LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-10-22, 12:35am
yukue fumei

Now go back and with a shear, clip the chin dot(If you feel more comfortable just making a hanging dot, please do so. I like the straight edge the shear gives the mouth, but there are certainly easier ways to get the same results.

Now, take your blunt end tweezers and use it to flip the hanging dot back up to form the mouth. Flatten the front, and pinch the chin to make a nice shape.

Nowusing the stringer that you pulled earlier, draw the eye lid over the eye ball. Top lid first. a short up and over and then a curvy lower lid. try to make sure to tuck the edge if the lower lid under the top lid. Use your pointed end tweezer to push it in if you can't do it by drawing

Now go back and delineate the cheek and jaw muscles. Notice that I switched the punty to under the jaw. I was having trouble drawing the left side of the horse. This is my attempt to alleviate this.Next time I would probably punty both sides and sculpt the eyes before moving on to the nose and chin. That way I can flip it to the left and right side with ease and have a better time sculpting the left side of the horse. Attach this punty very loosely and don't push too hard or it will pop off. If you melt it on too hard, it won't come off and will cause problems later.

WOOHOO! You're done with the head, now put it in the kiln as you get ready for the neck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nagibeads; 2007-10-22 at 6:20am.
Old 2007-10-22, 12:47am
yukue fumei

Neck!
You need
a mandrel
graphite paddle and marver
fire retardant cloth(if you get kiln dust in your kiln)
Blunt end tweezers

ok-melt some clear onto the mandrel. Your size should be a little longer than the head. (I had some left over T-78 left on the rod and that is the color you see on the left of the mandrel)

add color and marver into a long cone shape

take your graphite paddle and mash gently down, making a lopsided rounded triangle. the extra sided part will be the front of the neck. Here I need to add more to the right side....it is too thin and the bead will crack if I keep it like this.

take your blunt end tweezers and form the neck muscles one at a time. Don't push down too hard....you want to keep clear of the mandrel.

Pinch the top with blunt end tweezers to create the crest of the neck.(The top of the neck is fatty and in some male horses it is really prominent)

OK-here I went back and added more to that right side so I will be safe. If I was thinking ahead, I would have made it mane color!

nagi

Last edited by nagibeads; 2007-10-22 at 5:54am.
Old 2007-10-22, 12:56am
yukue fumei

Now flip the neck so the front is facing up and take that head out of the kiln. If there is kiln dust on it, take a flame retardant cloth and wipe it off(don't spend too much time wiping or it will cool off your piece too much). Hold it close to your neck and look for placement. then heat between each side and join the two together! Since your punty(the lose on that was holding the head) is very loose, a light rap on it will pop it right off. Melt the punty scar smooth.

Add the mane..

next add large dots for the ears. add extra for insurance.

ok. The rest I have to explain. take the tweezers and flatten the ear cones gently front to back. Then quickly heat the tip and pull off the excess so the motion creates a nice shaped tip to the ear.
Then you are done! If you want to do embellishments proceed with care--Insurance heat like crazy! And Good Luck!!!!

nagi

Last edited by nagibeads; 2007-10-22 at 6:27am.
Old 2007-10-22, 2:17am
Gimme that silver glass!

Wow, that is one gorgeous horse head!!!
Old 2007-10-22, 2:31am
First bead: 2007-04-28

Wauw! I think this one might be out of my league... I'm deffinitely not that skilled yet....
Beautiful!!!

Ann
Old 2007-10-22, 2:44am
Does that shed?

Wow that is amazing! The funny thing is I tried to do a horse head yesterday before you posted your tut. I have a lovely little cartoon horsey. Hubby said that if I had done it backwards I might just get the head, instead of the back end. lol. I am going to try your tut, its over my skill level now but hey if you don't try you never learn eh? Thank you so much .
Old 2007-10-22, 4:35am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

Dang, that is an amazing bead and tutorial. Beautiful creature..
Old 2007-10-22, 6:00am
yukue fumei

Thanks so much everyone!
If you do try it, please post your results here--I would love to see them!

nagi

Old 2007-10-22, 6:07am
Bead Imp

Incredible! Thank you so much for the tut! I've been looking for one for so long. Now to PPP. Thank you!!!

Old 2007-10-22, 6:12am
yukue fumei

Thanks Vicki!
best of luck--please post your results here--I would love to see!
It would help me see if there are trouble areas in the tut that I need to elaborate on or fix to make it easier.

nagi

Old 2007-10-22, 10:40am

Nagi. That is a wonderful tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to do it!!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-10-22, 11:10am
yukue fumei

you're welcome Paula!
Thanks for taking a look

nagi

Old 2007-10-22, 12:21pm
Glass my new Obsession

WooHoo Nagi!Awesome job

Old 2007-10-22, 12:49pm
yukue fumei

Thank you!

nagi

Old 2007-10-26, 11:53am
Glass my new Obsession

Gonna try this again today.My 1st attempts were not so good LOL!

Old 2007-10-26, 12:12pm
yukue fumei

Good Luck Tina! I'll keep my fingers crossed!
If there is any part that's causing a problem, please post and I will try and figure out something

nagi

Old 2007-10-26, 2:46pm

Wow! I am so excited to try this!! Thank you for doing this tut. Your horse came out beautiful. I tried one without the tut the other night and I think this will help alot.
Peace,
Grady
Old 2007-10-26, 10:55pm
yukue fumei

Thanks Grady!

I would love to see your results!

nagi

Old 2007-10-26, 11:03pm
Corgi Cult Member

Amazing tutorial and absolutely beautiful horse!!

Old 2007-10-27, 8:25am
yukue fumei

Thanks Kathy!!

nagi

Old 2007-11-06, 4:15pm
Glass my new Obsession

Gonna try to do this as one piece instead of 2.I keep
exploding the head when I try to attach it to the neck.
I am introducing it gradually to the flame but I keep cracking them.

Old 2007-11-07, 11:34am
yukue fumei

If that doesn't work, try raising the temp of your kiln to 1050F when you are sculpting and lower the temp for annealing. Make sure the base isn't a soft color like white or it will slump.
Another thing to try would be to turn off the O2 on your torch when introducing your horse head to the flame. Carbonize it and then slowly introduce the O2 back in. All the carbon will burn off and that pure propane flame will have gently brought your bead up to temp.
best of luck!!!

nagi

Old 2007-11-24, 8:04am
Glass my new Obsession

Gonna try again today!

Old 2007-11-29, 1:40pm
2008 About Time !

totally amazing tutorial - I have alwasy wanted to make a horse head - your tut is wonderful

Old 2008-01-09, 12:02pm
yukue fumei

Thanks so much Deborah!
sorry for the late response....
HunnyBunny...how did it go?

nagi

Old 2008-01-09, 1:00pm
Go with the flow

wow Nagi thats absolutely breathtaking work , it must have taken you ages to put this tut up , great work ,im going to have to try this now but will it be more difficult with soft glass ?
Old 2008-01-09, 8:55pm
A Splash o' Glass

Excellent tut Denise! I can't wait to try this out. Your's is gorgeous. If I can do only half as good to begin with, I'd be pleased.

Thanks so much,
Barbara

Old 2008-01-11, 3:19pm
Glass my new Obsession

Getting there slowly
Tina

Old 2008-01-11, 4:04pm
Chrissy

Nagi I used your tut to make two horses and it was so easy to follow here are my 1st and 2nd attempts.

Thanks for posting!!!

Old 2008-01-12, 9:36am
yukue fumei

OMG!!!
WOOHOOOO!!!
Congratulations Chrissy! They are Gorgeous!! WOW!!

nagi