Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-18, 5:52pm
Favorite color is shiny

Default Can we talk about the rare and the hard to find?

What I mean is... I know that the old EDP is hard to find and Vet. Pstl. Ivory but I just read that "Hand-Pull Silver Plum 271 and Dark Silver Plum 275" is also hard to find. really?

Does someone have a list going of the outgoing? or just off the top of your head?
I recently bought a combination of 104's. IN the group there was some EDP and well, as a newbie I'm glad I read before just burning it up. I just don't know if I have rods that I need to use sparingly because they are hard to find.

Any info would be helpful.

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---> LE
Old 2010-08-18, 5:56pm

Well, one camp says, "It's paid for... Use it!"

Here's what I'm aware of being scarcer:

Curdled Ivory, a batch of Moretti Dark Ivory
EDP
Silver Plum (both) handpulled, as you noted
Original Pineapple Sparkle - no white core
Poppy
River Rock
Vetrofond Ocean Green

Everyone else please chime in with more?

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-08-18, 6:06pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I seem to recall Parrot Green being sought after.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-08-18, 7:01pm

tin roof

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2010-08-18, 7:31pm
Super Duper

There are so many there is no point trying to keep track of them.
People have made lists before, but different people call them different things and give them different numbers and some colors have the same name but are actually different etc...

And there must be at least 20 corals that are expensive.

The oldest and most "famous" odd lot I'm aware of is streaky pink.
Old 2010-08-18, 7:41pm
Favorite color is shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTheNumberImp View Post
There are so many there is no point trying to keep track of them.
People have made lists before, but different people call them different things and give them different numbers and some colors have the same name but are actually different etc...

And there must be at least 20 corals that are expensive.

The oldest and most "famous" odd lot I'm aware of is streaky pink.
Totally understand what your saying Ryan about making a list. I was really just wondering what members came up with off the top of their head, much like those that were mentioned.
So far, I know that the EDP, Dk Ivory which CURRRDLES and the DSP I have, need to be used sparingly. I'm a newbie and it would be a mistake, any way you look at it, for me to PPP with those rods. We learn soo much from people taking the time to throw out this type of info. I appreciate it.

If you think of any others please let me know. Brown Opal Yellow? hmmm*

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2010-08-18, 7:54pm
Life is change. Love it

Lynn, how do you know you have anything rare? Was the EDP from another beadmaker., or from a vendor?

Old 2010-08-18, 8:37pm
Formerly FishBulb

The handpulled version of Moretti Pale Emerald Green; the newer version is yellower.

Handpulled Red Roof Tile, which should be a dark brick red and not that baby poo yellow that is currently making the rounds.

My older Nile Green Opalino is a far prettier green than the new stuff; the new glass has more yellow in it.

What is it with yellow these days??

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-08-18, 8:38pm
Formerly FishBulb

Amber Rose

Old 2010-08-18, 9:30pm

Handpulled Dark Teal - it's a richer color...
Some of the super-scarce initial Double Helix batches - Rhubarb, etc.

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-08-18, 9:31pm
Super Duper

To be honest, I think the importance of odd lots has gone down over time. Back when I first started if you wanted 104 glass there was just moretti. If you wanted a color that wasn't one of the fifty or so they had at the time, too bad.

Every odd lot was a big deal, especially since some colors were completely missing such as pink. When streaky pink is literally the only pink it's a big deal - now there are so many substitutes that an odd lot pink would just be another color.

Between the dozens of glass manufacturers and thousands of different colors many older colors have been near-replicated and you can have just as much fun with new colors as old ones.

The chances are that you will never be able to try every 104 color currently in production, so there is no point worrying about collecting old colors as well. If you really want something you can always mix it.
Old 2010-08-19, 2:46am
Favorite color is shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Lynn, how do you know you have anything rare? Was the EDP from another beadmaker., or from a vendor?
I really don't know for sure. Yeah, the glass was from someone who has stopped making beads and got rid of her stash. So, it's not NEW glass. I just know that if it's hard to get curdling dk ivory, then I don't want to use it all up just PPP'ing. I LOVE the ivories, guess I lean more towards the "organic" side, so the curdling effect appeals to me....plus, I hate regret!! heehee* The EDP was in that same group of glass as was the plums. Again, not so much rare as just can't get it anymore ya know?

---> LE
Old 2010-08-19, 3:02am
More ideas than talent

It's catch 22, because often the more expensive glasses have some nice effects and reactions.

I found it was a build up of experience full stop. As I learnt about how to shape glass and work with it (an ever ongoing battle), I also learnt about how different colours work in the flame - whether they're stiff or soupy colours, or how they chemically react against each other etc etc. Often with the expensive/rare colours you only need a little to get an interesting result. A rod of an expensive colour may last several years depending on how you use it.

A lot may depend on what type of learning curve you have/use.

Working with glass can also be quite hit and miss. There are beads I made in the first couple of months I started torching, that I'd be thrilled to make now. There are also numerous beads I make today which make me wonder what on earth I was thinking. Granted as time passes, the successes start outweighing the failures.

Use it, enjoy it, enjoy the successes, lament the failures. At the end of the day, it's only glass.

Old 2010-08-19, 3:05am
More ideas than talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
The handpulled version of Moretti Pale Emerald Green; the newer version is yellower.

Handpulled Red Roof Tile, which should be a dark brick red and not that baby poo yellow that is currently making the rounds.

My older Nile Green Opalino is a far prettier green than the new stuff; the new glass has more yellow in it.

What is it with yellow these days??
That's the other interesting thing - if you look at the rod, and think that the colour doesn't appeal, you should still melt some anyway. Some rods look quite unappealing, but do quite interesting things in the flame.

Old 2010-08-19, 7:56am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Old handpulled pale emerald green is hard to find. The new machine made stuff is much more yellow whereas the old was kind of Coke bottle green.

ASK Cinnamon is another that I know people treasure.

--
--
--

Old 2010-08-19, 10:45am
old fart

have you tried this

http://www.glasscolor.com/lampworkin...rent_cane.aspx

Old 2010-08-19, 2:01pm
Formerly FishBulb

Wendy, yes I have found some glasses look entirely different after being in the flame, Painted Desert being one of them. I'll usually buy at least one rod of everything I can get my hands on just in case I like the finished product!

Lynn, I have both the real Curdled Ivory as well as the new batch of Moretti Dark Ivory and I've really found no difference -- if anything, the newer Dark Ivory curdles even a bit better.

Old 2010-08-19, 3:12pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh, how I love some of the HTF glasses!

Personal favs:

Streaky Pink - yum! Looks like this (paddle test is the only way to be SURE!):

DH Northern Lights - looks like this:

ASK Passionate Pink - looks like this (white core until torched):

Poppy - both versions - which look like this:

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-08-19, 5:30pm
Favorite color is shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
Wendy, yes I have found some glasses look entirely different after being in the flame, Painted Desert being one of them. I'll usually buy at least one rod of everything I can get my hands on just in case I like the finished product!

Lynn, I have both the real Curdled Ivory as well as the new batch of Moretti Dark Ivory and I've really found no difference -- if anything, the newer Dark Ivory curdles even a bit better.
Angie, that's good to know because I ordered "DK Ivory, the good kind or curdling kind" from someone here on LE because I thought there was an older that curdled way better than the newer....UGh!!! I know it's a matter of opinions but that's why I'm soooooo glad we have such great people on LE to throw those opinions out there for us who are just starting to develop our own......opinions!! hahaha*

Thanks De for adding to this by posting pics. You know us newbies need the visuals..hee*

---> LE
Old 2010-08-19, 7:38pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Oh yeah, Passionate Pink. I have some of that and I hoard it like a fiend.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-08-20, 2:02am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post
MMMMMmmmmmmm reich...

Old 2010-08-20, 3:08pm

Dee, if my firstborn weren't old enough to protest very loudly, I might offer to trade you for a rod of your DH Northern Lights! LOL I'm fortunate enough to have been gifted some of the old DH colors, Dk Rhubarb and Nebulae and I treasure them. Some other hard to find/in demand colors that come to mind:
Effetre Dk Pink - Crazy Cane and Rasberry versions
ASK Mediterranean Olive - the original color
ASK Moroccan Swirl
Effetre Translucent Yellow
Vetro River Rock
Vetro ELO (extra light olive) a newer odd that came and went really fast
Vetro Olive Green - not the dk

Old 2010-08-20, 3:19pm
Entropy increasing....

It depends on if you want them or not. If you are someone who has been doing something with streaky pink for a long time and it's disappearing then you might want it. I don't give a rat's patootie about streaking pink, but the Silver Cinnamon and the ASK Caramel Apple I have is precious to me. So are the few rods of River Rock I still have.

I sold a bunch of the Translucent Yellow I had because I don't use yellow much. Except for Opal Yellow.
Old 2010-08-20, 3:52pm

Can anyone tell me what is about streaky pink that people like is it the streaks or the pink?
Old 2010-08-20, 4:25pm

Thanks Kimberly
Is there a color out now that is close?
Old 2010-08-21, 12:17pm
one day at a time

Effetre petroleum green from 2002-2005: a deeper "bluer" teal and more reactive. Not like this washed out stuff that's been around since then.
Old 2010-08-21, 2:42pm
Lampworkaholic!

Striking Color, especially some of the old recipes, but any one will do. I'm addicted to that glass - it's like a box of chocolates - you never know what you will get.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-08-21, 6:35pm
Favorite color is shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Effetre petroleum green from 2002-2005: a deeper "bluer" teal and more reactive. Not like this washed out stuff that's been around since then.
Lisi, (or anyone)
Maybe you can help me with this particular question. (I have a few more coming...heehee*)
On the Left we have Petroleum Green on the Right we have (what was tagged) Nile Green, but what do we have in the middle? Oh, and let me throw out that I have another Green Rod that looks nothing like the Nile Green in the picture, but is tagged Nile Green...LOL

---> LE

Last edited by Seasoned Soul; 2010-08-21 at 8:48pm.
Old 2010-08-21, 6:44pm
Favorite color is shiny

I have both of these in by Yellow Opal stash, purchased from two different people. I haven't melted the dark core rods to know the difference between the two. So what do you mean when you say "Yellow Opal, the brown stuff"?

---> LE
Old 2010-08-21, 7:37pm
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
DH Northern Lights - looks like this:

LOVE these first double helix glasses!