LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-06-06, 9:43am
Angie09

Default How to tell Dark Ivory from Ivory?

How do I tell which rods are Dark Ivory and which are Ivory? Is there some kind of test I can do? (If this has been answered, I apologize, but I didn't know exactly what to search.)

Thanks!
Old 2012-06-06, 10:11am
Born Facing Left

Can be tricky. The old light ivory was smooth to the touch as opposed to the rougher dark ivory, but that's not always the case now.

For me, I just go by the color of the rods; when placed side by side there is a noticeable difference. You could also melt the ends of a rod or two, the dark ivory will have obvious striations, and the light ivory will have a creamier appearance with little striation.

To add another twist....there have been lot's of different batches of both dark and light ivories that vary in color.

If you were to post pictures, it's possible that some of us could tell by the surface color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-06-06, 10:12am
too many rods in the fire

Hi Angie, I am no real help because I just decide dark versus light by eyeballing them!!

I know some batches of ivory craze more than others, but that wouldn't really help determine between light and dark.... I will be interested to see what others do to differentiate between the two.

Old 2012-06-06, 12:46pm
Glass-aholic

some of the dk ivory that is smooth has a transparent almost carmel stripe or glaze on them.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-06-06, 2:56pm
Angie09

The bundle I have (that the tag fell off) is the exact same color as my light ivory but the rods are a little rough so I'm thinking (hoping) it's Dark Ivory. Just thought maybe there was a color I could put on it that does something different on ivory than it does on dark ivory. Nothing huh?
Old 2012-06-06, 3:23pm
Born Facing Left

Angie, my current light ivory is really rough.

Old 2012-06-06, 3:28pm
Angie09

Well Sherry ... That makes things even more confusing. Aarrggh!!!
Old 2012-06-06, 3:46pm
state-eternal change

Melt an end of each and make a paddle. Strike each a few times with the flame, touching with a marver each time. The dark should "curdle" more than the light and be a darker after cooling, I would think.

Old 2012-06-06, 3:50pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
The bundle I have (that the tag fell off) is the exact same color as my light ivory but the rods are a little rough so I'm thinking (hoping) it's Dark Ivory. Just thought maybe there was a color I could put on it that does something different on ivory than it does on dark ivory. Nothing huh?
Intense Black maybe or Mosaic Green? Then do the same test with what you know are Dark and Light Ivory and see how they match up.

If you really can't tell, then maybe it doesn't make a difference in how you use it.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox