LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-02-01, 2:43pm
Torchaholic ;)

Just got a big 16oz bottle of BOM. It keeps cracking What bead release doesnt crack or break so easy. And is easy to clean out of beads. Im trying to make big hole beads as well as regular.
Old 2010-02-03, 12:33pm
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

I just had a bead come sliding off while working, my Bom is from last year, when I first opened it I put some in a small closed container and that worked great, now it had to be replaced from the same big jar and it's flaky and breaking as you look at it.
Katja
Old 2012-06-06, 3:40am

Angry Bucket of Mud Problems

I was so excited to see Bucket of Mud is available again so I ordered 2 big bottles. I loved it years ago. Unfortunately I've had problems with it since I got it. It sticks to the mandrel and will not come off! I've thinned it down, flame dried, air dried, dipped the mandrel fast, dipped it slow. Nothing helps this stuff to come off easily. So frustrated !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brooklyn Bead Goddess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-06-06, 7:52am
what's a senior moment ?

Not sure exactly what you mean by it's not coming off the mandrel. If you mean after your bead has been annealed, then all I do is take a little knife and scrape it off in the water after letting it soak for a bit. No biggie but if you're unhappy then email Kevin.

Old 2012-06-06, 10:15am
Born Facing Left

BOM doesn't dissolve in water, but that stick-to-the-mandrel quality is what makes it my favorite release...I do fairly violent things with many of my beads.

As Debbie said; scrape it off, or do what I do and use a little brass-bristled brush.

Old 2012-06-06, 3:59pm
Naysayer

When I used BOM I used to save dryer sheets that were used and use those to clean it off while they were still wet from soaking.

It's an option anyways!

Wait, lmao at 'violent things'!
Old 2012-06-06, 6:39pm

I also have problems. I can get my round beads off but anything larger does not come off the mandrel. It appears that that anything that has been marvered or pressed sticks to the mandrel even after soaking. I did not have this problem when I originally started using this bottle of BOM. I tried thinning it according to the directions but still no luck. It is also now cracking in the flame.
Old 2012-06-07, 6:57am
Born Facing Left

This is a trick that I picked up from Kimberly Affleck, it's a lifesaver. Soak your beads for a few minutes, then just rotate the bead until you feel it start to move. Don't try to take it off the mandrel yet. Put it back in the water and give it a good soak, I usually soak for 20 minutes or so. Now remove the beads....they should be much easier, now that the 'seal' of the release has been broken and water can get into the bead, so to speak.

Old 2012-06-07, 11:49am

Thanks for the tip, but I have tried that too. I have eventually gotten most of the long beads off but have bent many a mandrel.
Old 2012-06-07, 12:33pm
Born Facing Left

Another thing that I do is to use vise grips adjusted to firmly grip/lock on the mandrel. I place the grips very close to the bead, grasp the bead firmly, and get it to just start moving. The vise grips sort of stabilize the mandrel....but yeah, I bend mandrels too.

Old 2012-06-07, 1:13pm

I bought two bottles of BOM and hate it!

Fusion, Foster Fire and Mamma G's are my favorites. No problems with any of them!

Barbara
Old 2012-06-07, 1:32pm
Born Facing Left

Talk to 10 different lampworkers, and you'll get 10 different favorite bead release products. We all settle on our favorites for different reasons. I like BOM because it's basically bulletproof, but it takes a bit more work to remove the beads. Different strokes, etc.

Old 2012-06-11, 5:30pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
I do fairly violent things with many of my beads.
LOL

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-06-12, 8:26am

I love my BOM.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz
Old 2012-06-14, 12:35am

I used to use BOM until I got some Mama G's. I also have Sherry's tutorials and get violent with some of my beads too (cuz Sherry gave me permission).

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2012-06-16, 4:06pm
Superkitty

I've had good results mixing Bucket O Mud with Fusion.
Old 2012-06-17, 12:53pm

simple put, bucket o mud sucks now. i recently bought some foster fire release, that's proving to be really good stuff, the regular and heavy duty.
Old 2012-06-17, 12:54pm
Loving learning

Mine is working fine. Did you contact him?
Old 2012-06-22, 11:08am
Out walking the dog

I hate BOM! I have lost so many mandrels to wrestling my beads off. So many people say to thin it but it is already so thin that the tip of the mandrel doesn't stay covered and I like to make beads on the end. I just bought some Foster Fire which also looks thin to me and won't cover the edge rim of my brand new Sirius mandrel. I am scared to use it.

Old 2012-06-22, 1:00pm
Loving learning

Have you tried varying the "pull out" time? Faster & slower change the thickness of your coating.
Old 2012-06-22, 3:46pm
what's a senior moment ?

What Eileen said. After dipping in release, pull your mandrel out of the bottle slower for thinner coating, faster for heavier coating. I LOVE LOVE LOVE BOM ! Have a pair of vice grips handy. When you're ready to pull the bead off, work it back and forth and pull straight out. Works every time. I'm like Sherry too, I "torcher" my bead release ! lol !

Old 2012-06-22, 4:07pm
Out walking the dog

I may be dipping too fast but it was also flaking and cracking. I bought some Foster Fire, I've lost too much time messing with it but I will try slowing it down. Thanks!!

Old 2012-06-22, 5:58pm
Loving learning

I have good luck with counting kind of slowly, about an inch out for each 1..2..3..
Old 2012-06-25, 12:59pm

I was just gonna say that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Have you tried varying the "pull out" time? Faster & slower change the thickness of your coating.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-06-25, 1:03pm

I may be confused about what you just said so I will clarify. If you are trying to get thin release, take your mandrel out of the bead release slowly. If you want it thick, pull it out quickly. So don't slow down. You want to speed up. :^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenMorris View Post
I may be dipping too fast but it was also flaking and cracking. I bought some Foster Fire, I've lost too much time messing with it but I will try slowing it down. Thanks!!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-06-25, 3:33pm
Out walking the dog

Thanks Aimee!

Old 2012-06-25, 4:20pm

I also bought the new BOM. I had to mix some sludge with it. It was flaking so badly that I could not use it. i live in the south with a lot of humidity so that is a problem to. I loved the old version.

Old 2013-02-18, 8:22am

Default bead release.

I am stillusing some very old Bucket O' Mud but I find it works best when I mix it with Dirty Louis's Bead Release - and some water. I make it about cake batter thick and then air dry. If I dip quickly, then it comes out thin. I also find that DLBR is so "sticky" I can't get my beads off the mandrels. Anyone else? I haven't tried it with big hole beads tho. Bet it would be fab for that.