No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2023-12-04, 3:56pm
J R Hooper

Default Sulfur Yellow?

I make miniature marbles, they range in size from 2-3mm in diameter, and a lot of the colors I have to use are very specific as they have to be able to have enough pigment material in the glass to actually show up that color on that small scale. A lot of the reds, for example, just won't show up as red unless I use a certain type of red. Yellows and oranges are the worst for this, and through the years I've found that only the rough textured yellows and oranges will retain their color at 2mm diameters. I went through my local Glass Supplier today and they were just about wiped out, so I went through several vendors online and I can't seem to find sulfur yellow anywhere. Has it been discontinued or something? Any of you guys know of any vendors that actually have any sulfur yellow in stock right now, or know of a yellow that will work for my minis? I'm panicking as it's one of my basic colors and the only yellow that I know works. It has to be a rough textured yellow like the sulfur yellow, I hope that makes to sense.
Also, which one of you guys is buying up all the clear and white glass at Mountain Glass GRRRR! LOL Is there some kind of shortage going on? I've been out of the loop for about five years to a major spinal injury so maybe I missed something but my god, Mountain Glass looked like a ghost town. No Clear? Gee Whiz!
Old 2023-12-04, 5:33pm
J R Hooper

Hadn't really thought about it, but are there any rough textured yellows and oranges that are chemically similar to moretti's Sulfur Yellow in either Lauscha or Devardi? I don't have a lot of experience with their color pallets but I would guess they would also need to have that same rough texture to work for my minis. I'm in a real bind here if I can't find any, if not I'm going to have to pull out one of my infamous banana boxes full of stringer shorts and scraps to dig out some pieces and that is... let's say less than a desirable option. I hope this makes sense to someone, but the yellows and orange for miniatures have to be a very specific type to work on that scale.
Old 2023-12-05, 1:11pm
Slogan Challenged...

I would think Acid yellow is close. Otherwise perhaps one of the CIMs like goldenrod, although they have a rep for incompatibility sometimes and they are not producing more glass at the moment. Have you tried enamels to supplement the colors you have?

I never thought Mountain glass had the best prices for glass, although I like them for tools and equipment. I use Frantz, Howaco and Nortel glass. You can find what you need with those, and stock up! production is still iffy I guess

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2023-12-05, 2:14pm
J R Hooper

Acid Yellow doesn't work, it does fine on larger pieces but at 2-3mm is just doesn't have enough pigment I guess. All of the yellows and oranges just about have to have that rough texture to work, no idea what that says about the chemistry but I would think it's sulfur based. I also have a fit with reds, there's like two that will show up on that scale, but in thirty years, I never thought to actually remember which ones LOL
I just found ABR Imagery, they had some on hand and I got several pounds of the sulfur yellow, never bought anything from them before but it looked like they had a hell of an inventory.
Anyways, crisis averted for now but I'm always on the look out for rough textured yellows or colors that will work, never thought about enamels, will have to try them out and see. Working on the tiny scale I do sure seems to complicate some things.
Old 2023-12-06, 1:12am
Slogan Challenged...

thanks for te update. Would love to see you in the gallery with some of your work!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2023-12-06, 1:42pm
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
thanks for te update. Would love to see you in the gallery with some of your work!
Done
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321717

Here's the sulfur yellow at 2-3mm...

And here's one of the two reds that I know works on that scale...

One of the reds has a plastic-ish texture to it, wish I could remember which one it was but I'm sure it was a Moretti.
Old 2023-12-07, 9:13am
Slogan Challenged...

hmmm not sure about that red, looks like marachino by CIM to me, but you would know best. Does not ring any bells at all. I've never seen sulfur yellow either though, and I guess it's still around. so that might not mean much LOL I can see they are beautiful colors

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2023-12-07, 10:58am

Just came in here to say I thought that looked like Maraschino also. And I just went and looked at my Effetre color charts and don't even have a sulphur yellow on there. Do you have a number?
Old 2023-12-07, 11:11am
J R Hooper

It's definitely not marachino, I've got some of it and it actually gets transparent at 2-3mm, pretty color but not solid red at this scale. The yellow is definitely sulfur yellow, pretty sure it is moretti, there's one company that did have it on hand...
https://www.abrimagery.com/Moretti-Sulpher-Yellow-Rod
It has a rough texture, the rods from the factory do anyway. Once you melt it, the bumps go away, which I never understood LOL I'm starting to think either it is being discontinued or there's some kind of freaky mandella crap going on, it was one of the basics everybody had in stock for a long time and now it like hen's teeth.

Last edited by jesnbec73; 2023-12-07 at 11:30am.
Old 2023-12-07, 2:52pm

I had Effetre Sulphur Yellow, got it from Flame Dame in 2008. I sold it earlier this year.
Old 2023-12-07, 3:52pm
J R Hooper

Thank God someone else knows it exists, I was starting to worry about my mental well being there for a minute LOL I actually have a few chips and stringers of it laying around, guess I should keep some for posterity just in case. Anybody know if they discontinued it or not, if so that will be the end of yellow in miniature marbles, there isn't another yellow that I know of that will hold its color at 2mm.
There was a a dusty rose or desert rose or something like that back when I first started, it was kind of a pale dusty rose color that would turn gray when it was heated then turn back to that rose color, and it also had that rough texture. It was discontinued years ago and I found a little piece of that in my scraps and was just tickled to death over it, for some reason LOL
Old 2023-12-07, 5:04pm
Slogan Challenged...

You could always ask Mike Frantz at Frantz art glass. He is one of their distributors. I don't know that they are doing a lot of melting for new colors or restock.

As for the sulphur, bright acid yellow is stock number: SKU 591416. It really sounds like their rods too.But I see the stock number for sulphur yellow is SKU: 556416. I'm so confused. How did I not know this was out there? LOL It's a beautiful true yellow

And itf you are sure it is morreti then not much else it could be but Effetre light red.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2023-12-07, 5:49pm
J R Hooper

I've been asking around, Arrow Springs is out as they no longer carry moretti. Mountain Glass is out of it, and unless I pull up some of my old purchase orders, they didn't seem to know what I was walking about LOL
I'll try Frantz... I am on some kind of quest now to find out what happened to this glass. It was absolutely awesome and stayed yellow even in 1-2mm.
Old 2023-12-07, 6:37pm

Nobody carries Moretti. Itís Effetre now. As for the number, Acid and Sulfur yellow are both 416. ABR and some other distributors re-prefix the numbers, but the last three digits should match the Effetre catalog. As for the name, in Italian it is Giallo Zolfo. Zolfo is Italian for Sulfur. Different distributors also assign their own English names, thus Sulfur or Acid. Frantz has it in stock as Bright Acid Yellow. If you call they can probably tell you if the rods are rough or not.
Attached Images

Old 2023-12-07, 7:02pm
J R Hooper

I know about effetre, just a habit I guess but that's the stuff, at least it looks just like it. Thanks for the information, just awesome!
I swear I think Acid Yellow is a different glass though, I could be wrong, and probably am, but it seems like I've bought both and only one of them was rough textured. I'll get a rod of the acid next time I can get some and make sure though. Man I hope it's not been discontinued, it's the only yellow that works. The red is two different ones that work, and I wish to god I had kept notes on them. I have literally several million stringer shorts in several banana boxes, I'll have to go through that and see if I can find which red is the most prevalent in there as those will likely be the ones I need. I'm officially retired but my wife is wanting to learn and I want her to have a complete pallet if I can help it. Thanks guys, this has been a huge help!

Last edited by jesnbec73; 2023-12-07 at 7:05pm.
Old 2023-12-08, 1:31am
Slogan Challenged...

you know, howaco glass has a pretty big selection and they sell by the rod so that might be a good way to get your color samples.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2023-12-22, 10:21pm
Corgi Cult Member

Your red reminds me of Apple Red odd from many years ago. Not all the rods would do the opaque, but those that did were wonderful like the red in your miniatures. I preferred the opaque over the transparent, but can’t remember the difference in the unmelted rods.

Old 2024-01-07, 3:21pm

I see why you’re fussy about colors. Those are beautiful!
Old 2024-01-08, 2:45am
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadbroad View Post
I see why youíre fussy about colors. Those are beautiful!
Thank you. The reds give me a fit on this scale, and it seems like everytime that I find one that works, at least with the effetre, they change it in a few years.