LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-03-03, 3:03pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Congrats!!! Keep us posted how you're settling in ... and keep posting pics of the different stages of the sheds etc!!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2013-03-06, 9:14am
They see me rollin'...

Aw, thanks! I did get the glass shack ordered Monday. Also had a job interview for a job that I would really love yesterday. I was one of only 2 candidates, and I think the interview went well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because my hopes have been dashed before. So who knows.

I went to the home show Sunday and was able to speak with various vendors about a carport, the funny-tasting well, maybe replacing some windows, etc. It was very productive!

I even had a talk with the representative of Cleary buildings; they build metal pole barns, among other things. I explained to him what I was needing, and he estimated that a pole building that would combine hay storage, garage and shop would cost $3000-$4000 more than my glass shack + carport. That's just a rough estimate, but that's not going to work with my budget. So I felt better about going ahead and ordering the shed. They said it should be ready around March 18! Yay!

Then I came out of the show to a thunder-blizzard! I had trouble finding my car because they were all plastered with snow, then had to drive the 25 miles home in it. One whole side of the house was plastered with snow, too. It was wild! The high winds were the worst...I honestly thought our new loafing sheds might blow away, because the ground is too frozen to anchor them right now. I've never experienced high winds like that before!

I had put a cabinet on the back deck that I am going to paint later. The cabinet was blown from one side of the deck to the other.

I think maybe it is the same cold front that hit Chicago and parts east. I could be wrong, though. It sure made an impression on me!

-Patti

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Patti
Old 2013-03-06, 5:45pm
Temptress

Oh wow - you got caught out in that, did you? It was pretty weird. I had a friend north of Laurel end up in a sudden 90 minute blizzard and I didn't get anything but a few snowflakes and a little wind late in the afternoon. Too bad though as we could have really used the moisture. There were quite a few accidents in the Billings area.
Yeah, the wind can really kick up here. I heard they were 60-80 mph in some areas. Glad I missed that part this time. I did watch our big barbarque grill cross the deck all by itself though.
May I ask where your job interview was? Don't worry if it's too soon to share. No matter. Good luck! I hope you hear something quickly.
Old 2013-03-07, 8:57am
They see me rollin'...

Yes...I think we followed the storm all the way to Pompey's Pillar. I realized later that if I had pulled over for a few minutes it probably would have cleared up. As it was, we drove about 40 mph the whole way.

I'm sorry you didn't get any! It was very wet snow, too. It stuck to everything like cement. The wind was the worst, though. It howled for hours that night. I kept thinking that this is what it must be like to be in a hurricane.

The interview was at MSU Billings...the interviews lasted all afternoon, and I think I did very well. I don't want to get my hopes up too much, though. I might actually hear today, but if I don't hear anything than that might mean that they picked the other person.

BTW, I just had 32 tons of gravel delivered!! That's something you can't say every day. lol The driveway was pitiful; it was down to basically a dirt track. The guy did a pretty good job of spreading it, but I did end up with more gravel on the house end, and I really needed it more on the road end. Oh well! Now we get to go out there with rakes and spread it around a bit. Good thing it's a beautiful day!

I'll have to post pics later. I have a few of when they were delivering the loafing sheds, too.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-03-07 at 9:05am.
Old 2013-03-07, 10:07am
Temptress

I had a suspicion that it was at MSU-B. My husband retired from there a few years ago (from the Philosophy department). They have a wonderful library and staff there and it would be a great place to work! I hope you get it!
Yep, that is a heap lot of gravel! Guess it will keep you busy for awhile! At least it is winter so there are no critters in it. We've had volunteer rattlesnakes and bull snakes show up with the gravel a time or two. I hate that.
Old 2013-03-07, 6:49pm
It's about having fun!

I've been checking in on this thread, it's so fun to read about your adventures! Best of luck with everything!!! Can't wait to see more pictures!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2013-03-09, 7:11pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
I had a suspicion that it was at MSU-B. My husband retired from there a few years ago (from the Philosophy department). They have a wonderful library and staff there and it would be a great place to work! I hope you get it!
Yep, that is a heap lot of gravel! Guess it will keep you busy for awhile! At least it is winter so there are no critters in it. We've had volunteer rattlesnakes and bull snakes show up with the gravel a time or two. I hate that.
Yep, everyone was really nice. The library is really nice too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Yikes! I'm really glad there weren't any snakes in it! Especially rattlesnakes. O.O

The driveway is 440 feet long, so I knew that I was going to need a lot of gravel. 32 tons was the most that the trucks could carry. Luckily, gravel is surprisingly cheap! Of course, I had to pick some rose quartz pieces out of it. There were some pretty rocks in with the mix.

I'm so tickled at how nice the driveway looks now! I never thought I would get such a kick out of a gravel driveway!

-Patti
Old 2013-03-09, 7:32pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonibird View Post
I've been checking in on this thread, it's so fun to read about your adventures! Best of luck with everything!!! Can't wait to see more pictures!
Thanks! I'm working on some pics right now.

I don't feel very interesting, but I was so excited about the new place (and especially the glass shack) that I couldn't help myself.

-Patti
Old 2013-03-09, 7:48pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I love gravel driveways . They look so much more inviting than concrete.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2013-03-09, 8:55pm
They see me rollin'...

I have to agree! Plus I almost got stuck in the mud once. I feel very secure driving on the gravel.

Here are some photos, finally! I've been having trouble with my regular camera battery not holding a charge, so I've been using my iPhone. Keep in mind that the iPhone makes everything look farther away and smaller than it really is.

I think this is called Castle Butte. It is across the highway from us, behind Pompey's Pillar. It's really beautiful over there!

This is a photo of last Sunday's storm before it hit. We were on the way to the home show.

This was at home, right after the storm blew over. The sky was this crazy turquoise blue, plus the sun was setting so the clouds were pink. It looked amazing!!

Delivering one of the loafing sheds for the horses:

The gravel truck is here! (He barely made it in the driveway)

Here part of the driveway is done. It looked dark because there was sand in it, but the sand sifted out after it was driven on a bit, and now the driveway is nice and light gray.

BTW, I think that tree is very cool!

My new mailbox! I had to jury-rig it because the mailbox didn't fit the top of the post where it was supposed to be attached. I had to make another trip into town for scrap wood and screws. We might paint the mailbox with flames or something in the future.

The mailbox from the other side, showing the nice, quiet road!

Ye Olde Homestead:

And lastly, Mirage and Odie when we were living in the RV. Odie is on the right. He's about 9 months old now and getting really big!

Phew!

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-03-09 at 9:05pm. Reason: typos
Old 2013-03-09, 9:10pm
They see me rollin'...

Hehe, when I was digging the hole for the mailbox? I had to dig the dang hole 3 times, because I kept putting it too close to the road. I had to stand on the edge of the irrigation ditch to dig, and of course one time the shovel gave way suddenly and I did a face plant. Almost fell in the ditch.

The horses across the road were all staring at me, probably highly amused at the crazy lady falling on her face. lol

I wonder what the neighbors think of all this. The previous owners lived there for 35 years. I'm sure everyone knew them.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-03-09 at 9:12pm.
Old 2013-03-09, 9:36pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would love to have that much land - perhaps a few more trees though

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2013-03-09, 9:42pm
They see me rollin'...

Well, it's not as big as it looks! The iPhone really makes it look huge. Plus part of the pasture belongs to our neighbor to the South. It's 10 acres.

I agree on the trees! We brought 3 curly willows from Missouri that I rooted from our old curly willow tree that bit the dust. Apparently willow trees do well here? We're still debating about where to plant them.

I also want some fir trees somewhere. Maybe on the northwest corner as a wind break?

I need me some trees!

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-03-09 at 9:43pm. Reason: directionally challenged
Old 2013-03-10, 8:37am
Loving learning

Beautiful pictures! I admit I was confused by the beach sand, until I realized it was probably snow ;D
I keep forgetting to go look up what a loafing shed is, maybe for the horses to go for shelter?
Old 2013-03-10, 10:19am
They see me rollin'...

lol Yes, there have been bits of leftover snow lying around. It's all gone now. We are having a heat wave! It's going to be in the 50's and 60's for the next week. Wow!

Yes, sorry. Loafing sheds are for the horses to loaf around in. They will serve as a wind break and give them shade in the summer. It is a hay field, hence no trees... There are plenty of trees on the neighbor's land that I can look at, but only the one on our section. I theoretically could plant some trees in the horse pasture, but they horses would just eat the bark or trample them. They will chew on the bark even if they are not hungry, out of boredom or whatever.

Sigh. So happy this morning. Must be the caffeine.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-03-10 at 12:56pm.
Old 2013-03-10, 10:34am
Loving learning

So you'd have to plant them just outside the fence and let the branches overhang the pasture? Just explain to the horses that it's to their benefit not to eat the tress!
Old 2013-03-10, 10:50am
They see me rollin'...

Like they would listen to me! Actually you can put a cage or netting around the trunks, but that works better with established trees. It seems like they would just trample seedlings.

Unfortunately outside of the fence would be on the neighbor's land. I'm sure I can find a spot out of the way to plant some trees.

I was poking around the internet one day and found a state website where they have native trees for sale. Homeowners with 10+ acres have priority. There are so many different kinds, though!

-Patti
Old 2013-03-10, 11:19am
Loving learning

I'm sure you'll figure out something, maybe temporarily fence off a corner you can put a few in to get going or something, and how great that you found some native possibilities!
Old 2013-03-10, 12:50pm
They see me rollin'...

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that! Good idea.

-Patti
Old 2013-03-10, 2:00pm
Temptress

Hi Patti,
Can you share the website with me? I need something to replace the Russian Olives we keep ripping out. And to replace the ones the beavers were getting for awhile there.
Old 2013-03-11, 5:49pm
They see me rollin'...

Sure! I was going off of memory...so owners with 10+ acres get preference up to March 1st. Oops. And seedlings come in bundles. But here it is:

https://app.mt.gov/cgi-bin/nursery/index.cgi

The fencing guy started on the fencing today! He also used his skidsteer to spread out the rest of the gravel for me. We have 4 posts already! Also bought our first hay. And the fencing guy is going to fix up a gravel pad for the glass shack for me, since he already has his equipment here.

-Patti
Old 2013-03-16, 5:43pm
They see me rollin'...

So I'm feeling a little stressed! I think the shed may be finished on Monday; at least that was the target date. I don't have a gravel pad for it yet. I spoke with one local guy (Darren; his father is a neighbor of mine and is the same farmer who cuts the hay) who could do it, but it's expensive ($500; $200 of it is just to get his machinery up to our place).

The guy who is working on our horse fencing could do it but he is very, very busy. Darren said that he already spoke with Rance (the fencing guy) and that Rance was going to do it. But the fencing isn't finished and Rance has been working very hard on that. Also, he has been busy giving quotes to other people who are waiting to have work done. I hate to even ask him if he has time.

I'm thinking of calling the gravel place and ordering a few tons of gravel and just doing it myself.

However, the original guy (Darren) said that if he did it, he would peel the sod first and then lay down the gravel. Do you all think that that is really necessary? I don't have any way to peel the sod myself; he was going to use heavy machinery of some sort. But I certainly could order the gravel, have it delivered to the shed spot and spread it/even it out myself.

The ground there has a slight slope. It seems like the gravel would be enough to even it out, but what if I'm wrong? I don't want to have a crooked shed.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-03-16 at 5:53pm.
Old 2013-03-16, 5:49pm
They see me rollin'...

BTW, if I just order the gravel and have it delivered, it will probably cost around 1/2 of what Darren quoted me, or even less. I'm guessing around $200 ($50 for gravel, $150 deliver fee). I just hate to bug him about it, but I can't keep the shed people waiting too long!

BTW, I was just going to get cheap vinyl flooring that comes on a 12' roll. But when we moved into the house, voila! There are 16 boxes of new 12" tiles in the hall closet! They are left over from tiling the kitchen and bathroom. I'll save some for possible future projects, but I don't see why I couldn't use some in the shed. I think I'll put tile in the end where the torch will be, and do the rest in vinyl. It will be more flameproof and save a few bucks.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-03-16 at 5:52pm.
Old 2013-03-16, 6:02pm
They see me rollin'...

BTW, I managed to break our brand new wheelbarrow. We were moving hay bales out of the horse trailer using the wheelbarrow. They weigh 75 lbs. Well, one was off-center and started to tip over. I tried to wrestle it straight and snapped the handle clean in half. Oops.

-Patti
Old 2013-03-17, 7:49am
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicfire View Post
Apparently willow trees do well here? We're still debating about where to plant them.
NOT anywhere close to the drainfield, septic, or well!
Old 2013-03-19, 10:07am
They see me rollin'...

Don't worry, I'll be avoiding those areas for sure!

We got gravel today! Rance and I looked at the shed site and he thought just putting down a few inches of gravel would be ok. He is going to spread it out and level it for me, since he still has his skidsteer here. It was delivered first thing this morning (I managed to spring out of bed just a few minutes before it got here!) and there was some left over which he spread on the end of the driveway that didn't get enough gravel last time.

We moved the horses home yesterday!! The silly dogs barked their heads off at them for a couple of hours. They had never seen horses before. I've already noticed the neighbors checking them out. But we're getting used to everyone slowing down as they drive by.

I think I may actually have a shed in a day or two!! Woohoo!

-Patti
Old 2013-03-19, 10:11am
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
NOT anywhere close to the drainfield, septic, or well!
It's tricky, because we have 3 wells! The septic is in front of the house somewhere (we haven't been able to find it!) in the hay field, so obviously I wouldn't plant them there. I also don't want to plant them too close to the irrigation system on the east side. I think I'd be safe planting them at the north end of the property, along the fence line. I could even end up with some shade behind the shed and in the backyard area.

-Patti
Old 2013-03-19, 6:06pm

Willow tree roots travel a long distance to find water. I was told by our well man and the nursery said no Willows , Elms . You want trees that have roots that go straight down not out. Or you will have a mess with pipes and drain fields for septic tank.
We live in the country side too. Have well water, septic tank too.
Congrats on the new place. Love seeing it all. Thanks for sharing.
Janet
Old 2013-03-19, 8:33pm
They see me rollin'...

Hmmm. Well, if I put the willows on the north east edge of the property they would be a long way away from the wells and septic. I'm hoping that would work.

I rooted them from our curly willow that we used to have in St. Louis. That tree was very dear to me, but it got too much damage from a couple of bad storms and had to be taken down. I didn't think the cuttings would live, but they did. I just hope they survive the trip, being stored and then planted in a dry climate.

-Patti
Old 2013-03-26, 6:36pm
They see me rollin'...

Default I haz a shed!

The future glass shack arrived yesterday!

I ended up with a LOT of gravel in that spot...the guy tried to put 2/3 of the gravel there, but didn't hear me when I yelled "stop", so the gravel that was meant for the driveway ended up there too. So when the shed delivery guy drove up on the gravel pad the whole truck wobbled and I thought it might tip over! eek! But it didn't, and after that everything went just fine.

I love it!! It's like the tardis, it really looks bigger on the inside than on the outside.

Well, if you saw the baby animal thread in the bathroom yesterday, you already know that we got 7 chicks last Thursday! Long story, but I didn't realize that 2 of the chicks I picked out were roosters. Oops. I will have to rehome those eventually. Also, we are pretty convinced that one of the other females is actually a male. So to make up for it, we decided to get 3 or 4 more females/pullets.

Well, little chicks are pretty hard to resist! We went to Shipton's today and they had some really nice varieties that they didn't have at Tractor Supply. We ended up with 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Black Sex Link and 2 Mille Fleurs. These are the new chickies:

Here are some individual close-ups:

Buffy the bug slayer (Buff Orpington):

Barred Rock:

The Mille Fleurs (they are tiny):

And Smaug, the Black Sex Link:

From the original 7:

We think this is a Cochin:

An Ameraucana (aka Easter Egger):

Gold Sex Link female:

Gold Sex Link male:

I'm a little worried about one of the Mille Fleurs. One of them had a bad case of pasty butt. I had her sit in a bowl of warm water and was able to soak it off, but I will have to keep an eye on them.

Mille Fleurs are small, and we got them so that the Cochin (who is also small) will have some small friends to hang around with. Plus they are really beautiful when they are grown, so they say!

Anyway, I've wanted chickens for years but they weren't allowed in our subdivision. This is a dream come true for me.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-03-26 at 7:20pm.