LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-08-16, 3:31pm

Default Homefill check valve - Any way to find one cheap?

Hi, guys. I've been looking for one of the Homefill check valves, and it looks like I'd have to buy a $170-200 Homefill bottle and take one off of it. Have any of you folks found another valve that is compatible or know of a way to get one cheaper? I've had zero luck with the bottles coming up for sale on Craigslist. Thanks in advance.
Old 2014-08-16, 3:43pm
I fart diamonds

Check valve? or nipple? The check valve is built in to the machine. The nipple comes off the bottle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-08-16, 4:06pm

Zoinks. Well, I think it could be the nipple. I'm afraid I don't have any experience with these machines. I bought the Homefill and whip from Salt City Glass, and their web site states that their supplier of the "check valves" is out of stock and might be for quite some time.
This is where they explain the lack of the check valve. Maybe they are referring to the nipple.
http://saltcityglass.com/products/24...without-gauge/

And here's a document that I ran across that appears would probably be what I need to connect the whip to the Homefill. It suggests this Swagelock adapter:
http://www.industrialzone.com/135320...b-200-1-4.html
That document mentions no check valve, however in my notes I have this check valve as a part to buy:
http://www.shoplet.com/Western-enter...S312CVF4M/spdv

Taking the top off an Invacare bottle sounds nice and simple and won't require dismantling the machine, but would be at least $100 bucks more.
Old 2014-08-17, 7:51am

I have a 10 LPM oxygen concentrator and it supplies my Scorpion torch fairly well, I think. Would it be of any benefit for me to find a home fill unit? The main thing I can think that would benefit is the concentrator makes quite a bit of noise and if I had a tank, I could fill it when I wasn' in the "sweat shop".

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2014-08-17, 8:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
I have a 10 LPM oxygen concentrator and it supplies my Scorpion torch fairly well, I think. Would it be of any benefit for me to find a home fill unit? The main thing I can think that would benefit is the concentrator makes quite a bit of noise and if I had a tank, I could fill it when I wasn' in the "sweat shop".
That is exactly the reason I got a Homefill. Between the noise of the concentrator and the ventilation system, I had to really turn up the music to hear it over all of that.
Old 2014-08-17, 5:30pm

So, where did you get said homefill unit?

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2014-08-17, 5:39pm

Last edited by getdul981; 2014-08-17 at 8:15pm. Reason: dupicated
Old 2014-08-17, 6:11pm
I fart diamonds

Ok, so, you have the transfill hose. You still need to convert your Homefill to work with it.

http://www.fultra.net/_tutorials/HomefillOutput.pdf

You'll need:
1 Swagelok 200-1-4, Parker 2-msc-4n or Duolok D2MC4 (all of these are the same item, just different manufacturers) You can usually find these on Amazon or Ebay for less than $5. Can be brass or steel.

1 high pressure check valve (I get the Parker C400B at Grainger for about $12)

Old 2014-08-17, 8:12pm

That's all great, Shawnett, but for me that's putting the cart before the horse. I need to know where to find a reasonably priced, aka cheap, home fill unit to get strarted.

Old 2014-08-17, 11:04pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
That's all great, Shawnett, but for me that's putting the cart before the horse. I need to know where to find a reasonably priced, aka cheap, home fill unit to get strarted.
I was responding to the OP.

Old 2014-08-18, 6:14am

Thanks, Shawnette! Looks like that $12 part is now about $40 at Grainger! They must be getting popular. Bought both parts on eBay for a total of $26. Thanks so much for the item numbers, Shawnette.

Last edited by CrassGlass; 2014-08-18 at 7:27am.
Old 2014-08-18, 6:19am

Quote:
I have been looking for a cheap one on Craigslist and eBay for months without finding anything. Shawnette is the queen of finding deals, but I'm not so lucky. I finally just ordered one from Salt City Glass. Homefill + concentrator + whip + misc conversion parts + used K tank came to $1250.