LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-06-09, 9:15am

Just found this post. I am also looking at getting a cottage shed and also wondering how big it should be. I am only working with a hothead now but would like to go a torch set up if I know what I am doing. I haven't been able to practice now for 2 months (I am a newbie) but want my own space. I too live in PA and want to make it so I can work year round so insulation is very important. We are close to Amish (Lancaster) and they make some beautiful Amish Sheds. I think I have finally talked my DH into it. Now it's just a matter of how, where and which size to do it!! I have to think about electric and ventilation also. So much to think about. Val, thank you for posting pics and letting us know how you are doing things so I can make good decisions about it. Thanks to all of you who help us out with suggestions and your knowledge. LE is a wonderful place. I am learning so much here. Thank you to everyone here.
Old 2009-06-09, 9:50am

micsmom, that's wonderful you are considering one too. I looked at the Amish sheds, they tend to be delivered complete, so you might have some size limitations. I found everyone here saying go larger than you think you need. It's likely good advice. I also found that just a couple feet more on both sides can double your price all around, it's crazy!

At a minimum, about 10'x12' seems to be the smallest you want to go, and generally at that size, your township won't require a permit.

Look the sheds over in person, some of them are not well made and might look good in a photo, but corners are cut. Get a real Amish shed and you'll be fine. I'll update as I go. I got the quote today for the bluestone patio. Oh gosh, I think we're going to have to stay here a while to enjoy all this is going to cost! I can't wait however!

Sara, oh yes the little cottage I had on the canal is what I'm trying to replicate I think. Just wish the ducks came with it, but alas our dog won't let that happen!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-08-03, 8:30pm
Just Me!

Smile

Hi Val,
Just wondering how your Cottage Studio is coming along or is it complete?
Would love to see some photos and hear about it.......Valerie
Old 2009-08-04, 7:59am
burnin' glass just becuz

what a great thread! i can't wait to see how the building is coming along too...

one question tho, do any of you with outdoor studios live in very cold climates? while I love the idea of a separate outdoor studio i can't imagine leaving my warm house to trudge through several feet of snow and -40c winds no matter how much i love to torch(LOL).

right now i'm definitely living vicariously through all of you. there are really some beautiful workspaces posted here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland