Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2012-03-03, 2:36am

Question What about beads with words?

Hi,

I searched for an answer, but could not find one. So, is it okay to use words on the BOC beads? I have done just a few so far, like "Hi", "Hello", "Smile", "UR GR8!", and "Ouch!".

Would more beads like that be a good idea or not?

If so, what would be suitable/popular? There may be medical acronyms or inside jokes that would be fun, but I just don't know them. I thought about doing names too - but not really long ones!

If anyone could suggest names, phrases, etc. that are (hopefully) no longer than 7 letters long, I would have fun practicing my stringer work. I just bought metal stamps too, so could maybe use those. Any hints or directions are appreciated. I am willing to take special requests also from the BOC administrators, like beads in certain colors with specific names.

Cheryl
Old 2012-03-03, 9:27am

Words of encouragement are always a good idea. Names get more complicated, but encouraging words are always welcome. Greart stringer practice, too!

Robert
Old 2012-03-09, 6:06pm

BuyBeads,
After a torching session making nothing but beads with words on them, I kinda agree with you! It was hard picking words that I thought were appropriate, but it was fun in the end. I packed them all up and am going to the post office this afternoon.
Cheryl
Old 2012-03-09, 7:22pm
Loving learning

I wonder what the chances a bead with just a letter would get to the right child that would see meaning in that particular letter.
I'd be inclined to just decorate with other things if the words were not working (and I cannot imagine myself writing on beads, just don't have the stringer control!)
Old 2012-03-09, 7:29pm

How weird. When I got back from the post office, BuyBeads' comment was gone. Now my comment to her/him doesn't make sense to anyone else. Oh well. Robert, my beads are on their way -- 212 total (not all words!). The tracking number is 03100480000265356351. Please let me know if any style is preferred over the others, and I will happily make more.
Cheryl
Old 2012-03-09, 7:49pm

Hi Eileen,
So you saw the comment too before it disappeared! Here are some photos of the word ones I made. If you can think of others that would be appropriate, please let me know. I haven't had experience with children with cancer, and don't know if something is silly, dumb, or rude to them. From looking at sites for inspiration, it seems a lot of kids develop a dark sense of humor. No surprise there, I guess, but it's sad. In case you can't see the words, they are: "hugs XXOO", "Brave", "Bravo!", "Luv", "Love", "groovy", "Port", "Faith", "Pray", "You Rock!", "Way to Go", "GR8 JOB!", and "KOKO" (keep on keeping on).

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-03-09, 8:05pm
Loving learning

Amazing!

How about:

Hope
Win

gosh, it's hard coming up with more, you have such good ones though!
Old 2012-03-10, 9:11am

The Word Beads look great. Hope and Win would be wonderful additions to the collection.
Thanks for the creative approach!
Robert
Old 2012-03-10, 10:45am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Cheri, those are awesome and what a fantastic idea! I'm going to see if I can write well enough to make mine legible,lol, I've never tried that.

ETA: What about 'dream' and 'play'?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alb6094; 2012-03-10 at 10:49am.
Old 2012-03-10, 12:46pm
Chief Creative Goddess

wow--these make me want to try them too--but the stringer control, er, ummm,...yeah, PPP!

Old 2012-03-10, 9:26pm

Those word suggestions are great, and I will make more for sure. For me, the best stringer I've found for writing is an opaque glass encased in clear and pulled thin, but not hair thin. The clear keeps the color from spreading, and the inner core won't go transparent if it's a dense opaque. You can see on the LUV beads that the pink isn't dark enough to be easily read. Thanks for your comments!
Old 2012-03-10, 9:52pm

Love it! Teens are so into words these days. I think they're are going to love these!

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.