No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-03-24, 8:37pm
Marble Lover

Default Crack in a boro tube

I ordered some boro tubing and it arrived with some slight damage. One tube had about a 4-inch piece on the end cracked off - no big deal, I can fix that one.

The other tube that got damaged is the one I have a question about. The very end of it got damaged and left about a 1-inch crack going down the side of the tube.

I want to fix it without having the crack run down the tube further. What is the best way to do this? By "fix it" I just mean salvage the tube without breaking the whole thing.

Thanks,
-BEP (who is new to tubing)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-03-24, 9:41pm

Score and crack that broken end off. Wet the scored line and then touch it with the end of a hot rod. Should pop right off.
Old 2015-03-25, 3:17am
kinda torching....

Only other option besides what Larry said, is to chase the crack whicvg is just a risky big pain in the ass! lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-03-25, 4:21am
Phill

Is it possible to heat the tube below the crack and then run the heat back toward the crack to heal it and continue to soften it and heal it back to the end?
Old 2015-03-25, 5:39am
hyperT

Default Crack

Warm the tube up very slowly, sometimes it will heal itself. If not, after it is warmed well you can use more heat but not a lot until it heals.
Hit it with more heat for a second or so then remove the heat then hit it again until the crack closes up.
If it weren't on the end I would suggest a slight vacuum like from a water faucet to help keep it pulled together and seal it.

Last edited by hyperT; 2015-03-25 at 5:44am.
Old 2015-03-25, 7:47am

I would like to know the standard temp. to warm up my chipped flower before trying to re-attach my petal in the flame. I guess I'm asking for a standard temp. for garaging in the kiln. I've had trouble with annealing what appears to be a perfect flower (rose). When I remove it from the kiln, a leaf or petal will fall off. Then, when I warm the piece back up to re-attach the petal, It will sometimes fall apart in the flame.
Wonder if I'm making any sense? Has anyone ever experienced this?
Old 2015-03-25, 8:14am
Marble Lover

The end of the tube is jagged and the crack isn't that long so I'm going to go with the score, wet, and heat method mentioned by Larry. I've seen that done and am comfortable giving it a go. I'm only losing a little more than an inch of product and that should give me a clean end to work with.

I'll give it a try soon. I appreciate everyone's input and will keep the other methods in mind as I work more with tubing.

I'm pulling my first points so I can attempt some ornaments. I've watched enough videos and read enough about it - it's time to actually give it a shot.

Thanks, Folks,
-BEP
Old 2015-03-25, 2:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepnewt View Post
The end of the tube is jagged and the crack isn't that long so I'm going to go with the score, wet, and heat method mentioned by Larry. I've seen that done and am comfortable giving it a go. I'm only losing a little more than an inch of product and that should give me a clean end to work with.

I'll give it a try soon. I appreciate everyone's input and will keep the other methods in mind as I work more with tubing.

I'm pulling my first points so I can attempt some ornaments. I've watched enough videos and read enough about it - it's time to actually give it a shot.

Thanks, Folks,
-BEP
Pictures!

Mind if I ask who you bought from? Used to have damage myself until I switched to mountain glass. MGAs packing is the best I have found.
Old 2015-03-25, 2:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lory View Post
I would like to know the standard temp. to warm up my chipped flower before trying to re-attach my petal in the flame. I guess I'm asking for a standard temp. for garaging in the kiln. I've had trouble with annealing what appears to be a perfect flower (rose). When I remove it from the kiln, a leaf or petal will fall off. Then, when I warm the piece back up to re-attach the petal, It will sometimes fall apart in the flame.
Wonder if I'm making any sense? Has anyone ever experienced this?
Not related to this thread really but it sounds like your welds for the petals are not good. Those welds need to be blended in well at a sufficiently high temp so that there are no sharp edges or angles. There must be a smooth profile. I garage everything when I am working at 950 and anneal at 1050.
Old 2015-03-25, 5:29pm
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Pictures!

Mind if I ask who you bought from? Used to have damage myself until I switched to mountain glass. MGAs packing is the best I have found.
I planned on trying tonight, but we have tornados in the area. The Wife put her foot down when I went in the garage to work with glass while the sirens were going off and clouds rotating overhead. Pics as soon as I can.

I got the tubing at TrevsGlass.com. Phyllis noticed on here that I was looking for a small amount of medium-wall tube at an affordable price and worked with me to figure out exactly what I needed. Both ends of the box were smashed up where the carrier must have dropped it pretty hard every chance they got. Based upon the appearance of the box, I was impressed that out of all the tubes, only 2 had small issues. If I buy more, I'll go back to them again. I'll mention the 2 broken tubes at that time and have them pad the ends a little more.

-BEP
Old 2015-03-25, 7:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepnewt View Post
I planned on trying tonight, but we have tornados in the area. The Wife put her foot down when I went in the garage to work with glass while the sirens were going off and clouds rotating overhead. Pics as soon as I can.

I got the tubing at TrevsGlass.com. Phyllis noticed on here that I was looking for a small amount of medium-wall tube at an affordable price and worked with me to figure out exactly what I needed. Both ends of the box were smashed up where the carrier must have dropped it pretty hard every chance they got. Based upon the appearance of the box, I was impressed that out of all the tubes, only 2 had small issues. If I buy more, I'll go back to them again. I'll mention the 2 broken tubes at that time and have them pad the ends a little more.

-BEP
What!?!? Its just a tornado!