LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-10-18, 2:53pm
Just Learning

Default trying to figure out my vent system!?!?

Ok well I have spent hours scouring through the forums and absorbing information. I feel like I have figured out the right way to build my system. I am currently working at my garage door, but I wont be able to do this much longer due to the cold weather. here is a picture

I am going to move to the east wall of my garage and install a hood system. here is a picture that I drew on of the new location.

I want to build my hood above the table (first question) how far above the table should the hood be? I want to build it the length of the table which is 60 in wide and 31 in deep to the wall I plan on making my funnel 31 inches high. with the calculations that dale has said it is looking like I will need a 1300 CFM fan is that true? if so what kind of fan is right
a inline

DUCT BOOSTER

Curve Blower

ETC,ETC,...I just don't know what kind I need
Thank you for reading another ventilation post and for your help.
Old 2007-10-18, 7:34pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Ok...

A hood 31x60 has a ""face opening" of 1860 square inches....

The converts to 12.9 square feet. 1860/144=12.9166666

Current thinking is you need 125 cfm of air flow per square foot of hood opening (face opening)...

12.9 square feet times 125 equals 1614.5 cfm....

So desirable flow will be 1615 cubic feet a minute.

The best blower you can use will be the "curve blower" more commonly referred to as a "squirrel cage" blower...

Second choice will be a inline....

As for the propeller fan blowers, I would skip them....

Height of hood over work surface should be kept as low as practical.. Meaning just high enough that you don't bump your head on it when working at torch... Usually that is about 24 inches...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-10-18, 8:13pm
Just Learning

So the current thinking now is 125 CFM I had done the figures at 100 CFM thats how I got the 1300 rating. what should I be looking at as a price for my squirrel cage blower at the 1600 rating? and where should I go for it Granger, Home Depot???? I am also saving up for a bluebird XL as well but I understand that the ventilation is more important than a good kiln. I just want to be able to do some more creative stuff than small beads, and don't want to have to spend all my money on ventilation.
Old 2007-10-19, 9:38am

I think the only way you can get around such a large fan it to build a smaller hood. I can see why you would want your hood to be 31" deep. Is is possible to reduce your width?
Old 2007-10-19, 11:13am
Just Learning

I could passably make it 10 in smaller I just want it to be big enough to grow with me and work with 2 torches. that would drop the SF by 2 and bring my CFM back to 1350. that would help reduce the cost a lot. thanks for the idea.
Old 2007-10-19, 2:03pm

One thing you can do is put a back and sides on the hood. This will reduce your face area to the height of the hood above the table.

For example if you go with 24 inches it would be 60x24 = 1440/sqin divided by 144 = 10 sqft times 125 = 1250 cfm needed.

Cutting down to 22 inches high would be 60x22 = 1320/sqin divided by 144 = 9.167 sqft times 125 = 1146 cfm needed.

I have mine at 20 inches which seems to be a good height for seated work on beads and small sculpture. you can see my setup in this link: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64554

At 20 inches the figures would run 60x20 = 1200/sqin divided by 144 = 8.34/sqft times 125 = 1042 cfm needed.

With sides and back, I have heard you can cut down the multiplier to 80 or 100 instead of 125, but my view was it is better to have more suction just in case.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-10-19, 2:40pm
Just Learning

I have thought about that but I am 6'6" and even the 24" hight was going to be tight for me so I was going with 30" above the table because I do stand and work on occasion. That would make it about the same as the hood and I like the way that a hood looks over an enclosed booth. thanks for the suggestion and I have looked at your setup and considered something like this but the benefits of the hood outweigh.
Old 2007-10-19, 8:13pm
Gentleman of Leisure

You can always raise table or bench some. Even 2 inches makes difference. Or narrow hood....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-10-19, 9:03pm
Just Learning

yeah I plan to narrow my hood to 31" x 50". I am looking right now for the right blower and a HVAC contractor to make my hood. anybody have any references here in OR I would really appreciate it.
Old 2007-10-20, 6:58am
Evil Glass Enabler

Just a FYI, Paul is 6'4". We definitely made the bench to his height specs. He also stands to work on occassion. If you look closely at the middle section of the bench you will notice the center panel comes out even if he did cover up the latches with goggles. The second open picture shows the middle panel open the way it is when you're working. Thanks, Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togra View Post
I have thought about that but I am 6'6" and even the 24" hight was going to be tight for me so I was going with 30" above the table because I do stand and work on occasion. That would make it about the same as the hood and I like the way that a hood looks over an enclosed booth. thanks for the suggestion and I have looked at your setup and considered something like this but the benefits of the hood outweigh.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."

Last edited by angelique_redhead; 2007-10-20 at 7:02am. Reason: Additional information.
Old 2007-12-02, 2:05pm

Togra, I am trying to figure out a ventilation system in my garage. The configuation of placement in my garage appears to be very similar to yours. Along the wall. I would not be able to have a depth of more than 24 inches but could be 5 or 6 feet long. Are you putting an opening in the wall behind your duct work to vent outside? I have to figure some way to vent out without a hole in the wall. I am wondering if I can vent out the open garage door. But, I would have to move that duct work back inside when the door is closed. Any suggections. There is a door on the other side of the garage that could be used for replacement air. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you, Freddy