LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-08-18, 3:46pm

Default Eye Problems

My eyes have been getting very bad lately. I just went to the eye doc last month and had all the tests done. He didn't see a problem but my prescription did change in one eye after at least 10 years of having the same prescription in both eyes. OK, I'm getting older I can deal with that. Also I've been wearing contacts for a gazillion years, maybe the fuzz is coming from the new solution I dunno. Lately for at least a few days after torching for maybe 4 hours or more on and off, my eyes have been getting very fuzzy. Very. This is a few hours after I'm done for the day.
Anywho- I've never had dry eyes before. Is this what it's like? It feels like there is sludge in my eyes no matter how many drops I put in there. All this has started since I started torching and it's making me nervous! First had didys, then went to the Aur-99?92? whatever it was for soft glass, then my scrip; changes and now I'm looking through a veil every night until I take out the contacts and wear the stupid glasses that I hate. (whine)
The first thing I'm going to do is go back to my old lens solution, but I was wondering if anyone has gone through this crap before and what happened??? I really don't want to quit, but if this keeps up.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-08-18, 7:38pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Sounds like you have protein build up on your contacts. I have the same thing happen to me. So I gave up and wear the glasses and only use my contacts when I get "dressed up" and don't want to wear glasses... still, I take the glasses with me 'cause I can only wear the contacts for a few hours at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-08-19, 5:54am
Safety ALWAYS

Its your contacts. As you get older (and we all do, eventually), the amount of tears that your eyes produce gets smaller and smaller. The change is very gradual and you usually don't notice it unless you are doing something that requires extra lubrication and wetting, such as torch work.

Get some rewetting drops designed especially for contact wearers. Use them every hour. Above all "DO NOT USE MURINE" Use something that is pure saline.

On a piece of white paper, with a black magic marker, write the word "BLINK". Put it at the rear of your work station in your visual field. You won't "see" it, but your brain will, and it will trigger a reflex action to blink your eyes. The blinking action helps relubricate the eye and the contact lens.
Old 2005-08-20, 6:47pm

Happy update. It was the solution. I went back to the old stuff yesterday and torched for 6 hours today. Almost 10pm and no veils.
I'm still getting older though.

Old 2005-10-01, 7:55pm
Fire! Fire! Fire!

Default Eye Problems

Hi! I had been having problems with ultra dry eyes. My eyes were so dry I could barely see my computer screen at work without putting drops in every half hour. Adjusting took like 2 minutes. It was wasting so much of my time. I'm taking Evening Primrose Oil -- 2 capsules in the a.m. No worries any longer. I love how clearly I see my computer screen now. I don't think you're supposed to use it if you're pregnant.
Old 2005-10-05, 2:24am

thank You for this thread.
i also have myself terrible dry eyes (with "sand " in it) since 1 year
again after 8 months i have to change my glasses to see my work behind the torch..... actually i have the same problems as you described
and after torch work (5-6hrs) they sometimes start to weep and burn in the inside. like an allergy to some pollen.....

yes getting older.......

what is primrose oil? something homeopatic? (? natural medicine)

natty

natty

www.perle-et-verre.com