LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-12-08, 4:14pm

Default Haven't met a CIM color I don't like except...

Cirrus. I love the softness of this color and kind of pure quality of it in the rod form but for the love of pete I can't get it to look good with anything I've thrown at it. I've tried raised stringer it just seems to disappear, mixed in as organic, again just disappears. I've just been using it as earrings just plain by itself (of course it looks better with ribs in it from the CGroller.)

Anyone done anything exciting with Cirrus? I'd love to see some pictues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-12-08, 4:17pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Nope, it is on my "not to buy list" but I am open to suggestions.

Old 2010-12-08, 4:34pm
Biscuit Lover

I think Kevan liked it to encase some silver glass? Can't recall which one(s).
Old 2010-12-08, 4:49pm
I like to melt things

I have never tried Cirrus, but I've read that it doesn't etch, so if you designs with it on top of a Clear that will, you can have effortless little windows in your bead.

I have some Cirrus frit here that I keep meaning to try that with, but my 'want to try list' is pretty long, so I haven't gotten to it yet.

-
-
Old 2010-12-08, 4:51pm
Ad astra per aspera

I use it as a base and overlay for shards. Make them look like they're floating.

Old 2010-12-08, 5:05pm
state-eternal change

In my working with it, I find that I can strike to make it more milky. I did a commission of some beads with redwood trees on top of a cirrus base, the cirrus evoking the mist that rises off the trees.

Old 2010-12-08, 6:02pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I love it for encasing.

Vivian

-

Old 2010-12-08, 6:20pm
Lampworkaholic!

Encased florals. As the base, not the encasement.

I have a photo somewhere, I will look for it.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2010-12-09 at 9:54pm.
Old 2010-12-08, 6:25pm
Sheila Davis Designs

This is not a very good pic but this is Cirrus and clear etched.If you use the non etching factor to your advantage it can be kinda cool. (I learned this from Pat Franz.)
Attached Images

Old 2010-12-08, 6:37pm

Alright I need to see some pictures using it as an encasing. It sounds interesting.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-12-08, 7:27pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
This is not a very good pic but this is Cirrus and clear etched.If you use the non etching factor to your advantage it can be kinda cool. (I learned this from Pat Franz.)
I like this!
Old 2010-12-08, 7:34pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Thanks Lisi!
Patty also talks about this and lots of other glass colors on her blog. The CIM website also has bead pics.Here's a link:
http://www.creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=3

Old 2010-12-08, 8:09pm

Try stringing some fine silver wire onto it. Kinda cool.
Old 2010-12-08, 9:30pm
Glass-aholic

It is one of my fav's for goddesses! just a small sculpted body type, no embellishments. However I mix in a stringer of another transparent, dark purple or cobalt, or a dark green. this seems to just me amazing! If I think of it I will snap a pic. I think I have one down stairs. I have also found that it is a great base for silver glass, especially the reductions. It makes psyche sing! It will however fume the cirrus. over all I love it. Ink blue one the other hand... that is not for me! frit that bubbles if it does not explode on you first! not crazy about it at all. I CIM in general, good stuff!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-12-09, 4:43am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Ah HA!!!! I'm not the only one then that has been scratching their head over this glass!!!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-12-09, 10:47am
Ad astra per aspera

I just made two beads with Cirrus, and I'll post them as soon as they're cooled down this evening. The first was a Cirrus sammich: thin base of clear, thin layer of Cirrus, random shards, thin layer of Cirrus, thin layer of clear. I heated it all into a smooth barrel, then "flutterized" it (the tab & pliers treatment). It makes the shards nice and misty looking.

The second bead was, again, a base of clear and a layer of Cirrus, then I applied shards and messed around with them a little with dragging and twisting the edges. One end went nearly opaque, but I reheated it and brought it back to milky, then ran one ring of Cirrus around the center, over one of the shards. Going into the kiln, they both looked pretty darned good.

(We won't discuss the silvered glass beads I'm ruining, though.)

Old 2010-12-09, 11:09am

I've still got the best part of a quarter-pound of Cirrus Unique--the batch that goes straight to opaque cloudy white, which annoys me because I wanted the one that stays translucent. Still and all, I've found that if you use a base of opaque dark blue and run trails of Cirrus and Black Nebula over it, a reducing flame will turn the Cirrus a pale yellow which goes pretty well with the other colors.
However, if someone wants to trade some translucent for my opaque, I wouldn't complain.
Old 2010-12-09, 1:51pm

It is great for encasing dichroic or pixie dust! Also some dark colors too..

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-12-09, 2:28pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

This is a clear core with a layer of Cirrus with one of Joe's shards on it, I'll have to look up which one. I was pleased to see how the shard webbed out like ultra-black. In person you can really see the play between the fore and back round.

It is a bear to take a photo of.

This is the same idea, with a twist

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2010-12-09, 2:33pm
Ad astra per aspera

Ohhhh Pam, those are marvelous!!!

Old 2010-12-10, 8:07pm

Great pictures and ideas guys. I'm going to try it with some of my silver glass and see what happens.

Old 2010-12-11, 7:05am
aka Pele's Fire

OMG you guys can make something out of cirrus? I love it and dream of making beads with it. It is so beautiful, but the stuff I had, I chunked.... at least a pound which I had dad for several years. It wasn't even compatible with itself. I have never been able to make a bead out of it. It just cracks all to pieces.

On the eight day, God created fire.....he created big, big, blazing fire.
Old 2010-12-11, 9:24am
Formerly FishBulb

Terry, I've found it should go directly into a kiln with a glow on the bead. I don't know if you batch anneal but I do so on occasion and I've found cirrus does NOT batch well. If you do get anymore try the garaging method.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-12-11, 9:36am
aka Pele's Fire

Thanks, Angie. I will try that. The last I had would just shatter in the flame no matter how many times you flashed it or how diligent you thought you were. If you did get one in the kiln it was sure to be horribly cracked. I did buy another quarter pound to try. I though maybe that stash was a fluke and I just got a bad batch. It is a lovely glass and I would love for it to work for me.

T

Old 2010-12-11, 10:36am
Formerly FishBulb

Really! That does sound like a fluke. I've never had that happen with Cirrus. I hope the next batch works properly for you. If not, take it back! It shouldn't be *that* shocky. The only stuff I've met that is that bad is Okie Dokie Artichokey; even murrini made with that glass will crack even with prewarming.

Old 2010-12-11, 10:47am
aka Pele's Fire

Angle, I was thinking the same thing. Glass should not be this hard to work. When I get back to the torch, I will see if I can find the new sample and try again. Cirrus rolled in a frit called sea pearl is just lovely.

t

Old 2010-12-11, 8:34pm
Formerly FishBulb

Oooohh, where do you get Sea Pearl? Who makes it? Please show pics when you can! I love Cirrus and anything with a name like Sea Pearl has got to be good too.

Old 2010-12-11, 9:48pm

Angie here is a link to a frit blend called Sea Pearl, by Val Cox

http://valcoxfrit.com/seapearljar.aspx
Old 2010-12-11, 10:10pm
Formerly FishBulb

Thank you Dreams! That is just gorgeous. I've wanted to buy from Val Cox for the longest time but it's hard to narrow it down!

Old 2010-12-11, 10:47pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Pam used Lauscha clear for all her cirrus work. That may be a factor in the survival rate.

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.