Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-09, 1:58pm
Dix Harrison

Default Seeking "words from the wise"...torch height questions!

I've been reading older LE posts....so...it turns out that the ergonomics of comfortable and posture-healthy work at the torch has many components. There's chair height, bench height, elbow support, neck position, hand position, wrist support, etc.

I am specifically interested in suggestions from other LE folks about torch height. I'm confident that my bench and chair height are pretty good. It's the torch height that I am questioning. I have looked at my instructional videos to see if I can get clues. I have noticed that several of the teachers have their torches raised from the bench top. Their elbows are supported by the bench top or a Creation Station platform. The torch is elevated so that it is just below eye-level. Essentially, their "work" is done in a flame that is about chin level or just below. They are working in a zone that is right at their chin.

This is so different than the ergonomics of my setup. I'm really short (5'1") and I currently sit pretty far ABOVE my torch. I look down on the flame which sits at about mid-chest height. I find myself leaning forward quite a bit.

So, tell me...do you have your torch raised from the bench top? What works for you?
Old 2012-11-09, 2:42pm
Now part of the Dark Side

I sit pretty far from my torch, but then again I'm farsighted and need new bifocals.
Old 2012-11-11, 12:15pm

My torch is slightly raised but that's mostly because I need more room underneath the flame for sculptural pieces. From a purely ergonomical point of view I would say that the right height depends both on your eyesight and on your arm size, you need to be able to work with a straight back comfortably.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Ebook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-11-11, 2:51pm
Happiness is....

I like to be the same height at the flame, I don't know why, I still can't make a centered bead. lol so that makes my chair sit fairly low.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2012-11-11, 3:00pm
Melting

I prefer to be slightly above my torch so I can see the face, but with my new studio set-up I am actually right at eye level. It was higher than I wanted, but there was no way to lower the table. I actually have to sit on a really thick outdoor cushion to get that high...

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2012-11-11, 3:03pm
Now part of the Dark Side

I mounted my torch on a piece of steel, and clamp that to the BOTTOM, of my bench. That gains me about 1.5" lower than I could otherwise.
Old 2012-11-11, 5:24pm
Salt Box Beads

I rest my complete forearms on my homemade rests in order to be the most comfortable. Sorry the second pic is so light. I had DH cut several 1/2" thick blocks of wood and we just kept adding them underneath the leather covered foam part until I reached the height I was most comfortable. I also have a torch that is adjustable and I prefer it pointing more up than straight ahead.

The best thing to do is set up your torch and see how your neck, shoulders, back and arms feel after a torching session.

No pains, tiredness, aches, tingling, numbness etc. means you are good to go. If any of the symptoms listed above or any other painful symptoms appear after a torching session you need to adjust.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-11-11 at 5:26pm.
Old 2012-11-12, 6:32am
ALWAYS SMILES

I have been curious about all of this,too....I stand now,but am going to try sitting after I receive my arrow springs arm rest device ....I have been having upper shoulder, neck & elbow issues....so my setup must not be ideal ! (I absolutely LOVE your setup Lorraine!)
Old 2012-11-13, 1:34am
Naysayer

Oh yes I have to make some of those cushy arm rests! My neck and back are ok, it's my tushy that's not lately
Old 2012-11-13, 10:33am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayo222 View Post
I have been curious about all of this,too....I stand now,but am going to try sitting after I receive my arrow springs arm rest device ....I have been having upper shoulder, neck & elbow issues....so my setup must not be ideal ! (I absolutely LOVE your setup Lorraine!)
Thank you. And yes, it does sound like you need to tweek your posture a bit. The set up you see in the photo took months to "dial in". I finally found that resting my whole forearm did the trick for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
Oh yes I have to make some of those cushy arm rests! My neck and back are ok, it's my tushy that's not lately
Hummm....maybe a cushiony gel seat pad?

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-11-13 at 10:35am.
Old 2012-11-13, 1:43pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansassky View Post
I have noticed that several of the teachers have their torches raised from the bench top. Their elbows are supported by the bench top or a Creation Station platform. The torch is elevated so that it is just below eye-level. Essentially, their "work" is done in a flame that is about chin level or just below. They are working in a zone that is right at their chin.
This is me.

The only pain I have from lampworking (or after lampworking) is in my legs and feet 'cause I need a new chair seat (height is perfect, but seat is too hard).

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-11-13, 5:03pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Thank you. And yes, it does sound like you need to tweek your posture a bit. The set up you see in the photo took months to "dial in". I finally found that resting my whole forearm did the trick for me.

Hummm....maybe a cushiony gel seat pad?
I have an air filled one from my chiropractor that I can adjust, it sort of helps. It's mostly my tailbone, thinking maybe one of those hemorroid rings
Old 2012-11-13, 8:04pm
Salt Box Beads

Hey, whatever works...LOL
Old 2012-11-14, 3:31pm
Playing with Fire!

I work on my torches with them at a height about 4-1/2" lower than the bench top... that varies as we have both low and high benches. I have made trapezoidal peninsulas suspended from the bottom side of the bench. This allows me the freedom to use long rods or tubes of glass at more extreme angles which facilitate a much quicker gather. See photo.

This one is mounted at our highest bench which measures 34" at the top, the top of the peninsula is 29". The torches are somewhat taller than average, so the face of the torch is at about 38" in the above photo.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2012-11-14, 5:38pm

what beast of a gtt is that? Kobuki?
Old 2012-11-14, 6:20pm
It's about having fun!

I've thought about this, I use a hot head and I would sure miss the way the flame shoots up right in front of me if I ever "crossed over" to the other torches.
As far as comfort I have a rig that I made that actually holds the mandrel while I spin it..I don't think I could do without that at the hot head, my arms would give out.
It's interesting to hear the answers.
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-11-15, 9:06am
Born Facing Left

I have my minor pointed as straight up as it can go, and I sit quite low in relation to the torch. I'm nearsighted, but I work at a distance from the torch where I can see clearly. I'm starting to have issues with my left elbow/arm tingling...I think I need some softer elbow pads to beef up the creation station pads.

Old 2012-11-16, 6:21pm
Naysayer

Sherry google RSI/ulnar stretches! I have ulnar issues, it's to the point of horrible and I cannot sleep sometimes because of the pain and tingles.

It's opposite of carpal tunnel and your elbow tingling is a sure sign of that, it's from twirling mandrels.
Old 2012-11-17, 2:14pm
sunscreen me baby

I change my height. My chair has a lever thingy. I work with the torch at about my chest until stringer work. Then I lower myself down so the torch is about chin level. I can get in really close and keep my arms tight to avoid any shaking.

~

Old 2012-11-17, 3:44pm

Dix- I struggled with this question for a good long time. Like you, I am 5'1" tall. My table is 29" tall. I use a creation station at the same level. My torch is mounted to the front of the table like the picture in post #7. The front of my office chair is 21". I am totally comfortable and experience no neck or back stress.

PS: I had to cut the legs off a little on my table to get the 29" height.
Old 2012-11-18, 1:47pm
Born Facing Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
Sherry google RSI/ulnar stretches! I have ulnar issues, it's to the point of horrible and I cannot sleep sometimes because of the pain and tingles.

It's opposite of carpal tunnel and your elbow tingling is a sure sign of that, it's from twirling mandrels.
Thanks so much! I will for sure check that out!