Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2010-01-09, 7:56pm

Kristi and Sonje--- got room for one more? Paul can't make it next weekend so I'm going to be there BOTH days. LIFE IS GOOD. (Oh and I have a date with him tomorrow so life IS good!)

Yeah... two days!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-01-09, 9:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
For heavens sake! I thought you fell off the face of the planet! It is so good to get a note from you here. Kristi and I were just talking and I can't remember why but your name came up and we both said we hadn't heard from you in forever.

What's up with you? Not torching for a year? OMWord, that must be awful. I hope all is well over in the Rumford area.

Sue
Eric was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes at the end of the summer after being sick for a while. We are also participating in a clinical trial in Worcester, MA that has kept us pretty occupied. It seems like I've been traveling and on the go non-stop since the end of August! (Previous to that, I was working outside the home for a change). My studio is nearly done, we put my upper cabinets in tonight. Hopefully within a month I can get reorganized and back to the torch! I'm going to try to make it at least one day of the Jam- I'm not sure I'm ready to leave Eric overnight quite yet though the distraction would do me a world of good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-10, 9:19am

Cyndi,

I'm so sorry Eric got this diagnosis. Drat, that is hard on a kid. He must be, what, 13-ish by now? I hope you can make it but understand if you can't. It would be so good to have some of us old-timers together again! (Bet not many call YOU an old-timer but you know what I mean!)

Everyone: I am heading to Bangor today and will get the right size sead beads and some crochet cotton (cro-sheen). Looking forward to next weekend more than I can tell you.

I think I'll also bring my viking knit. I need some help on finishing it. I have a length and the cones and all the rest. I just need to watch as it gets put together. I think I can do it but I'd rather be sure. Know someone can help and thanks in advance!

Sue
Old 2010-01-10, 3:48pm
Ave

Hi All..
It's been 2 years..(back when I was a really green newbie) since I first met you all! I am gonna be there. This comes at the perfect time for me to be able to get off my blasted hill, shake off the "Cabin Fever" and 'talk glass' to someone besides myself for a change.. I will bring an Armenian Turkey Lentil Soup, some crusty bread an some good cheese.. Perhaps some wine.. I can't wait to see what everyone is doing?
Avery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-10, 5:07pm

Default BAM!

Wow, this is going to be a great JAM! It looks like winter and cabin fever are pushing people out to warm up by the torches. It's going to be a weekend of great glass, food, drink and fabulous people! Can't wait!
Old 2010-01-10, 6:25pm

Avery! I love it! I am so glad you can make it. This is shaping up to be a fantastic glass jam!

I did say meatballs and gravy, right?

Kristi told me ACMoore had a sale on seed beads so after our movie, Paul and I stopped in. I have 6 colors of size 6 seed beads AND bought 2 different sizes of crochet cotton. Did not see a brand Cro-Sheen but bought (I think) size 5 and size 3? Or size 5 and size 10? I know nothing... but I have two different sizes of thread.

Virginia- I have 2 gluten free mixes I found for you. One is brownies and can't remember the other so expect it to be a surprise!

How am I going to get thru this week? And Kristi, Sonje and I are sharing space at The Granite Inn so even after the party, I will be snoring with buds! Next weekend is going to be great.

Sue
Old 2010-01-11, 11:15am

Default Thread for Bead Crochet

Don't stress about the cro-sheen thread. In fact what several of us have already will be enough for dozens of people to start a practice string with. After you get the hang of it, you'll want to do your actual work with a finer thread. Several veteran bead crocheter favor 'C-lon' for its strength. Recently I've been reading about 'Jean Stitch Thread' as being a good choice because it's strong, smooth, doesn't stretch (100% polester), and easily fits even smaller bead sizes.

Bring some beads -- size 8 or size 6 -- Yes, a good way to learn is to string them in a sequence of six, but with several people bringing some beads, we can get a mix from each other's stash. So too, don't stress if you don't have 6 different colors.

Hooks: Find a small steel hook to fit the thread. The hooks we're talking about are pretty fine. It's a Steel Hook we're using, not an aluminum hook, the sizing is quite different. See the hooks on the green field here: http://www.jessica-tromp.nl/crochet_...ersion%201.JPG
(if you're practicing with Pony Beads you'll have to have larger thread, and a larger hook.)

About Jean Stitch Thread from: http://www.beadwrangler.com/insidethreads.htm#Presencia

Jean Stitch Thread - What a find! Jean Stitch is a 100% spun polyester thread with an equivalent thickness of size "D" silk thread. It feels very soft, luxurious and smooth and is very strong. Jean Stitch comes on 200-yard spools. There are now 26 solid colors available. I worked with YLI to add a gray color Jean Stitch and now it is available. You will find Jean Stitch thread in solid colors at Beadwrangler Mall. Jean Stitch is a twisted thread that is luxurious in texture and sheen. It is machine washable, dry cleanable and colorfast. This thread is easy to crochet or knit with and the fiber/ply does not easily separate. Jean Stitch is much stronger for bead crochet ropes and larger bead crochet or knit bags than cotton fibers. I have a bead crocheted purse, about 10" long with over 500 grams of beads using Jean Stitch thread. I would never have imagined making this purse until I discovered Jean Stitch.

Jean Stitch can be used for crocheting or knitting with and without beads. Seed Beads size 6/0 through 14/0 will fit on Jean Stitch. I usually switch to thinner thread when working with size 13/0 and smaller seed beads. Jean Stitch can be used for satin stitch and other embroidery techniques when using fabrics and counted cloth that allow for the thread thickness. Jean Stitch can be used as warp thread in loom weaving for tapestries that do not require heavy warp threads. Jean Stitch can be used as weft thread on small tapestries. Jean Stitch makes great macramé' thread for fine work. Try it as warp threads for pin weaving when you want to use seed beads rather than larger beads in a piece. Metallic threads can be combined with Jean Stitch in any of these techniques. I string seed beads onto Jean Stitch and Fine Metallic thread at the same time when crocheting some items for special effects and then add metallic threads on the surface as embellishment. String beads on Jean Stitch and make beaded braids. Finish the ends with crochet, stitchery or other techniques. I have one multiple bead strand necklace using Jean Stitch thread and I added bead crochet to the Jean Stitch ends for a strong support to the bead strands. I have hooked the bead strands on doorknobs more than once and the Jean Stitch did not break.

Last edited by Playing with Fire!; 2010-01-11 at 7:10pm.
Old 2010-01-11, 11:19am

Quote:
Avery! I love it! I am so glad you can make it. This is shaping up to be a fantastic glass jam!

I did say meatballs and gravy, right?

Kristi told me ACMoore had a sale on seed beads so after our movie, Paul and I stopped in. I have 6 colors of size 6 seed beads AND bought 2 different sizes of crochet cotton. Did not see a brand Cro-Sheen but bought (I think) size 5 and size 3? Or size 5 and size 10? I know nothing... but I have two different sizes of thread.

Virginia- I have 2 gluten free mixes I found for you. One is brownies and can't remember the other so expect it to be a surprise!

How am I going to get thru this week? And Kristi, Sonje and I are sharing space at The Granite Inn so even after the party, I will be snoring with buds! Next weekend is going to be great.

Sue
Hi Sue,
Thank you for the gluten free goodies!
Don't worry about the thread, as I mentioned in the previous post... you've got lots of beads, we'll have plenty of thread. If you have a small hook to work with, we'll be fine.

Old 2010-01-11, 11:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabunting View Post
Hi All..
It's been 2 years..(back when I was a really green newbie) since I first met you all! I am gonna be there. This comes at the perfect time for me to be able to get off my blasted hill, shake off the "Cabin Fever" and 'talk glass' to someone besides myself for a change.. I will bring an Armenian Turkey Lentil Soup, some crusty bread an some good cheese.. Perhaps some wine.. I can't wait to see what everyone is doing?
Avery
Can't believe it's been 2 years! It'll be good to see you! Oooooh, wine, soup, cheese, bread!!!!!!! (That Armenian Turkey Lentil sounds really intriguing!)

Old 2010-01-12, 11:23am

Phyllis is coming! And she's coming loaded for bear-- she's gonna help us with bead crocheting!

Virginia- I am making sweet and sour meatballs AND I'm using tapioca bread for the meatball mixture so you can eat them! I am so psyched that I thought of this. I am glad to be able to contribute something that you can eat without pain, assuming anyone can eat my cooking without pain!

I am also donating two of BeadboxMan's display cases to the drawings we always have. Happy to have more people aware of what a wonderful display case he makes out of cigar boxes.

Life is good!

Sue
Old 2010-01-13, 2:27pm
Keeper of the Flame

Weather looks good for the weekend. Reservations made. However, I may change my previously mentioned potluck donations. Will keep you informed.
Old 2010-01-13, 3:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazze View Post
Weather looks good for the weekend. Reservations made. However, I may change my previously mentioned potluck donations. Will keep you informed.
YAY!!! Your Cheesecakes were delicious... hint hint....(I know, I'm evil with a great taste buds!) lol... It will be so good to see you, Cynthia.

Are you and JoJo carpooling?

Looking forward to seeing you.

Sue
Old 2010-01-13, 6:11pm

yup, jazze and i are rollin thru together.
cant wait!
Old 2010-01-13, 6:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo101 View Post
cant wait!
Most excellent!

SUe
Old 2010-01-13, 8:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo101 View Post
cant wait!
Yea! will be wonderful to see you!

Old 2010-01-13, 8:47pm

Quote:
Virginia- I am making sweet and sour meatballs AND I'm using tapioca bread for the meatball mixture so you can eat them! I am so psyched that I thought of this. I am glad to be able to contribute something that you can eat without pain, assuming anyone can eat my cooking without pain!

I am also donating two of BeadboxMan's display cases to the drawings we always have. Happy to have more people aware of what a wonderful display case he makes out of cigar boxes.

Life is good!

Sue
Oh Sue, thanks so much for doing this, it's really thoughtful of you, and know that I really appreciate it! Though you are a silly goose. We love everything you bring!

BeadBox Man's boxes are sooooooooooo cool, thanks Sue!

Old 2010-01-14, 5:54pm

ok im bringing sodas and chips some millie door prizes
Old 2010-01-14, 9:48pm
It's about time!

I thought I might RSVP before I arrive on your doorstep unannounced!! Not sure what I'm going to bring yet, other than wine, that is!! See you Saturday!!
Old 2010-01-14, 9:55pm
Playing with Fire!

Hi Sonje, we are very happy that you can join us! From what we can tell so far, this is going to be a VERY well attended Glass Jam and should be lots of fun.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2010-01-15, 11:03am

Default Soon

Ok, it's almost time! Shopping for food and getting ready. Looking forward to a joyful weekend of glass friends. Travel safely. Rest up, some of us will be up late!
Old 2010-01-15, 11:24am
Ooh - I could use that!

It has finally registered in my brain that Glass Jam is this weekend! I will be there with a rice pudding, munchy type things and a bottle of wine.

Laura
Old 2010-01-15, 11:36am

I am toasting tapioca bread right now on my lunch hour, in preparation for my gluten free meatballs, which will go in my sweet and sour sauce.... (= amounts catsup & grape jelly). Virginia can have some s&s meatballs without pain this weekend!

ha ha ho ho he he....

Packing tonight and be there with bells on tomorrow... what time was it anyway?

lol

Sue
Old 2010-01-15, 4:50pm

The meatballs are in the oven. The s&s sauce is done.

At work today, during slow times, I strung seed beads on my crochet cotton in preparation of my bead crocheting lessons.

I just have to pack everything that I have stacked and, oh, I'm bringing a camera! ha ha ho ho he he.

Can't wait to be on the road again, can'twaittobeontheroadagain, thelifeIloveismakingglasswithmyfriends and Ican'twaittobeontheroadagain.

No extra charge for the song!

Sue
Old 2010-01-15, 9:49pm
Keeper of the Flame

Quote:
YAY!!! Your Cheesecakes were delicious... hint hint....(I know, I'm evil with a great taste buds!) lol... It will be so good to see you, Cynthia.

Are you and JoJo carpooling?

Looking forward to seeing you.

Sue
Hey Sue,

Yes, Jo and I are carpooling. Leaving CT Saturday morning so we will be there mid afternoon. I will be bringing mini gingered pumpkin cheesecakes(gluten free), a greek inspired dish made with a layer of savory seasoned(onions, cinnamon, garlic,tomato sauce and feta cheese) ground turkey, between two layers of rice elbow pasta and topped with a custard like white sauce with a hint of pepper and nutmeg,(Sorry Virgina the cream sauce has 6Tbs rice flour and 2Tbs wheat flour), and a small carrot cake.
Old 2010-01-16, 5:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazze View Post
Hey Sue,

Yes, Jo and I are carpooling. Leaving CT Saturday morning so we will be there mid afternoon. I will be bringing mini gingered pumpkin cheesecakes(gluten free), a greek inspired dish made with a layer of savory seasoned(onions, cinnamon, garlic,tomato sauce and feta cheese) ground turkey, between two layers of rice elbow pasta and topped with a custard like white sauce with a hint of pepper and nutmeg,(Sorry Virgina the cream sauce has 6Tbs rice flour and 2Tbs wheat flour), and a small carrot cake.
Cynthia!

I KNEW there was a reason I love you! And gluten free? Virginia loves you too! I finally got on board and my meatballs are gluten free too! Yes, Virginia, I love you too!

I am so excited. Eating breakfast right now and leaving in about 20 minutes.

Can't wait to see you and Jo.

Sue
Old 2010-01-16, 6:44am
It's about time!

I'm out of here in 15 min!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHH!
Old 2010-01-16, 8:04am

I'm leaving in a couple minutes--I just gave Luna her pill--have to go pick up an Rx for myself--MOM made some wheat/gluten free mac & cheese for me (veggie for Pipyr, wheat/gluten free for Virginia--I think of BOTH my favorite " ladies with food issues" & @ Sue) & she's making some snickerdoodles too!! (for sue of course ). She volunteered to do "my" cooking for me--I've been doing double shifts all week so I could get the weekend OFF!!!
I've got a couple cans of coke & sprite in my car....see you in about 2 hours!!

Oh & I'm bringing a BATCH of DEVARDI glass--quarter pounds of several colors--including PINK--so anyone who wants to "try without ordering" is WELCOME to share & give it a tryout while you're there

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-01-17, 3:50pm

Whew! What a workout! What a wonderful two days... and here is the link to the proof of the fun!

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151310

Enjoy!

Sue