No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-05-05, 11:57am
apt to wander....

Default Transporting Glass to Class...

I'm going to the SGI event later this month and I'm trying to figure out the best way to transport my glass and stuff - I'm driving up in my SUV. I figure for my tools, i've got an old artist/painters apron - i'm going to stich up the pockets to make little slots for the tools and then just roll it up, easy peasy.........but have no idea what the best way will be to transport the glass up there and have it with me at my torch....any ideas?

Melissa
Old 2012-05-05, 12:09pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I use plastic welding rod holders that I get at the local airgas supply place - have also seen them in hardware stores.

They're sturdy cylinders with screw top caps, and many of them are divided into 1/4's on the inside, which is great for separating out colors/stringers/etc, and are just the right height for Effetre rods cut into the standard 1/3's - maybe 13" tall?

If I'm taking a class and just want to have my own colors, I usually haul along two - you can cram a lot of glass in those things.

If I'm teaching the class and have to provide the glass, that's a whole different packing story.

Hope you have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2012-05-05, 12:39pm
Happiness is....

Melissa,
I have a red toolbox that I'll cram a lot of stuff in. and a couple of wine gift boxes, and then put it all in a apple box so it doesn't have too far to roll around..I look for ward to meeting you. Karen

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2012-05-05, 1:23pm

Melissa, try and find a gift wine holder. They have a deep top and a string handle and they are quite sturdy. The bonus is they also look pretty.

Toni
Old 2012-05-05, 2:00pm
apt to wander....

Awesome ideas! I'll definately look for the wine holders and I'm making a trip to the weld shop for more TIG for mandrels so I'll see what they might have. I'm using a lot of Bullseye so i just need to find something long enough for those rods

Melissa
Old 2012-05-05, 2:10pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...per-46477.html

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2012-05-05, 8:45pm

I've saved the round cardboard mailers that I receive glass in sometimes. The bests ones have the plastic end caps , otherwise the one end is taped and then I store them in a craft tote with handles which is just long enough to fit the mailers. They are packed so full nothing ever moves lol, but you could always add any saved bubble wrap.

Tina

Old 2012-05-06, 8:32am
apt to wander....

More great ideas!! (and to think I was at Harbor Freight on Tuesday!!)

Melissa
Old 2012-05-06, 9:06am

I have tried a bunch of stuff, and end up using a tool box. Glass in the bottom, tools on top. I can put more than I can carry in it for sure.

I used to do the rolling crate thing, but it did not really work for me. The more room I have, the more crap I bring.
Old 2012-05-06, 11:14am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I use a length of PVC pipe with a cap glued on one end and a screw thread adapter glued on the other end.
Old 2012-05-06, 3:34pm

If you have the time and know someone who sews, this is pretty popular, if I do say so myself...

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106727

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2012-05-07, 9:45am
apt to wander....

Kathy - I hear you! I don't have much stuff yet - still pretty new to the glass, but what there is of it is growing - and I want to take it all - I have no idea what I'll need! I wonder if I can find a tool box that will fit Bullseye rods?

Cheng (is it really PJ? I'm sorry I don't remember!) I have all that (Or the DH does) except the screw on adaptor - that might be a way to go...I wonder if I can make dividers to put in it to make 4 spaces....

Oh Ms Sue, that is fabulous!! and so easy to see and get to the color you want!!! I sorta can sew, but I don't like to do it.....but I might get motivated to do this!! Thanks for supplying the Tutorial too - very generous of you to make it a free one

Melissa
Old 2012-05-07, 9:51am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Zini,
Yes it is PJ.
It is relatively easy to make dividers and since your DH has the PVC laying around I suspect he is handy enough to make them out of plastic or thin plywood or even cardboard.

Cheng076, PJH, or whatever fits at the moment...lol
Old 2012-05-07, 9:30pm
Mary Lockwood

Melissa, I'm going to SGI too...looking forward to meeting you there.

I'll be transporting my stuff in a big toolbox. My torch and hoses will fit in the bottom of the toolbox and my hand tools will fit in the top tray.

My glass will be in one of Sue's rod carriers. Well, actually she made mine to hold knitting needles. I'll have to take the needles out to fill it with glass.

See you there!
~~Mary

Old 2012-05-09, 11:12am
Somewhat out there!

I was wondering if those tool buckets would work? The 5 gallon pail with the wrap on it with places to carry your tools on the outside and you could than put the rods in the center part, perhaps in cardboard tubes, PVC tube or even paper towel cardboard.
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...51d6826a020647

Julianne
Old 2012-05-12, 5:16am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I use a tool box. one for boro one for soft

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-05-12, 11:39am
apt to wander....

For those of you using toolboxes, Do you just lay your glass inside? do you pad it up in some way, divde it up some way? Just tryng to picture using it?

Melissa
Old 2012-05-12, 1:22pm

What about recycling your empty paper towel cardboard if you don't have far to go and just need to separate the rods a bit?

Barbara
Old 2012-05-12, 3:25pm

Melissa, I bundle mine up in about 1 1/2 lb bundles and use Goody hair ties on each end. I try to bundle them up logically so that I can just grab one and it has most of what I use frequently. And I have a "neutrals" bundle and a transparents/clear bundle. Then I just set them down in there. If you think you are going to jostle it a lot, you could also layer in some bubble wrap.

I usually also take a coffee can to put beside me on the bench and I unwrap a bundle and stick in there so I am not constantly having to dig into the toolbox once I am actually torching.

I tried the buckets too. The handle got on my nerves, always seemed to be in my way. And, they hold too much for me too. It took a few classes and retreats for me to realize that I don't really need 25 lbs of glass to get through a weekend.
Old 2012-06-13, 10:29am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

This is great for tools http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Org...&storeId=10051

or

http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Org...&storeId=10051

and I use this for my glass to travel with. Or teach. One section is opaque, one transparent and the other is for opalino and other special colors. The little ones are for short glass rods or millefiore, foil, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-014026..._bxgy_hi_img_b

Old 2012-06-13, 1:51pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I have to carry my glass around all the time, and I use a knittingneedle case, the ones with a screw on top, I'll see if I can find a picture

Old 2012-06-13, 1:52pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I have a round one but this one will work too

Old 2012-06-13, 3:39pm

Take one of the large buckets from Home Depot or Lowes. Cut lengths of smaller diameter pvc to place inside the bucket. If you use thin diameter pvc you can use multiples to keep your colors or coes seperate.