Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2005-10-22, 12:00am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam
Default boro clear, what kind and where to get it

I have searched some of my favorite glass stores online ,but they only have coloured boro:S

I know I must have clear to make beads, but what kind of clear do I need , and where can I buy it??

Suzanne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-10-22, 6:19am
Bad Machine

In no partiicular order, the commmon brands of clear stock are, : Simax, Pyrex, Kimble/Kimax, Schott Duran, and Chinex (various Chinese sweatshop production).

Here are some places to get the clear boro.

http://www.generationsglass.com
http://www.lampworkingsupplies.com
http://www.arrowsprings.com/
http://www.glasscraftinc.com/
http://www.waleapparatus.com/
http://www.winshipdesigns.com/
http://www.mountainglassarts.com/

Best wishes.
Old 2005-10-22, 6:30am
ManBearPig

I only use Simax clear. I get it from http://www.pegasus-glass.com/ . They only sell it by the case. When I need just a few rods I go to www.lampworkingsupplies.com

Old 2005-10-22, 7:41am
traumaqueen

great! Thanks so much! I do want to get just a few rods to try it out first ( plus a case is incredibly expensive to ship to the Netherlands!)

Suzanne

Old 2005-10-22, 12:38pm
Safety ALWAYS

www.auralens.net as well.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-10-24, 8:15am

It really depends on what is more important, quality or price?
If price is a factor, then Kimble Tube and Simax Rod.
If clearity and quality is important, then Kimble Tube and Kimble Rod.

Kimble Tube is cheaper than Simax Tube, but Simax Rod is cheaper than Kimble Rod.
Old 2005-10-24, 8:40am
<--- Time traveler

Frantz carries it as well.

Courtney
Old 2005-10-24, 8:48am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4GlassStudio
If clearity and quality is important, then Kimble Tube and Kimble Rod.
I'm the other way around. I think the Kimble looks sort of yellowish, while the Simax has very little color (and what color it does have is somewhat blue) so I think the clarity is better with Simax. But, I guess it could be a difference in how you work it and what colors you pair it with...

Old 2005-10-24, 9:23am

Default color testing

We use the same thickness of rod, score and snap down to two feet, then view over a white background looking down the center. Side by Side.... Schott is the clearest. Allthough, Kimble gets sand from two places. One is cracked and acid washed before it gets to them. When that source is used, it is as clear as Schot. When the other sand is used, it still has less color (iron) than the Simax Boro. Opinions aside..... Kimble is clearer and has stricter tollerances for od and id variations.

But, hey....... people use what they have closest to them and what ever clear they are use to. Both have great glass and I use both.
Old 2005-10-24, 9:28am

Another test you can do is make the same piece out of solid rod. I make chess sets. Put finished pieces side by side and the Kimble has way clearer optics. The Simax will look almost cloudy next to it. After all, the largest sculpural companies like Glass Barron and Arribus Brothers won't use Simax for that reason, even though it's cheaper.
Old 2005-10-24, 11:31am
traumaqueen

well shucks Mike why the hell didn't I know you had it as well!!!!!