can set your torch however you want. If you don't like my point of view, dismiss it. I will challenge her any time I feel she doesn't have it right... I won't when I do think she has it right.

Old 2006-05-04, 6:11am
Safety ALWAYS

Oh good lord. Not again.

Rude, condescending, arrogant, foolish. That sums it up pretty well for me as well, Pam.

For someone who is a moderator, and supposed to be "above such things", I wondered what the purpose of such continual, bordering on personal, attacks, were. Now, it's there for all to see. It's all about ego. And an overinflated one at that.

I suppose this post will be deleted like my previous ones have been any time I've tried to stop this endless bickering between these two people, but the fact remains that one person has shown themselves to be honest and untiring in their goal to get good information out there for everyone to use and the other person is taking simple delight in trying to be an ass.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-05-04, 11:05am
boro color bender

Yeah Mike... as a supply business owner AND a forum owner are you above it? Nope, you and Dale go at it just as bad, if not worse. It's all good if you think I'm being mean to her and I shouldn't be. I certainly didn't start out being mean to her. She kicked me in the nuts first a short time ago... I've always said, you get what you give with me. Never sugar coated it one bit. I'm not going to let anybody be a jerk to me. I am so nice to the people I like. I'll make no bones about who I think are jerks... there are a few of you, but thank god there aren't many in the glass blowing industry. Most people are nice and unpolitical when it comes to stuff. Don't be mad because I have the courage to call it like I see it and not slink off like the bullies want. I'm just fighting back and having a little fun, while we discuss issues!

Old 2006-05-04, 11:19am
boro color bender

For those of you scratching their head trying to figure out what I'm talking about that happened between Kimberly, Pam and I... it has been deleted. It got that bad. We try to keep things around, but that thread certainly needed to be cleaned up. Stinky stinky. So, stop looking for it and scratching your heads. See you all soon. I am finally getting out of here. This is why I plan on leaving way early... it makes me on time. Oh, and I got the PT Cruiser today. Woohoo!

Old 2006-05-04, 11:27am
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
Nope, you and Dale go at it just as bad, if not worse.
Well, I take exception to this. Yes, Dale and I have our disagreements, but we have never taken it to the level IN PUBLIC that you have done with (to) Kimberly.

Dale and I have come to a gentlemans agreement about such things, and if you would care to notice, there has not been an obnoxious dispute between us in nearly a year. Maybe its time for you to do the same. But, as always, you live in the past, not the present, which is why you keep dredging up all the old sh*t everytime someone dares call you on YOUR behavior.

I'm not perfect, no one is, but I've changed the way I behave on-line, maybe you should consider doing the same.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-05-04, 11:49am
PyronamixK

Quote:
For those of you scratching their head trying to figure out what I'm talking about that happened between Kimberly, Pam and I... it has been deleted. It got that bad. We try to keep things around, but that thread certainly needed to be cleaned up. Stinky stinky. So, stop looking for it and scratching your heads. See you all soon. I am finally getting out of here. This is why I plan on leaving way early... it makes me on time. Oh, and I got the PT Cruiser today. Woohoo!
Oh, Brent, quit playing the victim. You know what instigated my comments towards you on that thread. I called you on something and you didn't like it. And, your behavior in it was remarkably similar to what you have displayed here.

I have a copy of it (what was posted up until about two hours before Brent "cleaned it up," anyway). If anyone one is that interested and would like to see how things developed and why, just ask and I'll email it to you.

At any rate, I have remained quite civil towards you since then. I have not gone out of my way to argue with you unnecessarily. I certainly have not taken up one side of an argument simply because you are on the other side.

I don't have to call you names or accuse you of anything. Your public displays (and not just your posts concerning me) speak volumes as to what kind of person you really are. And I'm sure that's fine with you. You are obviously very comfortable being "you."

I sure would hate for this thread to go the way I suspected it would as soon as you started up with the insults. There is a lot of valuable information in this thread. I would hate to see it disappear because you can't let go of your ego.
Old 2006-05-04, 12:11pm
boro color bender

Cleaning it up was my punishment for getting into it with you. I had to do all the editing and make the thread make sense again. All I said is that I classify GTT's as a boro torch. Period. Just an opinion. You didn't like that. I never said they won't work for soft glass. I never said people shouldn't use them for soft glass. I just said they are a boro torch in my mind. You didn't like that. Like my mind matters so very much, you have to attack and discredit me? I am just a glass blower. Nothing more. I love what I do and my experience has taught me things that I base my opinions on. I am very comfortable being me... jump my shit for having an opinion and you'll get yours jumped right back. I've always made that perfectly clear. You could have simply disagreed politely and we would not be in this mess. Really. People disagree with me all the time. It's how they do it that sets the tone for our encounter. If you have it saved, go back and read who got nasty first. Maybe you'll see why I got offended.

Have a nice 11 days folks. I'm outta here. I'll see some of you in NC.

Old 2006-05-04, 1:41pm
PyronamixK

Brent, you can re-read the thread and read my explanation of why I took exception to your post. Your post was not a simple opinion and your comments were further reaching than a simple “GTTs are a boro torch, in my opinion.”

If you would like to discuss this further, I suggest that we take it to the woodshed and spare this thread.

“Why not take it up privately?” some may ask. I have found that Brent is much more civil towards me in public than he is in private. If you think he is rude to me in this thread…
Old 2006-06-01, 8:19am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Yeah Mike... as a supply business owner AND a forum owner are you above it? Nope, you and Dale go at it just as bad, if not worse.
Excuse me....

Mike and I have a understanding.... There has not been any confrontation between Mike and myself for quite a while....

You on other hand seem to blow into a thread, raise hell for a few days, and then depart, all this for no real reason... You have done it in some Safety threads, and given bad information and impressions and left confusion and disgust behind, now you are causing a problem here, and you have the nerve to accuse Mike and myself of being bad boys...

I liked you better before your ego and arrogance stepped in... Even if you are ineffectual as a moderator....

Shame on you Brent...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-06-01 at 8:21am.
Old 2006-06-01, 8:58am
boro color bender

I love you Dale, wanna snoodle?

Old 2006-06-01, 9:11am
PyronamixK

You know, that isn't even funny. I know you like to snap back with your "humor" when you get called on things, but really, that wasn't funny. It was tasteless, at best.
Old 2006-06-01, 9:13am
boro color bender

Whatever. Digging up a terd and sticking your finger in it, just to proclaim how bad it stinks is silly. I met his rediculous post with another. Don't like it, start your own forum and you can control what is said there... oh wait, Dale already did that.

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2006-06-01 at 9:18am.
Old 2006-06-01, 9:30am
Safety ALWAYS

hmmmmmmmm...that reminds me: Don't feed the troll.
Attached Images

Last edited by MikeAurelius; 2006-06-01 at 12:39pm.
Old 2006-06-17, 9:59pm

that picture is great!