LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-22, 8:39am
It's about having fun!

Default Are you a member of any jewelry making forum?

The only people that would buy my jewelry would be family and friends. But holy cow I have no talent for it, so I'll try education.
Are there jewelry making forums you like? Maybe I could learn something!
Thanks,
Joni
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-07-22, 9:09am
Mr Brutus RIP

Oh Joni, me too...... LOL I sell earrings once in a while but I would LOVE to learn more.
there is beaducation.com for stuff. Its not a forum like here but it does have LOADS of tutorials free classes and all kinds of stuff.

sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-07-22, 9:44am
Disconnected

I used to go to the B&B forum a looooong time ago
http://cs.jewelrymakingmagazines.com...spx?GroupID=10

Old 2012-07-22, 9:46am

Orchid, through Ganoksin.com. It is a great resource, especially for bench skills.
Old 2012-07-23, 5:24am

www.jewelrylessons.com Particularly good if you want to wirework, but has lots of ideas and tutorials available. I haven't looked at it in ages though...........mmmmmm, something else to distract me from what I should be doing lol.

Old 2012-07-23, 5:52am
Glass-aholic

I bet that would be a great marketing venue if you were active as well. Especially promoting your beads in your , and building relationships with the people who use lampwork beads, hell you could write a few simple jewelry tutorials showcasing a cool bead you make, and have it themed or something and make the beads in your etsy or something.

Good idea !

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-23, 7:12pm
It's about having fun!

Thank you guys! I will check these out!
Oh Jaci, you would have good luck with that, I'm just not there yet! I spend way to much time just messing around!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-07-23, 7:17pm
It's about having fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
Oh Joni, me too...... LOL I sell earrings once in a while but I would LOVE to learn more.
there is beaducation.com for stuff. Its not a forum like here but it does have LOADS of tutorials free classes and all kinds of stuff.

sue
Thank you Sue! I know, I started out with buying beads and making jewelry but I just never found any methods that look nice. Well at first I think so, then in a few days I look back and wonder what I was thinking. ugh I would just like to make a few nice things.
I get hung up on the metal vs silver deal and then I do nothing. I can't afford silver and I love all the metal stuff but so many people say that's cheap looking. I don't know.....
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-07-25, 7:38am
Glass-aholic

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343226328.222652.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  54.2 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343226450.442894.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  51.8 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343226644.108825.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  41.7 KB

Cheep looking?
Don't mind the pic not being the best... It's all I had on my phone for an example.
The bracelets sold for at least $50 each, and the necklace sold for more than $100. It has one focal bead, and 3 small spacer beads. And filler. Fresh water pearls, hematite, and NOT silver metal beads/clasp. None of them look cheap at all, and no one thought they were being ripped off. Customers are generally happy if it's pretty, and you don't lie about what it is. If they ask why I did not use silver, I simply tell them for silver beads the price would be triple what it is here, and the go 'wow' and buy it! With all the not silver jewelry parties out there, and beautiful things, it's very acceptable metal jewelry. Just don't lie about it . I always have sterling ear wires to swap out at cost for the customer, but other than that, I have almost no sterling. When I tell them I have sterling 'at cost', they realize the value is in the design and the GLASS design. It makes them feel better and buy more (usually)

Sterling can look cheap too.. It's in the design think simple elegance...

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-25, 7:44am
Glass-aholic

Ps I think this bracelet i made looks cheap looking(I mean compared to my other designs, the metal beads were just not speaking to me!) I almost took it apart, but I donated it as a raffle prize for a friend, she picked it out. It had so many ladies fighting over it, and one lady ordered 3 just like it for her and her sisters. She was so upset she didn't get it in the raffle. so I guess it was not that cheep looking after all..
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343227347.496252.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  16.1 KB

Old 2012-07-25, 9:36pm

Jaci,
I don't think it looks cheap, just not as interesting as your others.
As my old costume teacher used to say, "Poor taste costs no less."
Old 2012-07-26, 6:50am
Glass-aholic

haha i like that and I agree, not as interesting... but in my head that means not at the same price

Old 2012-07-27, 5:38pm
It's about having fun!

Oh cool Jaci, and you're right about your designs, no they don't look cheap. Thank you for sharing, I love the combinations on the necklaces!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-07-27, 8:40pm

I'm on a few for chainmail, as a hole the community is helpful and supplies are easy to get so the market is supper saturated.
On the other hand it works well when you start mixing materials and barrowing elements from other disciplines.
Mailleartisans.org is a great place if your intrested with literally humdreds of tutorials.
Old 2012-08-03, 4:50pm
It's about having fun!

Thank you! Now that it's the weekend I have time to do some surfing!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-08-04, 5:02pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I found the most help back in the day was Jewelrylessons.com, too. I haven't been there in yonks, but it was great back then.
Jaci, lovely stuff

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-08-04, 10:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
Orchid, through Ganoksin.com. It is a great resource, especially for bench skills.
Here's a second for Ganoksin.com, wonderful community and lots of information.

Nikki

Old 2024-01-23, 1:01am

Darry Ring! It stipulates that you can only buy one diamond ring in your lifetime, it's a very unique jewelry brand and you won't be disappointed!