Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-08-13, 12:15am

Default How do you light your torch when hooked on a oxycon and why?

Hi,

How do you light your torch when hooked on a oxycon. Up to now, I wasn’t really thinking about that since I’m on tanked O2. But now I’m considering switching to a concentrator and I’ve started teaching, so if the question pops up, I want to be able to give my student a trustworthy info.
I’m somewhat puzzled by contradictory info. I’ve red on many websites that you should briefly turn the oxy knob of your torch off and then light the propane. But I’ve also red that when working with an oxycon shouldn’t cut the oxygen flow not even to light the torch, the torch being a surface mix torch.
So does it matter when you have an oxycon ? If it does, which is it and why ?

If you have the info, I’ll be very grateful, for I did a lot of research and could not dig it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-08-13, 1:55am

I just turn oxy down, propane on low and light it, then I adjust it. It doesn't POP or anything so I don't think its doing any harm. I am sure someone will tell me different if necessary.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2009-08-13, 2:25am

when i turn on the cons i go to the torch and put the lighter in front of the torch and slowly open the gas.I have the oxy open at all times.
G.
Old 2009-08-13, 2:31am
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.L.McBead View Post
when i turn on the cons i go to the torch and put the lighter in front of the torch and slowly open the gas.I have the oxy open at all times.
G.
This is how I do it as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-08-13, 2:45am

Thank you all, I was really hoping to get some explanation regarding why you do it one way or the other. If there isn't any, my guess is that it doesn't matter. For instance, I've seen here http://www.generationsglass.com/Oxygen.html and here and here http://www.pyronamix.com/page5.html that you shut down the oxy briefly to light the torch... Kimberly's page is packed with interesting info by the way.
So I just want to make sure that it is safe to do it one way or the other, that the oxycon won't be damage one way or the other, same for the torch.

Old 2009-08-13, 3:02am
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubnavnania View Post
This is how I do it as well.
Me too.

If you are all wrapped up in yourself, you are overdressed.
Old 2009-08-13, 6:40am

When o2cons are hooked up( i have both cons/and tanks) I keep the o2 valves(on the torch) wide open. start the cons let them build up steam(purer o2) after a min or two I close the o2 valve open the the prop valve slightly light with lighter and then open the o2 up and end up with a pretty nice flame. The o2 valve is only closed/restricted for those few seconds to light with. Other than then the o2 valve stays wide open. If I need to dial back o2 I'd use controls on the cons.(never done that yet)
Old 2009-08-13, 6:44am
AKA: Noodlesaurus

my understanding is that it is bad for the sive beds to restrict the flow of O2, so turning off the knob completely would do that. but I also don't like the torch popping when I light it so....... what I do is just turn the O2 way down then light the torch and readjust to a neutral flame.

or
,~Punties, Mandrels,Beads.....GTT Phantom....
Old 2009-08-13, 6:52am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Briefly turning off the oxy knob to light the torch is fine on any oxycon. I never leave mine closed for more than 5 seconds.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-08-13, 7:27am

I have two oxy-cons and a mini cc. ONE of my 2 oxy-cons is tempermental. I can NOT have it on and have the oxy knob on the torch closed or it beeps...

So here is what I do:

1) turn fuel on at tank outside

2) set PA (Pressure adjustment) Screw to 5 psi.

3) come inside and CLOSE the torch OXY knob (which is ALWAYS left OPEN after a torching session. I lean/hang my clicker on the torch oxy knob as a reminder it is open. When I pick up my clicker, I close the oxy knob on the torch.)

4) light my fuel

5) turn on oxy con #1. Carefully watch the flame and when it levels out to where I want it, I turn on oxy con #2. It beeps 3 times and shuts up. Now I adjust the flame where I want it... and gradually turn the oxy cons up til they're topped out.

Shut Off

1) turn off fuel

2) turn off oxy cons - leaving the oxy knob on the torch OPEN

3) shut off the tank at the tank

4) come inside, close oxy knob on torch, turn on fuel and burn out fuel in the line. I do open the oxy knob while I'm burning the fuel out... adjusting the flames so I don't get soot.

5) When fuel burned out, turn off fuel... leave oxy knob on torch open and hang clicker on it

6) Go outdoors and loosen the PAScrew.

Tada.. done.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-08-13, 7:32am
Gentleman of Leisure

Actually you can leave oxygen valve closed (on torch) for a reasonable period of time ... There is a pressure relief valve in oxycon that will release excessive pressure if any builds up.....

Keeping torch valve open while oxycon is running goes back to original design of oxycon.... It is the belief of control board in oxycon that if pressure builds up excessive in unit, that there is a restriction in the output and the PATIENT is not getting oxygen and turns on the alarm....

Keep in mind most of these were medical units and design criteria was a lot different for supplying oxygen to a human being than to a mechanical device (torch) whose lack if oxygen is not exactly life threatening...

Its ok to turn oxygen off at torch and light fuel and adjust fuel to proper yellow flame then open oxygen knob (fully) then to readjust fuel to proper blue flame...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-08-13, 8:14am

Thank you everybody, espacially those who have taken the time to give lots of detailed info. I knew I could count an LE members. Thanks a bunch.
I know some of you will shake your head but I’m still puzzled.
So, with an oxycon :
A) Some of you never close the O2 knob (so it's oxygen first, then propane)
B) Some of you close the O2 to knob just for a couple of seconds to light the torch (so they follow the POOP order, as I’ve always done with my torch hooked on tanks).
But
Nobody is reporting a safety issue with either A or B
Nobody is reporting a damage caused to the oxycon with either A or B
Nobody is reporting a damage caused to the torch with either A or B

So am I right when I draw the conclusion that it simply doesn’t matter in which order you light your torch when hooked to an oxycon ? Or am I missing something ?

Old 2009-08-13, 8:17am
I fart diamonds

I have a holding tank so my start up is a bit different. I turn on my oxycon(s), let it run for a few seconds, shut my oxy valve and let it run for a couple of minutes to build up in the tank. Then I light the propane and slowly open the oxy valve.

Without the holding tank, I turn on the oxycon (oxy knob open) and let it run for a few minutes then close it, light the propane and slowly open the oxy valve.

Old 2009-08-13, 8:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Actually you can leave oxygen valve closed (on torch) for a reasonable period of time ... There is a pressure relief valve in oxycon that will release excessive pressure if any builds up.....

Keeping torch valve open while oxycon is running goes back to original design of oxycon.... It is the belief of control board in oxycon that if pressure builds up excessive in unit, that there is a restriction in the output and the PATIENT is not getting oxygen and turns on the alarm....

Keep in mind most of these were medical units and design criteria was a lot different for supplying oxygen to a human being than to a mechanical device (torch) whose lack if oxygen is not exactly life threatening...

Its ok to turn oxygen off at torch and light fuel and adjust fuel to proper yellow flame then open oxygen knob (fully) then to readjust fuel to proper blue flame...

Dale

Dale,

It's good to know the oxy knob on my torch can be off and not hurt the oxy-con but ONE of my two is tempermental and it will screech if I do. I have developed a way of working my system in a way that I won't set the alarm off on the second oxy con. The first one behaves but that second one? Totally touchy diva!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-08-13, 8:21am

I start the o2 first so it has time to warm up and produce clean o2. o2 valve is wide open. Prop valve closed but pressured from regulator.

This state for 1 to 2 min.

close o2 valve. open prop slightly . light torch. open o2 wide . adjust prop.

melt glass.

when done for day just close the prop valve. then turn off the o2 con power.

leave o2 valve open all the time as o2 is still being released.
Old 2009-08-15, 11:55pm
sorcerer

with surface mix torches there is no good reason to turn the oxy knob off when you light the torch. with a welding torch the gas and oxy mix inside the torch creating an explosive mixture, it is also possible for oxy to get into the gas line and vise versa, however with a surface mix torch these problems are avoided with an oxycon just leave the oxy knob on the torch wide open and just ooen the gas a bit and light your torch, not all oxycons have a pressure relief and while it won't harm the seive beds you can blow seals in the machine.
just remember this isn't a welding torch, it is a surface mix glass working torch, different ball game!
cheers, Bernard
OH and in case you are wondering I have 30 years of full time glass working experience
Old 2009-08-17, 4:07am

Hi Bernard,

Thank you. Well this confirm some of my readings: for instance, in "more than you ever wanted to know about glass beadmaking", Jim Kervin explains why you should open your propane first when using a pre-mix torch.
But since i've red so many things about how you should operate a concentrator, I was not comfortable doing one thing or the other not knowing why I should do it this way or the other.

So thanks again.

Sylvie

Old 2009-08-17, 6:44am
I fart diamonds

I hate the pop you get when you light it with the oxy open. *shivers*

Old 2009-10-05, 9:53am
Carol Bouler Owens

Most of the books I have and the dvds I've seen use the acronym "POOP"; propane, oxy,(on),oxy,propane(off). I have my lighter ready, and open the fuel valve just a little so I don't get the pop.
Old 2009-10-07, 3:29pm

Thanks for starting this thread...I'm curious though - when some of you say fully open the O2 valve on the torch, then adjust the fuel, am I understanding that correctly? If I opened my O2 fully it would get all hissy. To have a neutral flame I don't have my O2 valve open very much. I'm on a Mini cc and 1 oxycon. (and pretty much still a newb)
Judy
Old 2009-10-07, 4:02pm
product of the universe

I don't know about concentrators but i go popo.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.