Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-11-12, 5:07am
Noobie

Thanx Candice.
I only had about an hr. at the torch yesterday, I cant wait for this weekend..I really want to try some of the hollow tubes I just got. Ill take some pics and post tonight if I get a chance. Im going to make some for my girls teachers ...These would make a really cute x-mas present.
Old 2008-11-13, 5:54pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

the tutorial is now up on a web page at www.patienthandstudio.com
you can do the pay pal thing from the web site and download it as well. So those of you who couldnt deal with a big email file, now you can download directly from the web.

I wanna see pics this weekend of the things folks are trying with the tutorial.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2008-11-14, 6:05am

O my gosh,have got to the pulling points in the tutorial and I am suddenly realizing that my coordination is terrible. I've always thought it was pretty good until now. Where has it gone? I keep blaming it on to much heat, but personally I think I just stink at this. I guess it is a just a PPP thing. I keep saying to myself. I will not give up! I will not give up! I will not give up! Is anyone else having the same problem with pulling points?

Glenda
Old 2008-11-14, 7:17am
HotFlash Designs

Here is my feable first attempt. LOL I thought I burned one of them, so I quit. Turns out, it wasn't, and I should have continued trying to level it all out. I like it anyway.

I'm going to try to make some blown ones today.

Will you guys share pics? Or should we start a new thread?

Sheri

Thanks again Candice for getting it out to us.

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2008-11-14, 9:03am
Tinder Bloom Studio

I did a bunch! I decided that I would dedicate one tube (48" boro) to just getting points down and I still struggle with getting them on center but I am able to pull good sized points. It really helped me undertand the heat in boro...muuuuch different than soft glass. Talk about stiff glass!! I'm hoping to get my hands on some soft tubing in the future but the one thing I do like about boro is I can pretty much throw it into the flame without much worry...BUT then it takes for ever to heat it to a good soft point.

I used to blow studio glass so turning tube is similar to turning a big blow pipe so I already have muscle memory on keeping things rotating.

Anyway I'm doing a craft show tommorow and I'll try to post my ornaments. Some are not on center but this was my first try with tubing so I'm happy.

Thank You Candace again for such a detailed tutorial!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-11-14, 9:31am

Has anyone tried the 104 tubing that Arrow Springs is offering? I believe it is old chandelier glass.

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-11-14, 9:33am
Run Free Sweet Boy

ok ok, I will confess... I also really really struggled with pulling points when I was learning, and my mom had the most fugly collection of wonky ornaments and things you ever saw. But at the time I gave them to her, I was dang proud. And justly so, because I had struggled to get that far. so, none of you are alone in this, and blown work is not a walk in the park, it does take a lot of practice. But oh my.. when you get there... the thrill...... I wont go into details, use your imagination... lololol

When pulling points it best not to get the glass runny hot, just hot and fluid. heat a BROAD area so you are not cheating the points for glass and making them weak, and dangerous. Weak points can snap in your hand ,not good. I would rather see you melt the glass off a tube and have one good long point than 2 weak ones. You can always add a bit of rod to the end of a rounded off tube as a handle and pull another point using the handle. Use a fluffier flame, not a hot and sharp one, it will heat a broader area that way. You can also hold your tube at an angle to the torch so it heats a broader area if need be. With soft glass work further out in the flame, like you do for beads, and for boro work closer to the torch head.

Dont give up.. you CAN learn it. But I am not gonna lie to you.. it takes a lot of practice.

Sheri.. great first trys, look better than my first ones did. Keep at it, it gets easier as you practice and learn control and even heat.

Candice

Old 2008-11-14, 9:35am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Ginko, I am hoping my shipment of chandelier glass arrives today so I can try it over the weekend. It is a larger diameter and heavier wall than I have used in soft glass before. I will let you know what I think as soon as mine gets here, and send a pic too.

Candice

Old 2008-11-14, 1:36pm

I am interested in how it works for you. Mine has been sitting on the shelf for quite a while now, as I have not tried it. Don't know what I expected when I ordered it, but I was quite surprised at how large it is.

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-11-14, 3:53pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

hi Ginko, I agree it is large diameter for a beginner. Someone new to holow work would be far better off with 15 and 18mm tube to learn on. Not saying it can be done mind you... just a difference in the degree of difficulty.

Candice

Old 2008-11-16, 6:25pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

its sunday night and I have seen no pictures.....boo hoo....

Candice

Old 2008-11-16, 6:33pm
Tinder Bloom Studio

Tomorrow I promise! I did a sale yesterday and came down with a cold today....

I'll be making more this week also. It's addicting once you get the process down!

Old 2008-11-17, 5:43am
Run Free Sweet Boy

oh Suzzanne,

Hope you fel better soon. I hate getting a cold.

Candice

Old 2008-11-17, 4:07pm
Senior Moment

Okay Candice......here it is........my first ornament! This guy's cute, but he is only the size of a very small olive!! Don't laugh!
Attached Images

Old 2008-11-17, 4:33pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

woo hoo Lysa!!!!

Mine were smaller when I started too, they make great lil christmas necklaces if you glue the cap on. To avoid the no frit on the top of the ornament, be careful not to heat the neck when you melt the frit into the glass.

Candice

Old 2008-11-19, 7:44am
HotFlash Designs

I love it!!!

I hope more of you share your results. I love to watch the progress.

I have been MIA from the torch this week. I haven't done anymore, but I think tonight......

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2008-11-19, 10:11am

I've got sidetracked ... as is my want! I'm making angel ornaments.

This was the first. I've made two more - now annealing in the kiln. I managed to get the halo a little tidier, but would like ideas on how to make these neater. I'm thinking if I blow the tubing for the skirt that will make it smoother?

Old 2008-11-20, 5:41am
Run Free Sweet Boy

well... you can blow the skirt from tubing, and leave the neck area open, then make a bead for the head, the halo is wire at the top where you have wired the bead to the body. you can also make a little bell angel by adding a little bead clapper and chain to the underside of the head, inside the body.

If you continue like you are, try using your tweezers to mash the wings in 3 places to give them a feather look. You can also lap the wings. Heat a sectio of rod, attach to the base, heat more glas and lap it onto the first section you heated, repeat that so it is lapped 3 times , then pull out the wing shape. I have made angel wing pendants that way as well.

thanks for showing your work.... enjoy the journey

Candice

Old 2008-11-20, 7:05am
Tinder Bloom Studio

This is a horrible image! But I shot it with my iphone and I just wanted to show something! I was having trouble with boro color so I did a bunch in clear to get the technique down. I'm getting better at pulling straight points but it's a challenge. I have lots more and will be shooting better images. I ordered some neon from acme girl so I can play with better colors. I have a lot of furnace glass color!

I've made loops for all these. Some loops broke off though but I'm learning and they are getting better also.

Thank You Candice!! This was the thing I needed to get me to blowing glass again!

Old 2008-11-20, 7:21am

WOW Suzanne!!!! Those are awesome.
Old 2008-11-20, 7:22am
giggety-giggety

Suzanne those are wonderful! ( btw...your glass is on the way!). I am sad to say I haven't been able to do anything but read the tutorial. Still haven't carved out any play time Christmas is coming soon...but you can choose different colors and make those "witch balls" that supposedly ward off evil spirits right?

My etsy:

Old 2008-11-20, 8:07am
Does it come in Purple???

I purchased this tutorial and it is awesome. I have learned something just reading it. I can't wait to actually "do it".

I printed mine on my black and white laser printer to put in my Tute Notebook. It is very clear even in b/w.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2008-11-20, 8:07am
Does it come in Purple???

Great work to those who have shared.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2008-11-20, 9:15am
Tinder Bloom Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
WOW Suzanne!!!! Those are awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acmegirl View Post
Suzanne those are wonderful! ( btw...your glass is on the way!). I am sad to say I haven't been able to do anything but read the tutorial. Still haven't carved out any play time Christmas is coming soon...but you can choose different colors and make those "witch balls" that supposedly ward off evil spirits right?

Thanks They are actually off center a bit but you can't see it in the picture.

I sell ornaments in the summer and call them suncatchers and also witch balls.( remnants of my studio glass days)

I'd like to add bits to the outside to the ornaments...we'll see if I can pull it off. I wish boro wasn't so stiff and had better cheaper colors! I bought chinese tubing and since I don't know anything else it works well for me at a fraction of the cost of other tubing.... I can't wait to try the Neon tubing!! Hopefully I won't shatter it trying to heat it up...

Old 2008-11-20, 12:38pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

Suzzanne,

if you are using boro tubing and working in clear only, you can also get a very skinny graphite rod,, like maybe 4-5mm ( I peel a copper coated welders electrode) sharpen the end, and make internal stars in an ornament.

You just heat a spot on the bubble and poke with the graphite quickly. Make sure you flame anneal very well , and dont let your pokes touch eachother on the inside. And if you have any of the gold that fires onto the glass( hanovia used to makle it) you can paint that into the internal spikes and fire it,, sell like hot cakes.

Your ornaments look great, but your sequence is different than mine. I make the hook before I finish the end, and I never let the ornament get cold before adding the hook. You may find that if you are working colors, or soft glass you will have a lot more that crack if you let the body of the ornament get cold before you add the hook.

Candice

Old 2008-11-20, 4:08pm
Chrissy

Suzanne what size tubung did you use to make your ornaments? They are beautiful!!! I am having trouble scoring the tube to seperate it from the bulb. Man is the neon glass hard.

Old 2008-11-20, 4:16pm
Tinder Bloom Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
Suzanne what size tubung did you use to make your ornaments? They are beautiful!!! I am having trouble scoring the tube to seperate it from the bulb. Man is the neon glass hard.

I'm using boro tubing and its 24mm heavy 4mm walled.

Thanks for the tip on the hooks Candice. I deviated from your tutorial as I read somewhere the person let his ornaments cool and then do the hooks. I'll try it differently next time.

It's fun to try all the different techniques and find what works for you!

Old 2008-11-20, 7:35pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

suzzanne, you can probably get away with it using boro,but soft glass is another critter al together

Chris- neon tubing is actually pretty soft glass. Try a simple quick score, put some spit on the score, turn it away from you, hold the mini ornament in a towel etc to protect your hand and pull in an arc. I press out with my thumbs on each side of the score and pull, works every time. But an old time scientific glass pal( worked on the manhattan project, yup a nuclear bomb) told me there is actually something about the spit/water that interacts with the glass to help it go ahead and snap. he was far brighter than I was, but he could have also been having a very quiet laugh in my direction.... but, it does work for me.

Candice

Old 2008-11-20, 8:21pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
Suzzanne,

if you are using boro tubing and working in clear only, you can also get a very skinny graphite rod,, like maybe 4-5mm ( I peel a copper coated welders electrode) sharpen the end, and make internal stars in an ornament.

You just heat a spot on the bubble and poke with the graphite quickly. Make sure you flame anneal very well , and dont let your pokes touch eachother on the inside. And if you have any of the gold that fires onto the glass( hanovia used to makle it) you can paint that into the internal spikes and fire it,, sell like hot cakes.

Your ornaments look great, but your sequence is different than mine. I make the hook before I finish the end, and I never let the ornament get cold before adding the hook. You may find that if you are working colors, or soft glass you will have a lot more that crack if you let the body of the ornament get cold before you add the hook.

Candice
Candice - can you explain the "internal stars" thing? I don't understand at all what you mean

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-11-20, 11:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
well... you can blow the skirt from tubing, and leave the neck area open, then make a bead for the head, the halo is wire at the top where you have wired the bead to the body. you can also make a little bell angel by adding a little bead clapper and chain to the underside of the head, inside the body.

If you continue like you are, try using your tweezers to mash the wings in 3 places to give them a feather look. You can also lap the wings. Heat a sectio of rod, attach to the base, heat more glas and lap it onto the first section you heated, repeat that so it is lapped 3 times , then pull out the wing shape. I have made angel wing pendants that way as well.

thanks for showing your work.... enjoy the journey

Candice
Thanks for your help there Candice ... I'll try both things and see how I go. I'm also trying to gold fume them for the pink and pretty look!