Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-05-18, 12:36am

Just a couple things from me a organic pendent and a Dragon eye destined for an exhibition in Adelaide, Australia at the end of this year to raise funds for an eye clinic being set up by an Australian optometrist in order to treat eye diseases in the kingdom of Bhutan in the Himalayas.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-05-18, 12:00pm
glass-a-delic

Very very nice Kare! Love the colors!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-05-21, 9:59am

Nice! I love the colors!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-05-22, 9:14am
glass-a-delic

Here's a couple of more pendants i did today:

Old 2008-05-22, 4:26pm

Great Work Voic!!!!!!!!!

Old 2008-05-23, 8:17pm

a pendent from me
Attached Images

Old 2008-05-25, 11:04pm

this one is actully round!!!
Attached Images

Old 2008-05-26, 8:42am
Master Procrastinator

OMG Kare! Those pendants are GORGEOUS!!!

Care to share your technique? I've seen several examples of that last style so am thinking that there must be a tutorial somewhere.

Old 2008-05-26, 8:59am

Happy to
you need:
metal florist frog (got the one I used here at Micheal's back in the flower area)
An Amber purple type of glass (AP, DAP, This is green amber purple, each company has something similar, any heavily silvered trans)
16 mm clear rod
10mm clear

1. pull the end of your color out so you have about 2-3" of stringer, not too thin

2. Punty up about 2" of the 16mm to your 10mm rod

3. heat 16mm rod and form a maria

4. press down on frog to make indentions (you can hand poke but I'm not good at keeping them even)

5. turn your flame way down so you don't melt the maria and apply a dot of color over each hole. Be Careful not to apply too much heat to the surface of you melt your holes.

6. Turn the heat back up and stat melting everything in. Better to press lightly more often so you don't smash it.

This is quick and dirty hope it helps I did fish scale backing so there was a drk background for the amber purple color.

Last edited by Kare TX; 2010-02-10 at 9:23pm.
Old 2008-05-26, 9:01am

Posted the flower a while ago, assumed you were asking about the trapped air??
Flower is harder to explain. let me know and I'll try

Old 2008-05-26, 9:39am

This is just the basics. This is really really simplified and recommend taking a class with any of the wonderful people who make such incredible flowers and butterflies. There are many tips (what color combos work best) and affects they can pass on.

Need:
16mm Clear rod
10 mm clear
Petal color (pulled to stringer) You can use a twisty, but would start with one color unless you are good at pulling even stringers
Stamen color (pulled to stringer)
Leaf Color (pulled to stringer)

1. Punty 2” of 16mm to 10mm rod heat and form a maria
2. When you look at the end you can see cold rings from pressing, use these as guidelines. You can also see the end of the 10mm rod this is shown as a light black line.
3. Put your first row of petals down where you see the outline of the 10mm rod through the maria. If you indent slightly where the marks are you will get points in the petal.
4. heat this in some, should just barely start sinking in
5. Add Stamen
6. heat this in some, should just barely start sinking in and shrinking inward
7. Add the next layer of petals about where you put the first layer (outline of 10mm rod)
8. Keep doing this for layers as many as you want
9. When you have your flower petals you last layer is leaves and a green dot in the center (stem)
10. heat and implode, when you would form a marble pull the end with small clear rod (with leaves etc down to make a stem), add a loop.

Again this is really basic and I am not a flower guru and a hands-on class is really the best way to learn this.
Attached Images

Old 2008-05-26, 10:08am
glass-a-delic

Very nice Kare, thanks for sharing.

Fish scale backing? i think i know what u mean but can u explain this just to be sure?

And in the second tutorial, u say: 7. Add the next layer of petals about where you put the first layer (outline of 10mm rod) .. above the first layer ?? or just right near them? How much space do you leave between the layers?

And whats a metal florist frog?

Old 2008-05-26, 10:15am
glass-a-delic

2. When you look at the end you can see cold rings from pressing, use these as guidelines. You can also see the end of the 10mm rod this is shown as a light black line

hmm... i always melt those rings before placing the design.. thats a very good tip Kare!! i dont know why i havent tought about this.. i guess in my mind those rings were a bubble source somehow...

Old 2008-05-26, 4:29pm
Master Procrastinator

thanks Kare! Now if mine could turn out 1/2 as good as yours, I'd be thrilled.

Old 2008-05-26, 7:45pm

You put the layer almost on top of the first, slightly outside. The first petals should be slightly imploded so that there is glass over it.

Fish scale is dots (usually 2 to 3 color layers) slightly overlapping so they look like scales. I'll see if have a picture.

here is a picture of a "frog"
Attached Images

Old 2008-05-26, 7:51pm

These are soft but you get the idea.
you build a row at a time. If you need more I'll try to draw something up

Old 2008-06-17, 3:16am
Love 2 Sculpt Kritters

You guys are rockin! It's been awhile since I've posted in this thread. I played with what little boro I have this weekend and I thought Id share it with you all. It's the first turtle I've done using boro. The big guy is a focal and the two lil guys are for earrings hehehe.

Old 2008-06-17, 8:38am

Cute Rifie!

Old 2008-06-18, 5:30am
Love 2 Sculpt Kritters

thanks Dawn

Old 2008-06-20, 8:20am

This piece is on the small side, about the diameter of a U.S. nickle. Smaller than the acrylic holder it is sitting on, sorry about that, kind of messed up the pictures.
Old 2008-06-20, 11:08am
glass-a-delic

Thats very beautiful Jodi!

Old 2008-06-20, 11:14am

Jodi - it's gorgeous!

Old 2008-06-20, 5:06pm

jodi I love it!

Old 2008-06-22, 5:24am

here are a couple of fish from me. What have you been up to?
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-22, 7:26pm

gott'a dragonfly
what do the rest of you newbies have?
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-22, 11:48pm

I came here to get my fill of boro (since the other site is down) and is it just me or is the date of the posts terribly wrong? Or has it really been that long since someone posted here?

Old 2008-06-23, 4:09am

we get a few post here and there, Dawn and I take turns bumping. But not nearnly as active as the newbie thread on WC.

Old 2008-06-24, 1:37pm

Kare, I love your fishes!

Jodi, your implossions are awesome!!

I too am missing WC. But this is ok here. I do like the boro room here now that I found it last night!

* website/blog:
Old 2008-06-25, 8:28pm

seems really quiet tonight...
did these earlier this week, worked soft again tonight but going back to boro tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-26, 7:51am
Member of the Booger7

I love your fishy!

I made this during a demo at a motorcycle rally in New York. I reduced the crap out of it because I only take one little concentrator with me for demos and I had to turn the propane way up. I still thought it turned out kind of cool minus the baby poop color. Mom did the wire wrapping.
I did a wig wag using some shorts in greys & black to make the tire tread, which is honestly the coolest part of the bike, but the picture doesn't show it.

Dianna -