No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-04-24, 8:09am
She's Back & Burnin'

Default Cluttered??

Does your torch area get totally cluttered with rods, stringers, twisties...???

How bad does it really get before you say enough is enough? Or will you actually tell anyone?

Me?

Sara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-04-24, 9:17am
BeadsonCypress

Since I moved out to my husband's "place" (our pole barn) I have had to work neat. So everyother time I torch I clean and get re-organized. It helps because there are 3 kinds of glass (90, 96 and 104) NONE of which are compatible with each other, so it keeps me from making junk....

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2008-04-24, 9:20am

Mine's a few inches thick with stuff... I'm trying to make sure JUST using what's on my work surface... That idea is lasting an embarrassingly long time, and oh my what a variety of colors I have there...

About once a year I clean it out... I actually got rid of some of what was left, it hurt. Tiny stringer bits, frit bits, stuff just not worth sorting through for useable bits, even in my frugal mindset...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-04-24, 9:37am

If its not as clean as can be before I start I have to clean it. I need every stringer labeled and put away where it belongs. If a stringer isn't labeled I won't use it and it gets crushed and mixed into the "mixed color" frit blend (which is always changing) My labels need to say company, color number, color name, date bought. stringers have to have date they were pulled on them. shorts need to have the labels cleaned off and be melted onto another rod of the same batch. These are just some of my personal needs. If frit or powder spills, while I am working I feel the need to stop and clean up the mess before I can do anything else.

Rob.
Old 2008-04-24, 9:42am
I'll get there!

I torch on the porch (hey, that rhymes) so in the wintertime, I'm pretty cluttered, since a) my daughter doesnt come out there cause of the cold weather , and b) I dont want to spend to much time out there because of the cold weather (I torch when its -10 centigrade, let me tell you, you've never known shocky glass until u tried that)
Now that its getting warmer, I'm gonna have too get a bit neater, or else my daughet will be eating frit and sucking on mandrels before you know it...
Old 2008-04-24, 9:53am
Detail G-Mama!

Need I say more? I just took this a minute ago.
Attached Images

Old 2008-04-24, 12:01pm
CindyLynneGlass

ACK!! can I come clean that up for you Anne?! LOL!!

Hmmm I wonder if I could get past my anal tendencies and not clean up before every session.... would that help or hinder my creativity?

Maybe I should try it once?!

Old 2008-04-24, 12:02pm

That looks like my normal workstation..... Right now I just wish I had a workstation!

Neatness Stifles Creativity is my Moto!!!!

Cindy- I just saw your post after I posted.....LOL.....

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]

Last edited by Dasi; 2008-04-24 at 12:04pm. Reason: did not see Cindy's post yet
Old 2008-04-24, 12:08pm
Detail G-Mama!

Hey I know where most everything is at least! I will admit though it does need to be cleaned up! Maybe I'll find my muse under all of it!

Old 2008-04-24, 2:55pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Anne,

I wish my work area looked like yours. You are so organized. I can't even see the stainless steel work area.

Sara

Old 2008-04-24, 2:57pm
Detail G-Mama!

Bwahahaha! Who want to look at steel when I have all this color around me!

Old 2008-04-25, 8:30am

Hello!
What is the name of that elbow rest you have to mount your torch and where can i find one?
Thanks
Julie
Old 2008-04-25, 8:55am
Sheryll

It's called a creation station, Julie. Can't remember the maker but if you look that up, I'm sure you'll get hits.
Old 2008-04-25, 9:00am
Detail G-Mama!

You can get them at Blue Moon! Don't forget to get the bean bags for your elbows there also!

Old 2008-04-25, 9:55am

Anne ~ I guess I envy anyone that can find what you are looking for with so many rods, stringers, etc. around. Call me anal..... I clean up after just about every session.... but then again, I may use 2 - 3 different coe's per session...... Can you tell I get bored easily...

Old 2008-04-25, 10:47am

Anne your pic is making me twitch. I'd be a basket case if my area ever got like that.

Rob.
Old 2008-04-25, 11:43am
are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
If its not as clean as can be before I start I have to clean it. I need every stringer labeled and put away where it belongs. If a stringer isn't labeled I won't use it and it gets crushed and mixed into the "mixed color" frit blend (which is always changing) My labels need to say company, color number, color name, date bought. stringers have to have date they were pulled on them. shorts need to have the labels cleaned off and be melted onto another rod of the same batch. These are just some of my personal needs. If frit or powder spills, while I am working I feel the need to stop and clean up the mess before I can do anything else.

Rob.
Hey Rob, do you put expiration dates on your labels, too.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well make beads. jazz
Old 2008-04-25, 12:02pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

My dad had this sign posted in his bike shop for years. When he moved the bike shop to his garage, the sign came too:

"A Creative Mess Is Better Than Tidy Idleness."

I can't think when my space is too clean. Plus I'm still on a little typewriter table so even though it's all cluttered everything has a place on the table. I use a business card to scrape a clear spot under the torch and out from it, so there's a 4" x 9" spot where I can shock and drop hot glass. I can't wait for my studio to be finished!

Kelly

Old 2008-04-25, 12:16pm
Present tense

I used to clean up after each session, but after seeing some pics of some very creative lampworkers' workspaces, I decided to give the messy route a try to see if that improved things for me. After not cleaning up for several months, I started losing tools amid the glass on my desk (pokers are the WORST at hiding), and once I did clean up, I had several rods of clear out that I have no idea what COE they are. And it would never fail that a good glob of opal yellow would pop off and land on a good-sized chunk of Bullseye. I'm too frugal with glass for that - I finally had to clean.

But beyond that, besides not feeling any more creative than before, I just felt oppressed. Now, ya gotta understand that I'm a clutterbug at heart and it's a constant battle in my house, so "clean and tidy and open" spaces are still foreign to me. But I'm back to putting everything away after each session now, and it feels *much* better.

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2008-04-25, 12:37pm

Ok, Anne, I'm not that bad... I'll take a pic tonight.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2008-04-25, 1:18pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Cluttered? Not me.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2008-04-25, 1:20pm
Detail G-Mama!

I lub you Gelly!!!

Old 2008-04-25, 1:24pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Thanks Anne! I don't seem to work well in a sterile invironment.

Can you find my whimzicalities tools and tweezers in that mess???

I can!!!!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2008-04-25, 1:47pm

I'm feeling better about my studio now thanks Gelly and Anne.

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2008-04-25, 2:24pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
I'm feeling better about my studio now thanks Gelly and Anne.

J.
ROLFMAO! No problem Janice. Glad I could be of service

Old 2008-04-25, 2:34pm

LOL - Ok, mine's not a total mess, than, I apologize. I started working at my kitchen table for years until we moved - so I suppose I'm still in the "keep the mess on the cookie tray and off the floor" attitude to keep it away from puppy paws... Pics later, I swear...

~:
~:

~:

Old 2008-04-25, 3:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz's glass View Post
Hey Rob, do you put expiration dates on your labels, too.
nope it doesn't go bad. but when I bought it helps me know what batch it is. I've had wildly different colors of the same glass show up on my door step.

Rob.
Old 2008-04-25, 3:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelly View Post

Cluttered? Not me.

OMG I think I'm getting hives. I would just melt down and all my glass would sit there.
Old 2008-04-25, 3:16pm
Detail G-Mama!

My hubby's with you Rob! I've got a screen dividing off my little area and rarely goes past that anymore! LOL! He likes that screen so he dosen't have to look at the offending area!

Old 2008-04-25, 4:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
OMG I think I'm getting hives. I would just melt down and all my glass would sit there.
Just pack it up and send it here, I'll make it better... (104, at least, I can use boro but it's much, much slower...)

Here's right now - and keep in mind I've been trying to just use what's on my work surface for the past week or so... It's typically a bit of a thicker layer... AND I have an Eeyore fascination with bowls and things to hold things in...

One picture to show that, really, I'm a rank amateur at this clutter thing.

And the second to soothe Rob, because my glass rack is organized, at least.
Attached Images

~:
~:

~: