Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-09-17, 5:57am
Borovangelist

I like simax usually for my clear. I only bought schott once because I needed a larger size simax doesn't make. Both worked nicely

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2009-09-17, 6:34am
The Venerable Bead

I have some nice sample size frit blends that are fun to play with. make a core base bead in a neutral color like butterscotch or caramel, roll in frit. melt in and encase and volia a pretty bead!

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2009-09-17, 7:20am
Pyromaniac

I like Simax, but I have used Pyrex too

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2009-09-17, 8:59am
ManBearPig

I use Pyrex for 90% of my clear these days...

Old 2009-09-17, 9:09am
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I use Pyrex for 90% of my clear these days...
Who's making Pyrex these days? Is it still Corning or did they sell it off? And where's it made, if you know.

I have a customer that goes all gung ho for American made through and through, but she sort of begrudgingly ignores the Czech made Simax.

Is Kimble still US made?

(sorry to threadjack!)

|
|
Old 2009-09-17, 11:00am
Disconnected

My punty rods are Pyrex and I like the way they melt (fast), so I guess I'll go for Pyrex, then. And all the better if it's US made.
Sold.

Old 2009-09-17, 2:02pm

You guys are all lucky! I WISH I had torch time!!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-09-17, 6:56pm

I thought I had read that Pyrex was now made in China. I'm pretty sure Schott is Germany, Kimble is US, and Simax is The Czech republic.
Old 2009-09-18, 4:43pm
Harold Williams Cooney

Not all Pyrex is made in China or even in Asia; but none of it is made in the US. Sorry.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2009-09-18, 4:53pm
Harold Williams Cooney

Corning started selling off its ownership of the Pyrex brand family almost 20 years ago to raise capital for investment in fiber optic technology.

Some have questioned the soundness of reasoning behind this decision; however, even in the wireless world we all now live in, the future of fiber optics is still bright. To forgive the pun.

Corning formula 7740 is what most general boro lampworkers call Pyrex (although there are dozens of other formulas under the label umbrella Pyrex, most of which are not 33COE), regardless of how many times it may change corporate hands nor how many different nations may pack it into boxes, it is highly unlikely that it will ever be removed from the market. Pyrex is clearly a durable name in glass.

Please add salt to this information, there is a lot of very interesting information on the internet. Corning is a publicly traded company and so people are rather vocal about the decisions the company has and is making.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-05-11, 7:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Who's making Pyrex these days? Is it still Corning or did they sell it off? And where's it made, if you know.

I have a customer that goes all gung ho for American made through and through, but she sort of begrudgingly ignores the Czech made Simax.

Is Kimble still US made?

(sorry to threadjack!)
It absolutely is!
Old 2010-08-20, 11:57am
Disconnected

So, here are my 2nd attempts (the 1rst ones were pathetic). I am not in love yet but quite intrigued. Turns out I am now practically unemployed, which according to Harold is one condition for success. Except, I'd like to buy good glasses and more colors and more oxygen and... and... etc.

For now I'm pretty much at the "just add clear" stage (Black Pearl, yum!) but on my way to where I wanted to go:

Sunray of Trev's, I want to thank you again for what you gave me (shorts and glasses, huge help)

Old 2010-08-21, 11:33pm
Astro Cat

Nice work!
my Scorpion!
Old 2010-08-22, 6:38am
Disconnected

Thanks Dee!

Old 2010-08-23, 10:45am
Glass my new Obsession

I am hoping to play with some boro today