Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-09-14, 1:29pm
BabblingBeads

Default Arm Rest Help

Hi Everyone,

I am not sure where to post this but hope it should be here.

I been searching for any postings regarding arm rests. I see the CS's all the time. Are there other arm rests out there for sale also? I am researching them all before I decide to buy.

What does everyone use as their arm rests?

Thanks.
Old 2009-09-14, 2:07pm
Angie09

I have been using the CS but will be selling mine. Too confining and the hand rests were not comfortable for me. I purchased elbow rests but haven't set them up yet ... will report when I do.
Old 2009-09-14, 2:53pm

I have used Fishing rod holders that attach to a boat. I got mine at Academy for $2.99 couple of yrs ago. Got the Idea from someone on another forum, wet canvas was the forum. Just cann't think of the persons name. I made arm covers out of old cloth placemats, and stuff them with cotton batting.
I'll try to post pictures tomorrow if you are interested. They work for me.
Janet
Old 2009-09-14, 9:17pm
too many rods in the fire

I'd love to see pics of these! I don't fish, so I can't visualize them at all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-09-15, 4:17am

I can make you some great arm rest that you will never ware out . I used to make them but people didn't want to pay my price for them so I stopped. They move in 2 different spots so they can be moved out of the way if your not using them.If you would like to see them I'll try and get a set made up and post some pic's. Dan G
Old 2009-09-15, 1:03pm

Here is the the forum website.
www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269272
It shows the picture of the fishing rods used as arm rest.

Janet

Last edited by Janetlee; 2009-09-15 at 1:04pm. Reason: add more info
Old 2009-09-15, 1:41pm
BabblingBeads

Hi Dan,

I'd hate to have you make a set just to show me what they look like. Do you have them in your studio set up? If so, just take a picture of them. Right now I have two 2x4s clamped to my work area.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I can make you some great arm rest that you will never ware out . I used to make them but people didn't want to pay my price for them so I stopped. They move in 2 different spots so they can be moved out of the way if your not using them.If you would like to see them I'll try and get a set made up and post some pic's. Dan G
Old 2009-09-15, 1:43pm
BabblingBeads

What a great idea! I would have never thought of that. Thanks for posting about them and adding a picture of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCollie View Post
I have used Fishing rod holders that attach to a boat. I got mine at Academy for $2.99 couple of yrs ago. Got the Idea from someone on another forum, wet canvas was the forum. Just cann't think of the persons name. I made arm covers out of old cloth placemats, and stuff them with cotton batting.
I'll try to post pictures tomorrow if you are interested. They work for me.
Janet
Old 2009-09-15, 2:53pm

You are very welcome. Glad to do it.
Janet
Old 2009-09-16, 11:32am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

My DH made mine for me. He took a 3 x 4 board and a keyboard wrist rest. Cut the wrist rest in half and glued them to the board. They are the most comfortable rests I've every had!

I do have a CS but never use it. Maybe I should post it for sale. It has leather bean bags with it.
Old 2009-09-16, 8:39pm
Master Procrastinator

Can I chime in with a photo of the armrest that my BIL made for me? I love that he even painted it red. Now just need to get some sort of cushioning for the top. I have problems with carpal tunnel, & shaky hands & they help with both so far.

Here ya go:

Old 2009-09-17, 2:03am

I have some that hook on the end of my table. I know that there is a vendor that sells them but for the life of me I can't remember

Old 2009-09-17, 8:21am
BabblingBeads

What a neat idea. I never seen any like that before. Your BIL did a good job making them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Can I chime in with a photo of the armrest that my BIL made for me? I love that he even painted it red. Now just need to get some sort of cushioning for the top. I have problems with carpal tunnel, & shaky hands & they help with both so far.

Here ya go:

Old 2009-09-17, 8:24am
BabblingBeads

Can you show us a picture of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead crazy View Post
I have some that hook on the end of my table. I know that there is a vendor that sells them but for the life of me I can't remember
Old 2009-09-17, 9:39am
Master Procrastinator

Yes, he sure did. I sent him a photo of the one on Generations Glass site & he made me one to my specifications. Scroll down a bit in this link for the photo.

http://www.generationsglass.com/Torch_Accessories.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabblingBeads View Post
What a neat idea. I never seen any like that before. Your BIL did a good job making them.

Old 2009-09-20, 7:56pm

Here are the arm rest I was telling you about. They are made to move just like your arm. There are 2 joints that let it turn 360 so if you don't want to use them you can move them out of your way. The pads are covered with Leather so they don't go bad. These will be the last set of arm rest you will ever have to buy. The next set I make will be out of 1/2" pipe instead of 3/4" so they will be lighter. That way you can take they with you if you do demo's or are taking classes. Dan G

Old 2009-09-21, 11:02am
MacGalver

Dan these look great! What are the joints that allow them to swivel called? I recognize the elbows and such, but you've got two pieces that look like Tees, but they appear to swivel.... are they "unions"? How did you do that?!
Old 2009-09-21, 12:41pm
BabblingBeads

Hi Dan,

Those look great. May I ask what you sell them for?

Thanks.

Quote:
Here are the arm rest I was telling you about. They are made to move just like your arm. There are 2 joints that let it turn 360 so if you don't want to use them you can move them out of your way. The pads are covered with Leather so they don't go bad. These will be the last set of arm rest you will ever have to buy. The next set I make will be out of 1/2" pipe instead of 3/4" so they will be lighter. That way you can take they with you if you do demo's or are taking classes. Dan G

Old 2009-09-21, 12:44pm

I have two sleeves I make on my lathe that allow them to turn. There are 6 parts that have to be made on a lathe and a mill. I made the first ones for a good friend of mine that does lamp working . Her back would hurt her so bad she couldn't work as long as she would like. Drew Fritts also has a set he has used for about 4 years I think. I get $75.00 each or $150.00 for 2 some people think a set is just one of them. You will never ware them out I try to make tools like the olden days. Here are the new 1/2" rests I just got done with them last night. They are small enough you can take them with you to classes.

Last edited by DanG; 2009-09-23 at 4:10am.
Old 2009-09-25, 10:33pm
TravelLight&Don'tRush

Creation Station saved my arms...Well worth the investment
Old 2009-10-05, 5:19am

I've seen the Creation Station it is fine for light work but note for someone that needs real support. I gone for classes that have them in place, I take mine out so I don't brake them. The armrest are stationary and only move back and fourth.I can move mine any way I want when I am melting glass. If you don't want to use them just move them out of the way. When it come to tools you get what you pay for . If your shoulders and back are hurting then this is what you need. DanG
Old 2009-10-05, 3:53pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

That looks super Dan! I have CS but if I ever worked longer hours I would need something more for sure.
Quote:
I've seen the Creation Station it is fine for light work but note for someone that needs real support. I gone for classes that have them in place, I take mine out so I don't brake them. The armrest are stationary and only move back and fourth.I can move mine any way I want when I am melting glass. If you don't want to use them just move them out of the way. When it come to tools you get what you pay for . If your shoulders and back are hurting then this is what you need. DanG

Old 2009-10-10, 6:40pm
Salt Box Beads

I have made at least a dozen variations and these work the best. Leather covered bean bags on wood. The wood is small squares that I kept adding until I got it just the right height. Then wood glued the squares together and taped everything to the table... I wuve that tape..hehe

The ends of the padded part hang out over the bench a little bit. This was the only way I could torch with my shoulder injury..I also have to work slower until it heals so back to the HH for awhile. These were also very very INEXPENSIVE!

Basically if you do not have the funds to buy a creation station or other?, just get creative and keep trying. I still have my Toilet Paper rolls covered with foil and really like them but they were not high enough or long enough to help the shoulder injury.

Lorraine
Attached Images

Old 2009-10-17, 8:32am
Lampworker

here is a good pic of my arm rests

they are 4x4 wood or 2) 2x4s screwed together. cover with 2" foam rubber and faux leather. use a staple gun to attach the leather to the wood. i use L brackets to hold them to the 2x4 that the bench is made from.

they dont move like those really cool ones above, but work great.
Attached Images

Old 2009-10-17, 11:50am

Those are great I also like the metal bench and hood how many stations are there.

Last edited by DanG; 2009-10-17 at 11:53am.
Old 2009-10-18, 6:28pm

Default Still confused Dan

"]I get $75.00 each or $150.00 for 2 some people think a set is just one of them.[ Is a set one pair for $150 then?
Old 2009-10-18, 6:51pm

Hi
It's $75 for the right side and $75 for the left side $150 for the pair. DanG
Old 2009-12-04, 3:27pm

I am dealing with ulnar nerve problems so I am trying to solve this issue as well. There are several arm-rests that I am looking at right now, all of them can be made to articulate 360 degrees and can also be adjusted for more height above the table for a small fee. The pads can be as long as you like and have leather rests. I was thinking of using these articulating arm rests with the wrist rests from Bearfoot Tools.

Anyone have experience with these particular products?

http://www.ergo-items.com/armrests/e...t/ergorest.htm

http://ergopages.com/ergorest.html

http://888ergodir.com/page/ErgoDirec...cc163ef1234ebb

thanks

Bead Gallery
Old 2009-12-04, 4:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart Fire View Post
I actually have one of these here at my computer. I find it comfortable for working on my computer. But, the one I have doesn't rise much above the table surface, and would probably be too low for lampworking. I understand that there are some that do offer additional lift, though.

And, if anyone's interested in DanG's arm rests, I have a set (one left, one right, $150) here in stock.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978