LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Old 2013-01-11, 10:24am
Addicted to Melting Glass

Default Lampwork leaf headpin tutorial

I just posted a video tutorial on my blog for making leaf headpins on steel wire like this:

Here's a link to the tutorial.

Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-01-11, 11:14am
Loving learning

Thank you Patty!
Leaf Mashers are on my mental wish list, this tutorial will make a great project once I have some.
Old 2013-01-11, 11:22am

Thanks for taking the time to make and post the video, Patty. Very generous of you.

Mimi
Old 2013-01-11, 12:09pm
Making doo-lollies

Great Video Patty ! Thank you for sharing your technique with us. The leaf mashers are on my wish list too. Plan on making these when I get one.

Have a great weekend !

Old 2013-01-13, 10:42am

Thank you so much for doing this!! I recently got a leaf masher and I will get a mandrel pin tool and try this! I thought the video was great - very easy to follow.
Old 2013-01-13, 10:58am
Feminist Killjoy

Thanks, Patty! I've tried making droplet headpins in the past, but they weren't up to par. I'll have to try some of these. I see you're in Santa Cruz. I was just there yesterday. Dropped by Kiss My Glass while I was there.
Old 2013-01-13, 11:44am

Thanks Patty!!! The earrings are beautiful.

My Facebook
Old 2013-01-13, 4:37pm

Great video Patty. I'm going to get some wire and give this a go, thanks for sharing.

Old 2013-04-27, 1:46pm
Echo's Mother

Thank you for sharing. I've become addicted to making tiny leaf headpins. I'm ready to move up to larger leaves.
Old 2013-04-28, 12:42am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing - I will give this a go, it looks like lots of fun

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2013-06-19, 1:36am

Great tutorials. In my 30 some years of jewelry design, I am not sure to what you are referring to as "steel wire?' And where do you buy it, and what gauge are you using?

_
Old 2013-06-19, 5:20am

thank you for sharing. love the earrings.
Old 2013-06-19, 5:40am
Feminist Killjoy

Sheila, the 19g blackened steel wire is available at Orchard Supply Hardware. It's the only gauge they seem to carry, actually. Maybe Lowe's or Home Depot has it, as well. It's packaged on a yellow cardboard spool, and looks totally black. I love to use this wire for other jewelry purposes, too. The blackening can serve like an LOS patina. Once you've finished your design, you can steel wool it to remove the blackening from the high spots.
Old 2013-06-19, 7:43am
Practicing perfect

Great video Patti. Thank you for sharing.

Old 2013-06-19, 8:43am
Addicted to Melting Glass

Annie is correct on the wire. You can also seal it when you're done with Renaissance Wax to protect the finish (whether you've removed some of the black or left it). Sometimes I use 19 ga, sometimes I use smaller, depending on the end use. FWIW you can also do this on copper wire too, or sterling silver if you're careful not to melt it in the flame.

Old 2013-06-19, 12:56pm

Many thanks for this excellent video, Patty!! I have been doing something similar with copper wire, but I am excited to try the black steel.

Best regards,
Helene
Old 2013-07-02, 1:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiteCuntrary View Post
Sheila, the 19g blackened steel wire is available at Orchard Supply Hardware. It's the only gauge they seem to carry, actually. Maybe Lowe's or Home Depot has it, as well. It's packaged on a yellow cardboard spool, and looks totally black. I love to use this wire for other jewelry purposes, too. The blackening can serve like an LOS patina. Once you've finished your design, you can steel wool it to remove the blackening from the high spots.
thanks

_