Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-02-17, 8:14am

Default First Boro Stuff Plus Question.

I finished the GA sample project kit yesterday, and made the following things. (The Marble is really wonky because I started running out of OXY during it and had to finish it quickly.) However, on the bead that I made the closeup of I used GA Triple Passion and coverd it with some dots of clear. I flame stuck it so that the entire bead was a light purple color and garaged it at 975 degrees, after everything was done I ramped the kiln up to 1050 degrees and held it for about 40 minutes. When I pulled them out I noticed that the while the color under the clear dots was pretty close to what I started with, the outside color had gone very dark. Any tips on how I can prevent this next time? Mr. Smiley you out here?
Attached Images

Old 2006-02-17, 9:22am
weird

I've found that striking boro purples that aren't encased will strike darker in the kiln, even at 1050. If it's encased, it doesn't seem to change much. The same goes for most other striking colors, too - they always go darker for me if they are on the surface and not encased. I always anneal at 1050 as well, and for about the same period of time as you, and it happens to me every time. I'm not sure what can be done to avoid this besides completely encasing everything. Of course, I only have a couple of years of off and on experience with boro, so I'm certainly no authority on the subject.
Sarah
Old 2006-02-17, 9:25am
ManBearPig

No real way to prevent it that I know of. That's what it's supposed to do...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.