Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-15, 8:13pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Default Sterling tubing - 3mm ID

I know, I know, another sterling tubing question, try not to flame me please

I have requests for small cored beads that have a 3mm hole . . . has anyone used the tubing from Santa Fe or Otto Frei in this size?

I'm thinking about trying a couple of tubes, one being the tubing from Santa Fe, part #118150 which has a 3mm ID, 3.77 OD, and is 26ga.

Also, from Otto Frei, part number 844-3830/12, 3.05mm ID, 3.8mm OD . . . they don't give a gauge size but from the measurements I can assume it's slightly thinner than the Santa Fe tubing.

I typically use the tubing from IJS, so I'd like something of similar thickness and of course seamless so that it doesn't split.

Does anyone core beads with a smaller hole and have experience with any of these two suppliers? Any input would be appreciated.

TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-08-15, 10:30pm

I haven't cored with the Otto Frei tubing but I can tell you the last time I bought tubing from them (some years ago now) the tubing came in 3" pieces ... very wasteful for what I was doing with it at the time! Just something to bear in mind when you buy...

Old 2010-08-16, 1:55am
Alaska Boro

Tried some .999 - .128 x .010 wall from Rio Grand to core 1/8 inch mandrel boro beads. Seems that the dead soft tubing just splits. Not sure if it was the tubing or the coring gadget.

And did not care for the $8.66 freight charge for the shipment of 1 ounce of silver from Rio Grand.
Old 2010-08-16, 5:45am
Sorry for party rockin'

Thanks!

Sadie - Otto carries 3" and 12" pieces of tubing, I did notice the small pieces while I was looking through their site.

Alaska - I'm not sure about the fine silver tubing from Rio either. But I also don't think I want their heavy wall tubing, so I've sort of counted them out.

Anyone else . . .. Bueller?

Old 2010-08-16, 8:15am
Broken

I'm going to watch this mainly to find some different size tubing for tube setting stones. I'm having a hard time finding tubing in canada so maybe I'll try Otto Frei.

Old 2010-08-16, 8:56am
sunscreen me baby

I cored a lot of my first beads with the Rio 1/4. Splitting wasn't a problem at all.

Just throwing my 2 cents in

~

Old 2010-08-16, 9:22am
Hobby Junkie

I use 1/4" from Rio all of the time and have never split one.

Old 2010-08-16, 9:45am
Sorry for party rockin'

Oh, I use the 1/4" tubing from Rio too, but they don't carry a 3mm ID tube in that thickness . . . it skips from 2 to 4mm. The only 3mm ID tubing that Rio carries is the heavy wall tubing and that stuff is twice as thick.

Old 2010-08-16, 10:57am
aka Spawn Of Flame

- not answering your question at all, but Metalliferous has some tube close to 3mm.
http://www.metalliferous.com/pdf/sil...und%20Tube.pdf
2.91 mm 0.010" thickness.

--
--
--

Old 2010-08-16, 7:16pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Thanks Rose!

Old 2010-08-17, 8:41am
Sorry for party rockin'

So, has anyone cored beads with smaller tubing?

Old 2010-08-17, 10:20am
Uh Oh....

I've cored 3/32" mandrel beads with 3/32" copper tubing. Actually, the bead was cored onto a copper piece since it's almost impossible to get a chain through when cored.

Old 2010-08-17, 12:07pm
Broken

I've done 1/8 th of an inch and a random brass one that was smaller. It worked out fine.

Old 2010-08-18, 9:48pm

I have a bunch of silver tubing from Rio. Let me check on the dia, etc... if your still interested?

Old 2010-08-19, 2:33pm
Bad Cat Glass

I've used Otto Frei with good success. I've used them for Troll beads, which have smaller holes than Pandora, as well as beads with holes as large as 1/4 inch, and I haven't had any problems with splitting. The walls of the tubing seem perfect for flaring, and their prices are reasonable. My only complaint is that they don't always have a whole lot of stock, but I buy in fairly small quantities, so it isn't usually a problem.
Old 2010-08-21, 8:16am
Anat Golan

Hi Ginny
I have cored beads with a bead hole as small as 2 mm. I am not sure what you are battling with but I what I can say, is that your bead hole determines the size of your tube. If you are working with beads with a hole size of say, 3 mm you will need a tube size with a 3 mm outside diameter (OD). The ID of the tube is not really important.
I don't buy my tubing in the US so I can't say anything about the suppliers but I would mail them and ask what they can offer for your specific measurements (the outside diameter of the tube). If you take a look at Rio Grande catalogue you will see that they give both measurements OD and ID.
The most important point here is to make sure your tube fits tight inside the hole so when you hammer the tube while coring it, the tube will not be able to bend inside the hole.
I hope I have understood your dilemma and managed to answer your question.