Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-06-09, 6:09pm
In spite of it all!

OMG Maggie! Looks real good! I need to make a trip over there now for sure!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-06-09, 8:16pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Lovely! I think we're going on vacation in the middle of July (camping, hopefully near the coast) So it depends on what weekend.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-06-10, 7:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetchikanSculptor View Post
OMG Maggie! Looks real good! I need to make a trip over there now for sure!
Please do Ruth, I'd love to see you.
If you are making the trip to Portland for GAS maybe you could stop by then???
Just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Lovely! I think we're going on vacation in the middle of July (camping, hopefully near the coast) So it depends on what weekend.

Teague
Not really sure when we are going to have the studio warming party, at this rate (lookng at my calendar), it's looking like it might not be until August!

Old 2008-06-10, 7:11am
In spite of it all!

I will be going to GAS but that is also the time I will be going to visit Leslie and Chuck... Crazywoman in the Denver area right after... leaving form Portland. We will be working on the big project at that time... Would love to talk with you about that again if you want.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2008-06-10, 7:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetchikanSculptor View Post
I will be going to GAS but that is also the time I will be going to visit Leslie and Chuck... Crazywoman in the Denver area right after... leaving form Portland. We will be working on the big project at that time... Would love to talk with you about that again if you want.
Are you driving your rig to Denver?
Sending you a PM.

Old 2008-06-12, 4:29am

FABULOUS! Love all the windows! Can't wait to see it up close.
ginny
Old 2008-06-12, 12:10pm
In spite of it all!

OK, ready for new pictures now. Post-em up baby!

Old 2008-06-14, 8:12pm

The workbench was delivered today and the granite top installed!
The rest of the countertop is going to be finished with the same black galaxy granite, using 12 x 12 tiles, not slab.

Notice the glass storage?

The cabinet on the far right is movable and holds a portable parts washer (it's kind of like a dry sink), I got the idea for the parts washer after seeing the one Ruth (KetchikanSculptor) has in her studio.
Thanks Ruth!

I haven’t been at the torch since April, when I took a class with Tink!
I'm chomping at the bit to get back on the torch!
I hope I remember how...
Attached Images

Last edited by Elleth; 2008-06-16 at 8:30am.
Old 2008-06-14, 8:14pm

Oh my! It is coming along and looks so beautiful
Old 2008-06-17, 9:30pm
on hiatus...

Wow, looks awesome!! .. just noticed that your top has a laminated edge..now that's really classy!!

Just love the pictures that you've posted, everything is beautiful..
Old 2008-06-17, 10:42pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Pretty!

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-06-20, 9:12am

The electrician is coming today (already an hour late...) to install the track lights, outlets, switches, etc. Unfortunately the power company wont be hooking the new service up until Monday.

I thought I would post a couple of pictures while I wait.

I've been staining the trim all week, using a red cherry stain, the color is rich and yummy and looks great with the paint job!
Attached Images

Last edited by Elleth; 2008-06-20 at 9:15am.
Old 2008-06-20, 9:58am
Glass-aholic

I could seriously live in that!!! it is so pretty!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-06-21, 10:06am
Just me

Maggie,
It's coming along beautifully. You are going to have so much fun in there, I bet you'll practically be living in your studio when it's done! What I wouldn't give to have a lovely place to create like that. I can't wait to see the pictures of it completed and stocked up!

<------me happy for you but envious at the same time.

Old 2008-06-21, 10:45am
Martyrs don't bitch.

It's beautiful! I think it needs bunk beads. You know so more people can visit.

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-06-21, 12:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
It's beautiful! I think it needs bunk beads. You know so more people can visit.
I just told DH that we need to build a bunk house next so that I can host flameworkers retreats. He thought I was serious, you should have seen the look on his face!

Actually, maybe that's not such a bad idea....hmmmmm....

Last edited by Elleth; 2008-06-21 at 12:16pm.
Old 2008-06-21, 1:28pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Yeah! Who needs a regular house? How many torches do you think you could fit in there? I have two, I just need to get quick connects for them.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-06-21, 7:28pm

Wow. I haven't checked on the progress. But I'll say it again, that view is to die for. Are you sure you can't get him to install an outhouse? All you need is a fridge and a futon. You won't need the trailer. When you do build your house it'll be lovely on that spot.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-06-23, 2:50am

Curious to see the final fishined studio, and the view?

Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[
Old 2008-06-23, 8:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertracey View Post
All you need is a fridge and a futon. You won't need the trailer.
You mean like this?
The fridge is on it's way...

The power company is scheduled to be here today, they are going to install the new service; which means the studio will be powered up by the end of the day!

Old 2008-06-23, 9:44am
Glass-aholic

I call shotgun!!!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-06-23, 7:37pm
In spite of it all!

Oh hey Maggie... that looks great! Can't wait to see it in person! Want to schedule a demo?

Old 2008-07-05, 1:46pm

2 weeks ago work on the studio came to a screeching halt...

My good friend and neighbor Barb found out that she had / has a cancerous lesion on her c2 vertebrae and was immediately scheduled for surgery. She and her husband have a goat farm and I volunteered to take it over while they deal with this. Today some folks came to relive me for the weekend so that I could get back to my life for a couple of days. I decided instead of mowing, laundry, vacuuming or any of the other countless things that haven’t gotten done in the last two weeks I would fire up my torch and play!

The ventilations system isn't in so I set up the torch in front of the window and will use a box fan for now.

I'm happy I get to play with my torch today, but it's with a heavy heart, if you could include Barb in your prayers it would be appreciated.

Last edited by Elleth; 2008-07-05 at 2:28pm.
Old 2008-07-05, 7:01pm
I speak Murrini!

I'm saying a prayer for your friend right now...!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-05, 7:44pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
I'm saying a prayer for your friend right now...!
Me too....

Hugs, Dawn

Old 2008-07-06, 3:42am

I will also, I have three friends at the moment with cancer. One is terminal, but very active at the moment. I know how you feel. and I myself, battle skin cancer, but that is nothing compared, to what some are going through.And your studio looks so awesome. This has been one of my fav threads, and the pictures I enjoy very much.

Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[

Last edited by firedancer; 2008-07-06 at 3:44am.
Old 2008-07-07, 10:28am

Thanks everyone!

Barb believes it’s the prayers / meditations and positive thoughts from strangers helping to keep her alive. She is not out of the hospital yet, but hopefully will be soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedancer View Post
I will also, I have three friends at the moment with cancer. One is terminal, but very active at the moment. I know how you feel. and I myself, battle skin cancer, but that is nothing compared, to what some are going through.And your studio looks so awesome. This has been one of my fav threads, and the pictures I enjoy very much.
Healing energy going out to you and your friends firedancer, I have one thing to say...CANCER SUCKS!

Posting on the progress of my studio has been fun, I’m glad you’re enjoying it.
I plan to start a blog when construction of the new house begins, that will be fun, scary and frustrating all at the same time (construction not blogging)!

After months of not being on the torch I thought I would jump back in and attempt Sherry Bellamy’s chaos tutorial; it was chaos all right…but not in the way I intended!
Talk about a charred mess…

And I am having kiln issues, I can’t seem to get the programming correct. The beads coming out of the kiln have marks on them where they either touch the bottom of the kiln or each other.
I may ask for help in the Tips forum later.

Today I am going to stain baseboards and crown molding for the studio, I really need to get er’ done!

Enjoy the day everyone!

Here is a photo I took of Barb at Christmas time last year...

Last edited by Elleth; 2008-07-07 at 7:53pm.
Old 2008-07-07, 1:47pm
In spite of it all!

All my prayers will go to your friend today Maggie!

Oh, hey, call me.... there is some stuff I am trying to find and can't seem to locate. Still got my number? lol.... NO, not THAT one! lol

Old 2008-07-07, 6:45pm

I suggest a hammock for sleeping in your studio! It's looking wonderful! I'm sending positive vibes to your neighbor. You're wonderful for taking care of her animals, etc. for her. It looks like your kiln has the Bartlett 3key controller that mine also has. The people at Bartlett Controls are very helpful over the phone, I've called them more than once, as I was very confused. (don't be ashamed, it happens!) The support person walked me thru it....Also if you got marks on what you had in your kiln, it's probably running hotter, than what the temp shows....I had to test fire mine using a yellow rod, suspended between two rod rests....if the yellow rod slumps in the center, it's too hot. (my kiln runs aprox 100F hotter, I learned that from 2 test firings of the yellow rod, so yep, it's a good thing to do before you make any great beads & anneal those pups in there!)
All the best,
ginger
Old 2008-07-09, 10:41am

Good news...Barb is home from the hospital!
No more goat tending for me, except for the part where the billy goat charges me and I fall into the electric fence , it's been fun!

Thanks for the tip on temp testing my kiln ginger, I haven’t had a chance to give it a try, maybe later today I will. My controller is an Orton, not Bartlett; hopefully they have good tech service too.

I'm STILL staining woodwork, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I decided to stain the wood, talk about a long messy process...ugh! Now I see why people paint theirs, but I must say I really like the way it's turning out!

Quote:
I suggest a hammock for sleeping in your studio!
The hammock will be outside between two big trees where I plan to take many long naps...