Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-08-31, 3:09pm

Very nice!
Old 2011-08-31, 8:17pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Holy toledo, that's a ton of glass! Jealous.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-09-02, 4:16am

Very nice.
Old 2011-09-05, 12:38pm
We are all meant to shine

Now I know what it's like to have glass envy! You have more glass than I have studio and the newly tiled work surface is lovely! hmmm.. Must plan on getting male family members addicted to melting glass so they will work on studio!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-09-08, 1:07pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I love your lighting, too. I am struggling with getting enough light where I need it. Any suggestions?

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-09-10, 12:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
I love your lighting, too. I am struggling with getting enough light where I need it. Any suggestions?
Lori It would all depend what and where you are trying to light. Moms studio has recessed can lights built into the drop down soffit that surround the room. In the center of the room there are (2) 4 foot long t8 flouro lights with natural day bulbs in them. Right above her Work bench is a 500 watt halogen work light that i mounted to the wall. I was sold as a "cool light" as the heat it puts off is less than a normal halogen work light. Under each shelf of the glass storage there is a under cabinet that use short flouro bulbs. I would stay away from LED lighting as it just isnt that bright. If you could send me some pics of what you are having issues with i might be able to make a suggestion.
Old 2011-09-10, 12:54pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I see that my problem is wattage. I think I have a total of 24 watts of lighting when I clearly just need to blast my workbench with at least a couple hundred. Thank you for your help!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-09-10, 1:34pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I'll say the obvious. You could make bank designing artist studios. Lots of people
haven't the foggiest of how to set up and make it useful - they still have their glass
rods in old glass jars and their tables are garage sale finds. I'll bet people would
totally pay you to do studio layouts.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2011-09-10, 1:37pm

im esspensive and it cost a lot to feed me =0)
Old 2011-09-10, 1:45pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGGEDCHEVYS View Post
im esspensive and it cost a lot to feed me =0)
....cute, very cute, Chris . I'm just so happy to see a mom and son working together to make each one's world a nicer place. Could not happen to two more well deserving, wonderful people. Well done, bravo!!

Old 2011-09-10, 2:26pm
Bead Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofilia View Post
....cute, very cute, Chris . I'm just so happy to see a mom and son working together to make each one's world a nicer place. Could not happen to two more well deserving, wonderful people. Well done, bravo!!
I am very BLESSED!

Old 2011-09-10, 7:47pm

NOOOOOOO im blessed =0)
Old 2011-09-10, 11:49pm
><>

So tell me about the blessed cross ventilation?
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-09-11, 12:19am

The set up is a lightly assisted passive air system. There is a aprox 500 cfm fan pushing air in from above a open door way directly behind the main torch and a passive air vent large enough to flow greater than 1500 cfm at the other end of the studio. The push pull concept is nothing new but a lot of people somewhat fail in trying to match or exceed the intake air to the exhaust air creating a high pressure enviorment that causes the exhaust gases to swirl around the room instead of being sucked up into the ventilation. Most intake fans don't have ducting on them and no static pressure where a exhaust fan on a hood generally has ducting turns bends and so on creating static pressure so a 1500 cfm intake fan and a 1500 cfm exhause fan don't equal eachother out in the end the intake over powers the exhaust. A light negative pressure or neutral pressue has always proved to work quite well in the past for my benches in the welding shop and also our paint booths were under light negative pressure.

Last edited by BAGGEDCHEVYS; 2011-09-11 at 12:32am.
Old 2011-09-11, 12:54am
Artistically Absorbed

Thrice green jelly bean! I wanna play at your house! Really nice job! It's nice to see a son pamper his mom!
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2011-09-11, 11:07am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Interesting system. The reverse of almost all others. The concept is viable because if you think of a vent system as a length of ducting and the room as a larger swelling in the duct then whether the air is pulled out one end or pushed in one end the required flow is established. remember it is the flow of air past your head that removes the contaminants that is important.
Old 2011-09-11, 11:25am

Quote:
shop is aprox 965cf with a variable speed 1500cfm 10 inch inline fan.:
Chris, Do you by chance have a link to the fan you are using?
Darrell
Old 2011-09-14, 12:50pm
><>

Quote:
The set up is a lightly assisted passive air system. There is a aprox 500 cfm fan pushing air in from above a open door way directly behind the main torch and a passive air vent large enough to flow greater than 1500 cfm at the other end of the studio. The push pull concept is nothing new but a lot of people somewhat fail in trying to match or exceed the intake air to the exhaust air creating a high pressure enviorment that causes the exhaust gases to swirl around the room instead of being sucked up into the ventilation. Most intake fans don't have ducting on them and no static pressure where a exhaust fan on a hood generally has ducting turns bends and so on creating static pressure so a 1500 cfm intake fan and a 1500 cfm exhause fan don't equal eachother out in the end the intake over powers the exhaust. A light negative pressure or neutral pressue has always proved to work quite well in the past for my benches in the welding shop and also our paint booths were under light negative pressure.
Thanks
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-09-16, 4:19pm

Chris, you are amazing!

Old 2011-09-18, 5:34am
Unique Glass Expressions

Awesome studio set up! And thanks for sharing all you knowledge!

Annmarie Stanesa

Old 2011-09-18, 6:29am
Lampworkaholic!

Cool. Do I see 3 torches?! And I'm glad someone actually has more pink and opal yellow than I do. (I can't ever pass up a sale on those colors.)

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-09-18, 7:43pm
Bead Obsessed

Yes, 3 torch stations. I have a soft glass and a hard glass station that I will use regularly and a third station that will only be used when I teach.

Old 2011-09-26, 9:59pm
Superkitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
I snagged the pic of your glass shelving. ( Hope you don't mind) I have the same thing but it is full of glass top to bottom, but I love the drawers under it instead . I will have DH add drawers and I already have two of the shelving units. This is one of the best ideas I have seen.
Drawers under the shelving. Brilliant! I think I just found my winter project.

Chris, what a great space you've made for your mom!
Old 2011-09-27, 1:00pm
Salt Box Beads

Lets post pics of our under the glass stash drawers when we have them installed Deb...
Old 2011-09-27, 8:03pm
Bead Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Lets post pics of our under the glass stash drawers when we have them installed Deb...
Great idea, I'd love to see them!

Old 2011-10-03, 8:59am
Dianne Gleaton

What a terrific work area, glass envy of course, but sure would like that vent system.
Can you please give info on fan purchase. I am setting up a new work area and want
to do the vent right the first time. Have checked for fans, but get confused. Squirrel,
and various other types are the problem with my brain. TIA, Dianne
Old 2011-10-03, 6:13pm
in my happy place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
- they still have their glass
rods in old glass jars and their tables are garage sale finds.

you've been peeking in my studio windows!
Old 2011-10-03, 7:29pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Gleaton View Post
What a terrific work area, glass envy of course, but sure would like that vent system.
Can you please give info on fan purchase. I am setting up a new work area and want
to do the vent right the first time. Have checked for fans, but get confused. Squirrel,
and various other types are the problem with my brain. TIA, Dianne
Hi Diane, Have you read my horse trailer thread? It has lots of pics and shows a fan installation. It might give you some clarity?
Old 2011-10-04, 9:07pm

What a great space and a nice son!

Old 2011-10-05, 9:00am
Dianne Gleaton

Looking at your wonderful studio, I have a question. I am getting ready to set up a new Nortel Mega Minor torch and vent system. The way you have your vent tubes set up, do they work adequately for exhaust? What size fan do you use? TIA, Dianne